What's a reasonable price on a used Warn M8000?

Darsmith

TJ Enthusiast
I've located 2 Warn M8000s not too far from home; one fully working with steel cable for (asking) $400 and another without remote and has questionable solenoids for (asking) $200. Same guy has both. Remote is around $80-90. Don't know about solenoids but a replacement box looks to be $250+. Thoughts? Advice?

OK. Went and looked at both winches. The one remote he had was a 3 wire and the nicer winch has the 5 wire connector on the solenoid box. Had to jumper some things around to test the motors. The other winch without the cable has the 3 wire connector on the solenoid box. Anyway, both winches work fine (one needs a 5 wire remote and the other needs cable or rope) and he sold me both M8000s for $375.

Next question. Has anyone ever used a high current battery disconnect under the hood to disconnect power from the winch leads when not in use? Thinking about it as a safety measure.

Reactions: matkal
What a steal, a little work and you'll break even or make a few bucks on the pair. Some people use battery disconnects but it is the exception rather than the rule. Most aren't rated to switch under load so I don't see the need for all the extra work.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I was thinking about a manual battery disconnect under the hood so someone can't use a paperclip to mess with the remote socket and run the winch if they wanted to do something bad. It would not be switched under load. Turn it on when you need to use the winch, turn if off to disable the winch when not in use. For a reasonable price you can get a 500A continuous duty manual disconnect.

Yea of all the things I worry about people fooling around with my jeep that's not even on my list

I wanted to be able to turm mine off also. Installed this 100amp resetable breaker next to the battery.
51x-lREahiL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
OK. Went and looked at both winches. The one remote he had was a 3 wire and the nicer winch has the 5 wire connector on the solenoid box. Had to jumper some things around to test the motors. The other winch without the cable has the 3 wire connector on the solenoid box. Anyway, both winches work fine (one needs a 5 wire remote and the other needs cable or rope) and he sold me both M8000s for $375.

Next question. Has anyone ever used a high current battery disconnect under the hood to disconnect power from the winch leads when not in use? Thinking about it as a safety measure.
You did well getting both, now you can have one on both ends! (not really) By the time you sell one you can put some high quality winch rope on that thing and come out ahead. I like the TRE products myself but there many good ones.

Reactions: ShredAZ
Don't most winches draw over 300A under load? I think the M8000 is close to 480A at 8k not that anybody regularly loads them like that. 100A seems really low for a winch.
Ppl
Don't most winches draw over 300A under load? I think the M8000 is close to 480A at 8k not that anybody regularly loads them like that. 100A seems really low for a winch.
Ok just just checked the circuit breaker that came with winch was 150 amp. Went out to jeep and I must have installed a 200 amp. Was cooking dinner and had 100 amp in my head looking for pic. I have pulled my friends dodge diesel dually out twice a couple weeks ago and had no problems. Now you got me thinking of going bigger. Sorry for any confusion

Reactions: pagrey
So I got the winches home and tested them. I was working away from home this week and check FB marketplace. Lo and behold someone had a Warn 5 pin remote for sale in the area I was working in and I got it for $40 (New price from Warn $107). Both winches work great. The one with the questionable solenoids had the remote power wire (white) connected to the wrong terminal. I corrected that and now have 2 working M8000s. Will use the nicer of the 2 with some synthetic line and put the 5/16 cable on the other one and sell it.