What's everyone's thoughts on plugging the frame rail holes?

There are multiple threads about where to drill drain holes. I dont know how to link to stuff. Too old I guess. Bu basically it is right where the frame bends down to the flat mid section. Just behind the front Lower control arm frame mount and just in front of the rear lower control arm frame mount. Something like a 1/2 to 1 1/2 hole in all four points.

There are multiple threads about where to drill drain holes. I dont know how to link to stuff. Too old I guess. Bu basically it is right where the frame bends down to the flat mid section. Just behind the front Lower control arm frame mount and just in front of the rear lower control arm frame mount. Something like a 1/2 to 1 1/2 hole in all four points.

I don't know exactly where I got the idea of drilling the frame through the holes on the lower control arm mounts, it was probably somewhere here, but that's what I did because I figured those lower mounts would offset any loss of strength from the holes.

I think the holes are about 7/16" IIRC and anything bigger would have drilled out some of the mount. Whatever size I drilled, they aren't big enough to keep from getting plugged up with crap and I don't think they would have weakened the frame enough to be worried about it. At this point I've been wishing I drilled larger holes just behind the front mounts and in front of the rear mounts.

After seeing you mention 1/2 to 1-1/2 holes I might try some new 5/8" holes. I figure at least if those get plugged up I can easily poke something into them because they are actually visible. Unplugging any drain hole is required when hosing out the frame but unplugging the hidden drain holes is a non stop PIA every time. I do think 1-1/2" might be a little too big but that just may be me thinking that.