What's going on with my lugnuts?

Anyone know the best place to buy a 10 pack of wheel studs? I see a lot of individual ones online/at stores but those would add up. Most of the packs I see are for extended length, like .5" longer, but I would think that would cause the lugnut to bottom out early if I wasn't adding spacers or anything.

Would these be right? They are 1/2-20, 1-15/32" length. Not sure what the factory spec is

Last edited:
Anyone know the best place to buy a 10 pack of wheel studs? I see a lot of individual ones online/at stores but those would add up. Most of the packs I see are for extended length, like .5" longer, but I would think that would cause the lugnut to bottom out early if I wasn't adding spacers or anything.

Would these be right? They are 1/2-20, 1-15/32" length. Not sure what the factory spec is

Here in the west I can walk into my local les schwab tire store and buy standard chrome 1/2" lug nuts for 1$ each

Bottom of the page of this post...

1663270591089.png

Reactions: Cheetokps
if your lug studs have bad threads i would think your lugs would too. seeing that they’ve been threaded on bad studs.
Good point, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to try reusing them because they're special deep lugnuts for my wheels, but if they dont thread on easily I'll replace them

Reactions: txbemis69
Good point, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to try reusing them because they're special deep lugnuts for my wheels, but if they dont thread on easily I'll replace them

If the nuts threads have been stretched also they will have no problem going on. In fact they will be loose too and practically fall on.

My lug nuts loosened up again the other day so I was able to spin them by hand. Still can’t figure it out, I had replaced all the lugs. I brought it into a shop and they had no clue either, they confirmed that the lug nuts were correct for the wheel (I’d hope so, they came with it).

Someone suggested that maybe the holes in the axle shaft that the studs get pressed into had become too wide and now they aren’t pressing into tight enough, not sure if that’s possible.

I was bouncing around the idea of just putting loctite on the lug nuts to keep them from loosening up but not sure if that’s a good idea. I might try replacing the studs and lugnuts again but it’s a pain and I don’t know if it will help

My lug nuts loosened up again the other day so I was able to spin them by hand. Still can’t figure it out, I had replaced all the lugs. I brought it into a shop and they had no clue either, they confirmed that the lug nuts were correct for the wheel (I’d hope so, they came with it).

Someone suggested that maybe the holes in the axle shaft that the studs get pressed into had become too wide and now they aren’t pressing into tight enough, not sure if that’s possible.

I was bouncing around the idea of just putting loctite on the lug nuts to keep them from loosening up but not sure if that’s a good idea. I might try replacing the studs and lugnuts again but it’s a pain and I don’t know if it will help
Do you have a picture of the wheel, the studs, and the wheel off the vehicle. Post pictures maybe we can see a problem. Properly torqued lugs do not need loctite and do not come loose.

Reactions: TJ Jim
Can't see how blue loctite would hurt anything and would probably work ok.
Because what is happening can be an actual life and death hazard to the occupants of the Jeep and whoever else happens to be on the road. OP needs to get to the root of the problem and bandaids arent the answer.

Reactions: TJ Jim and NskLJ
I have a Tekton (I think) 1/2” torque wrench. I do the star pattern and tighten them up with a ratchet before torquing too

I use a good amount of force tightening them too so I know it definitely can’t be far off from 120ftlbs

You should check your torque wrench against another. You might be way too tight.

Or too loose.
120 Nm = 88 ft/lbs

One question when did this issues start? Was it when you installed the new wheels?

Reactions: John Cooper
It happened with my stock wheels and then again with my new wheels/lug nuts. And happened again even after I replaced the wheel studs

I used a dab of silicone sealer on the lug nuts when I ran wheel spacers, so I wouldn't have to remove the wheels to check the spacer lugs. They won't loosen until you want them to.