What's going on with my lugnuts?

Different wheels. Different lug nuts. Different studs. The only common denominator is you. Not trying to be a butt, just trying to make some sense of this. Would you explain your tightening sequence and your torque methods.

Different wheels. Different lug nuts. Different studs. The only common denominator is you. Not trying to be a butt, just trying to make some sense of this. Would you explain your tightening sequence and your torque methods.
Fair enough. I do the star pattern to get them snug then lower the jack and do the star pattern again to torque to 100 ftlbs. The I re-torque it after a few hundred miles

I have a 3/8” torque wrench as well, maybe I’ll try doing it with that (if it even goes to 100 ftlbs). Although my other one feels at least relatively close to 100lbs, so I can’t imagine it’s off much

Fair enough. I do the star pattern to get them snug then lower the jack and do the star pattern again to torque to 100 ftlbs. The I re-torque it after a few hundred miles

I have a 3/8” torque wrench as well, maybe I’ll try doing it with that (if it even goes to 100 ftlbs). Although my other one feels at least relatively close to 100lbs, so I can’t imagine it’s off much

Verify you are using the foot pound scale on the torque wrench not the NM scale. 100 NM is only 73 foot lbs. do you have access to another torque wrench to verify yours is close?

Verify you are using the foot pound scale on the torque wrench not the NM scale. 100 NM is only 73 foot lbs. do you have access to another torque wrench to verify yours is close?

That was my next suggestion! 3/8” won’t go that high. You need to use the 1/2” torque wrench. And just like @NskLJ suggested,make sure it is ft pounds not nm or inch pounds.

Livng in the salty snowy environment you in make sure where the disc/drum surface is flat and rust free. Use a wire wheel or brush to get to a smooth clean surface. I know you have had two style wheels on, but are they hub centric or lug centric and if hub centric are they seating properly?
Does your wife have a large life insurance policy on you?

Livng in the salty snowy environment you in make sure where the disc/drum surface is flat and rust free. Use a wire wheel or brush to get to a smooth clean surface. I know you have had two style wheels on, but are they hub centric or lug centric and if hub centric are they seating properly?
Does your wife have a large life insurance policy on you?
It’s definitely not someone fucking with me, it’s happened in different locations hours apart. I’ll try cleaning the surface, I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t that clean

I’m not sure about the new wheels, I have these

3539BE1E-0B17-47FC-935D-413016BDD665.jpeg

It’s definitely a bit dirty in there so maybe you’re right about them not seating properly. Although the first time this happened it was the front wheel not rear

View attachment 389586
It’s definitely a bit dirty in there so maybe you’re right about them not seating properly. Although the first time this happened it was the front wheel not rear

Take a picture of the studs from the top and focus on one of them.
One more thing put the wheel on and start the lug nut and count how many turns until it seats the rim against the axle.

Take a picture of the studs from the top and focus on one of them.
One more thing put the wheel on and start the lug nut and count how many turns until it seats the rim against the axle.
Once I get my car back I’ll do that and post. Some looked a little beat up but I had been driving with the lugnuts loose

Probably lug centric, so you e got to snug them up just a bit each time to get them centered correctly. If you watch as you tighten them up you’ll see the cone shape of the lug nut center the cone shape of the wheel, so you’ve gotta bring each lug nut in until they center each cone equally if that makes sense. Finger tighten each nut while wiggling the wheel. Then tighten each lug nut in steps a bit at a time in the star pattern.

Reactions: Head Lice
It happened with my stock wheels and then again with my new wheels/lug nuts. And happened again even after I replaced the wheel studs

You’ve probably looked up similar pages, but there’s a couple of things listed that aren’t in the portion of the thread I read.

https://torque-tight.com/pages/why-do-nuts-come-loose

I suggest trying a different 1/2” torque wrench. Also I’d check the mating surface to ensure good clamping force.

Were things fine from September till now?

Reactions: Head Lice

man if this is still going on after 4 months there's only 1 explanation ! ALIENS are coming down and fiddling with your nuts ! that or someone has put a curse on your JEEP in which case you really need to get rid of it or check your nuts every time you drive it !

• Haha
Reactions: Cheetokps
You’ve probably looked up similar pages, but there’s a couple of things listed that aren’t in the portion of the thread I read.

https://torque-tight.com/pages/why-do-nuts-come-loose

I suggest trying a different 1/2” torque wrench. Also I’d check the mating surface to ensure good clamping force.

Were things fine from September till now?
Nope, they were very loose again a few days ago even after I replaced the studs

Nope, they were very loose again a few days ago even after I replaced the studs

after all this you have 2 options put jb weld on the threads and if that doesn't stop it weld them. I think your fuckin with us, there's no way it's still happening. once ok, twice and after changing nuts and studs, could happen ! 3rd time very remote possibility.... 4 times or more NO FUCKING WAY !