What's everyone running for aftermarket headlights?

Tried the Chinese truck lites, but caused massive radio interference. Returned them and put hella e codes with xtreme vision bulbs and couldn’t be happier.

I like the 7" LED Truck lites. I don't need the heating but a pair is still expensive at $290.00. I originaly thought they were all made in China but they are made in the USA - see the pic below.
IMG_2354a.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, they do generate heat. Not as much as a halogen, but it must be enough to melt snow off, since I've never had an issue with it.
Circling back to this, when it’s single digits up to low to mid 20°’s and dry, “fluffy” snow I’ve not had any issues. Wet, heavy “Cascade Concrete” snow at just below to just above freezing, or rain/snow mix I’ve had to stop and clear the lenses a couple times now, however I’ve had to do that with stock lights before in those conditions.
300$ a pop heated LED’s aren’t in the budget.
Rain-X has come out with a plastic friendly water beading option, so I’m trying that to see if it makes a difference. I didn’t like the idea of coating the lenses with PAM spray or WD40 that I’d seen tossed about on the interweb as a way to not have snow stick.

Rain-X 620036 Plastic Treatment - 12 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9LR2BQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Circling back to this, when it’s single digits up to low to mid 20°’s and dry, “fluffy” snow I’ve not had any issues. Wet, heavy “Cascade Concrete” snow at just below to just above freezing, or rain/snow mix I’ve had to stop and clear the lenses a couple times now, however I’ve had to do that with stock lights before in those conditions.
300$ a pop heated LED’s aren’t in the budget.
Rain-X has come out with a plastic friendly water beading option, so I’m trying that to see if it makes a difference. I didn’t like the idea of coating the lenses with PAM spray or WD40 that I’d seen tossed about on the interweb as a way to not have snow stick.
Rain-X 620036 Plastic Treatment - 12 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9LR2BQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Great idea!

My thought is that heated headlights or not, if the snow is coming down hard enough, you're probably going to have to stop every so often and brush the headlights off regardless.

This looks like it might work very nice!

Great idea!

My thought is that heated headlights or not, if the snow is coming down hard enough, you're probably going to have to stop every so often and brush the headlights off regardless.

This looks like it might work very nice!
I keep thinking I'm going to have this problem at some point. Going on like day 8 with the snow & other than brushing off snow at the beginning when I am brushing it off the windshield, windows, hood, etc., I haven't seen a problem with this yet.

Reactions: Chris
I keep thinking I'm going to have this problem at some point. Going on like day 8 with the snow & other than brushing off snow at the beginning when I am brushing it off the windshield, windows, hood, etc., I haven't seen a problem with this yet.

Very cool, I didn't know this product existed, but I have had very good luck with other Rain-X products, so it doesn't surprise me this one would work well.

I did used Hella Ecode H4’s with a Hella relay harness, the bulbs are 60/55. The difference from factory is significant. I think the bulbs are GE +130’s.

Reactions: E1320
I’m just running an upgraded harness and it is only 25 dollars. Uses the old headlight circuit as a trigger for relays connected directly to the battery. I would get it before you add aftermarket headlights because even if it doesn’t do what you want, the headlights you end up buying as a replacement will get full voltage and work that much better.

https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p6/H4_Upgraded_Headlight_Harness.html
Just ordered 2 kits. One for the TJ and the daily driver XJ...

KC HiLites H4 55/60 watt. $111 shipped to the house. Much, much, much brighter than stock and good patterns on both high and low beam. Very happy with them.

I have these as well. If this beats stock I can't imagine how crap the OEM lights were.

Reactions: E1320
I'm running Cibie 82440 E codes H4s $110 with Hikari H4 LEDs $40. I get a nice sharp cutoff on low beam without blinding anyone and all the lumens on high beam, it's quite impressive.

20191217_195533.jpg

Been running the (7") Truck- Lites LED's for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier. Non-heated and with enough lumen's to be perfect for my needs with good beam cut-off. For really dark, lonely roads I flip on my pair of KC Hi-Lites (6") LED DayLighter's mounted low to pierce the gloom in conjunction with my Truck-Lites.

I have Grote LED lights. ran JK lights with upgraded bulbs for a while but they weren't cutting it. Grotes ran about $400 Canadian.

I have some old-schole grote fogs I'd like to install one day. The industrial ones with a what is basically a really thick rubber housing I got from my dads stuff after he passed. Not LED, but good stuff.

I run NAPA halogen sealed beams, $20 each.. No snow build up and they work with holes from rocks and half filled with water. Plus they are sold everywhere.

I hate the brilliant white light from LEDs. Stupidest thing ever to run lights which blind on coming traffic. Darwinism at its finest. I'll bet eventually they will start enforcing existing legislation and ban the ones which are stupidly bright.

It'll just take few high profile accidents where the guy crossing the centreline claims he was blinded by the oncoming traffic lights and the lawyers take it all the way. Think a zealot like Ralph Nader and the opportunity for $$$$$$ and publicity.

Last edited:
I run NAPA halogen sealed beams, $20 each.. No snow build up and they work with holes from rocks and half filled with water. Plus they are sold everywhere.

I hate the brilliant white light from LEDs. Stupidest thing ever to run lights which blind on coming traffic. Darwinism at its finest. I'll bet eventually they will start enforcing existing legislation and ban the ones which are stupidly bright.

It'll just take few high profile accidents where the guy crossing the centreline claims he was blinded by the oncoming traffic lights and the lawyers take it all the way. Think a zealot like Ralph Nader and the opportunity for $$$$$$ and publicity.
Sealed beam headlights were invented in 1939, in 1983 Halogen headlights were legalized in US and Canada this allowed you to run sealed beam halogens or two piece halogens with superior designed reflectors and replaceable bulbs. The newer designed two piece halogen is convenient since the bulb can be replaced without having to remove the entire sealed beam housing which require removing the trim rings to replace which are usually rusted on and than are required to be realigned. The bulbs on the two piece halogens are cheaper than sealed beams and can usually be replaced in seconds without removing the housing or losing the adjustment. A spare bulb or two can also fit in the glove box unlike a sealed beam light. You don't have to switch to LEDs to get superior vision, although the option to put LED replacementbulbs does exist. Most modern cars come with LED lights now or HIDs which almost always seam to blind the shit out of me on dark back roads. Hella, Cibie and several other OEM manufacturers make 7" replacement light housings for your Jeep that will make it much safer to drive at night without blinding oncoming drivers.

Reactions: Willys LJ

I agree that MOST LED replacements are crazy bright and will blind oncoming traffic, but the Proper DOT approved light ( most for Jeeps sold cheap on Amazon are not and marketed as offroad only) has a decent cut off that wont shine directly in the eyes of fellow drivers. I ran sealed beam for a while, then JK housings with upgraded bulbs and finally switched to LED after years of frustration. The Led stuff built correctly is also just as strong if not stronger than the old sealed beam lights too. I ave had rocks bounce off of mine and deflect because of the curved lens where the flat lens on sealed be would have cracked ( which I have done) as well as having water inside the housing somehow and have not had any issues with use. have had mine in going on 5 years now with no issues. Also most people seem to worry about snow build up which I have had, but the output that shines though the snow still lights the road, and it is never a huge amount of snow becuase the engine heat melts most of it.

I have the heated Quadratec LED headlights, so far I'm really liking them. Low beams aren't blinding other drivers or causing that blinding effect during snow or fog. Finally got t a snow storm out in my area so I got to see the heated element in action. So far they're doing the job well
20200118_091352.jpg