What's everyone's gas mileage?

BayTJ

So Mfg States 15-18 MPG on a I6. Tank Capacity is 19 gallons. That's an average of 304 miles on a full tank. The most I am getting on a full tank is just over 200 miles. What is everyone else getting?

With 33" tires, a 4" lift, and the whole family, we can get around 20-22 mpg on the highway on long trips, but that's rare, and it's with cruise control the entire time.

Otherwise we get about 18 mpg highway at most, and about 14-15 city.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I get 13.5-14mpg on 31’s, 3.73 gears, 6-speed manual.

Reactions: JLLJ and ac_
I will add that I have never once gotten 300 miles on a full tank. Usually it’s around 220 where I need to fill up.

So Mfg States 15-18 MPG on a I6. Tank Capacity is 19 gallons. That's an average of 304 miles on a full tank. The most I am getting on a full tank is just over 200 miles. What is everyone else getting?
1998 TJ 4.0i6 5MT with 4.88 gearing & 33" tires - 13.1mpg last road trip (I have a significantly cracked header, I'm sure I can do better). I nearly always fill up after using 16 gallons so 200 miles on the odometer basically.

I get good mileage, usually 18 to 20 if used as dd to wk (mostly highway). Problem is I don't really know how far I can go past the low fuel light.

Usually hits low fuel light around 185 mi, but if I fill up right at the light I'm only able to get 9.8 maybe 10 gal at most.

98 Wrangler Sport 4.0 / 5 speed manual, stock 3.07 gears, n slightly taller tires on 17" rims (30.5 in per metric conv link found here in this great community). So actually getting better mileage as I'm going further than what odo shows.

My wife's rig has the heart of a TJ wrapped in an XJ's body. :rolleyes: That is to say, she has the 4.0 with an automatic. When she drives it, it gets around 14 to 16 mpg. On a road trip, just to prove a point, I squeezed 24.3 mpg out of it. After a full tune-up, she jumped to about 18 mpg when driving it. Again, it's an XJ, so you can take it for what it's worth (because...you know...they're so much more aerodynamic!) ;)

Last edited:
Ok, so its safe to say that majority of owners on here thus far are not too close to 18 MPG except for a few. Maybe I need a major tune up although all the fluids were just changed. Or it could be that the gas gauge is really misleading and draws down quicker than it really should.

Reactions: John E Lane
You have to do the math. Gas mileage equation is:

Driven Miles÷gallons used=miles per gallon

You can't tell anything from "I get 200 miles per tank. " unless you run it empty.

I get good mileage, usually 18 to 20 if used as dd to wk (mostly highway). Problem is I don't really know how far I can go past the low fuel light.

Usually hits low fuel light around 185 mi, but if I fill up right at the light I'm only able to get 9.8 maybe 10 gal at most.

98 Wrangler Sport 4.0 / 5 speed manual, stock 3.07 gears, n slightly taller tires on 17" rims (30.5 in per metric conv link found here in this great community). So actually getting better mileage as I'm going further than what odo shows.
If you consistently get 18-20 mpg in a daily driven 4.0L TJ, it must be downhill both to work AND back each way, and you are in the top .5% of TJ owners, with either a 6 OR 4 cyl. engine...

Reactions: StG58 and Bird
I've gotten anywhere from as low as 8 to as high as 13-15, depending how I drive it.
Granted, I'm sitting on 32's with the dreaded 3.07 gearing, saving for re-gear some day.
I have one of those bluetooth OBD2 things and the Torque app. It's kind of fun to watch the Instant MPG gauge vs. the Average Gauge.
Going down a hill with little to no acceleration, it shows I'm getting 37 mpg! (LOL), of course, as soon as I touch the pedal at the bottom of the hill it drops to 5 mpg!

Reactions: StG58