What's a real Jeep?

A real Jeep is the AR-15 of the rifle world and the Glock of the pistol world.

Simple. Reliable. Serviceable. Malleable, Functional.

Did I say Fun? Well, that’s a given...It’s also a symbol of Freedom, perhaps its greatest quality.

For me, it's simplicity that makes a "real Jeep". Unfortunately, the interpretation of the word is so subjective. What is simple to one may be a technical nightmare to another. By my own notions of what is "simple", then I'd have to say any of the rigs that were pre-electronic wizardry. Carbs, distributors, non-ABS...hell, even non-airbag equipped, because "I'm willing to die like a man in a crash, and I don't need no stinkin' airbags!" Okay, maybe not for that reason, but yeah...no airbags. But again, this is what I perceive "simple" to be. I love parallel leaf springs, but more out of nostalgia than anything else (if I were to be totally honest). The coils on our TJs are superior for a Jeep's intended purpose. Both are simple, though the former is somewhat more so. The YJ has a better dash, as far as I'm concerned. It was simple, but not as simple as the CJ. My brother has a WWII vintage Jeep that my dad put a Ford flathead V8 in. People don't expect to see that under the hood. It's simple, but archaic...antiquated, even. Hell, I don't know. Maybe a real Jeep is whatever you own and enjoy. I mean, it can't get any more real than that!

Last edited:
For me, it's simplicity that makes a "real Jeep". Unfortunately, the interpretation of the word is so subjective. What is simple to one may be a technical nightmare to another. By my own notions of what is "simple", then I'd have to say any of the rigs that were pre-electronic wizardry. Carbs, distributors, non-ABS...hell, even non-airbag equipped, because "I'm willing to die like a man in a crash, and I don't need no stinkin' airbags!" Okay, maybe not for that reason, but yeah...no airbags. But again, this is what I perceive "simple" to be. I love parallel leaf springs, but more out of nostalgia than anything else (if I were to be totally honest). The coils on our TJs are superior for a Jeep's intended purpose. Both are simple, though the former is somewhat more so. The YJ has a better dash, as far as I'm concerned. It was simple, but not as simple as the CJ. My brother has a WWII vintage Jeep that my dad put a Ford flathead V8 in. People don't expect to see that under the hood. It's simple, but archaic...antiquated, even. Hell, I don't know. Maybe a real Jeep is whatever you own and enjoy. I mean, it can't get any more real than that!

You got it.....i can relate.

Reactions: Squatch
Here we go the actual definition.

jeep
jēp/
noun
trademark
noun: jeep; plural noun: jeeps
  1. a small, sturdy motor vehicle with four-wheel drive, especially one used by the military.
Origin
World War II: from the initials GP, standing for general purpose, influenced by ‘Eugene the Jeep,’ a creature of great resourcefulness and power represented in the Popeye comic strip.

Here we go the actual definition.

jeep
jēp/
noun
trademark
noun: jeep; plural noun: jeeps
  1. a small, sturdy motor vehicle with four-wheel drive, especially one used by the military.
Origin
World War II: from the initials GP, standing for general purpose, influenced by ‘Eugene the Jeep,’ a creature of great resourcefulness and power represented in the Popeye comic strip.
Drops mic !!!! lol

Reactions: JeepNWilly
The way I was taught a long time ago.

CJ= Civilian Jeep
YJ= Yuppie Jeep
TJ= Tomorrow's Jeep
MJ= Man's Jeep
LJ= Long Jeep
JK= Just Kidding.....

To me 7 slots means a Jeep... except that crap with the new cherokee's and patriots...WTF designed those...

Reactions: Squatch
The way I was taught a long time ago.

To me 7 slots means a Jeep... except that crap with the new cherokee's and patriots...WTF designed those...

I got a Renegade with 7 slots but is not a real jeep. It's a FIAT

IMG_0625 (1).JPG

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Solid axles and a jeep logo makes a real jeep. Or at least one that has had solid axles installed.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Gotta be Trail Rated to be a real Jeep! :banana: