What's a real Jeep?

The upside of the current JK trendiness is that there will be a lot of cheap JKs out here eventually.
When that happens, you can restore your TJ (Like so many are doing with CJs) and beat the hell out of a JK. :)
The thought of abusing a JK is strangely satisfying.

Reactions: Chris
I was about to say... Wouldn't the leaf springs keep the axle from moving laterally on the YJ?

So basically the track bar on the YJ is pretty much useless? Do a lot of people end up removing the track bars on the YJ then?
YJ owners think they are useless until they get in the rocks. I've watch many YJ's in JV get the front tires in a bind and try to turn. The wheels don't move but the body does. It just shifts back and forth over the axle because the leaf springs lean over. Basically if you get leaf springs flexible enough that you get some travel out of them, they need some lateral help.

We fixed the issue with hydro assist.

A real Jeep is a vehicle capable of traveling over almost any terrain and can be maintained in the field with standard hand tools by your average soldier.

This is getting harder to do every year as vehicles get more complex, but I think that the TJ is still close to the top of the list.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
The JK/U is a trendy vehicle right now. I see bunches of them driven by soccer moms and the like. The same as big SUV's in years past. Jeep did it right by making them plush enough for soccer moms to drive the kids to and fro with Starbucks in one hand and IPhone in the other. If @JP98 claims of build numbers are correct, you can't fault them from a business standpoint even if they are less "Jeepy."

Indeed, and no matter how sacrilegious a JK is, Jeep is brilliant for jumping into the "family" SUV market. Now with their Wagoneer coming out as well, they are jumping into the luxury SUV market.

A real Jeep is a vehicle capable of traveling over almost any terrain and can be maintained in the field with standard hand tools by your average soldier.

This is getting harder to do every year as vehicles get more complex, but I think that the TJ is still close to the top of the list.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk
Love it! Though, I would change solder to driver or operator or some such.

Don't get me wrong. You could give me a JK but I spent weeks if not months searching for an authentic Jeep ride. That's why I bought my TJ. I will one day own a JK but never ever ever an JKU. I draw the line at long wheelbases. Then again, I'll take a Scrambler if anybody's taking notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I just can't get used to the 4 door wrangler. The longer unlimited TJs and scramblers look great but the four door is just kinda anti Jeep in my opinion.

Last edited:
97 tj, leaf sprung with yj leafs, jeep wagon dana 44 rear with auburn limited slip, narrowed hp dana 44 front with power lok limited slip and 5.38 gears. still 2.5 and 5speed for now

20161022_160152.jpg

97 tj, leaf sprung with yj leafs, jeep wagon dana 44 rear with auburn limited slip, narrowed hp dana 44 front with power lok limited slip and 5.38 gears. still 2.5 and 5speed for now

View attachment 10732

How long did it take you to wash out the interior after your mud run? Pretty impressive mud slinging for the 4 angry squirrels.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Well, my TJ is a real jeep, my Cherokee was a real jeep, my CJ-5 was a real jeep, my Grand wagoneer was a real jeep, and I would argue that my AMC Eagle was a real jeep. My wife's Patriot is front wheel drive, but I'm okay with that.

I love my TJ, but the reality is the JK is a superior vehicle in pretty much every way (outside of repairability) and the JL should be superior to the JK. This is the pace of innovation. As long as it has the 7 slot grille, body on frame construction and solid axles it's a Jeep! And we should all be happy the JKs have sold so well as it is keeping the brand viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MikeM
I love my TJ, but the reality is the JK is a superior vehicle in pretty much every way (outside of repairability) and the JL should be superior to the JK. This is the pace of innovation. As long as it has the 7 slot grille, body on frame construction and solid axles it's a Jeep! And we should all be happy the JKs have sold so well as it is keeping the brand viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess I could agree as long as you keep them on pavement

Reactions: FTI76
I keep wondering how the new jeep pickup is going to be. More jeep, more like a Chevy 1500 or just another yuppie/soccer mom vehicle. I hope it's a combination of a jeep and a full size truck. Some off-road capability but still utilitarian to haul firewood, plywood, or whatever else you want to throw in the back.

I keep wondering how the new jeep pickup is going to be. More jeep, more like a Chevy 1500 or just another yuppie/soccer mom vehicle. I hope it's a combination of a jeep and a full size truck. Some off-road capability but still utilitarian to haul firewood, plywood, or whatever else you want to throw in the back.

It's just going to have a short bed behind the 4 door cab from what I've read. Personally, I much rather see a longer bed behind a 2 door cab. You can bet it's not going to be anything full size that could take market share away from the RAM division. Same scenario as resseructing the Ramcharger. They won't do it because it will take sales away from the grand Cherokee.

Everyone has a different option this topic , however in my opinion and 'sort of' going off the original Willys...its was a workhorse, built for the job in hand, simple and reliable and could be fixed in the middle of the field using basic tools (or no tools lol) Strong yet small enough to carry a multitude of stuff and nimble. You can see why soldiers fell in love with them....and why we on this forum do too. I think the TJ was the last real Jeep and all of the models before it, as it still follows all the rules and criteria of the original.

Reactions: UpperMI and TJ2
A real Jeep is simple, easy to fix, and focused on ability, agility, to get anywhere. If you add bluetooth and subs you are creating distractions from what a real Jeep does. I hate the idea of trying to find a cell or wifi signal while wheeling. My TJ has a few luxuries I can do without. The JK really added way too many distractions. I think the JL has some pretty cool features but it has way too many distractions too. Thumbs up for the tools, soft top, bolt storage.... Thumbs down for that flat screen, power windows, blind spot monitor.

But of course it'll sell like hot cakes.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ