What's in your grease gun?

Elliott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for an honest review of what Brand / Product you have in your grease gun. Do you like it, does the oil bleed out a lot, is it a good choice for the TJ... Looking for recommendations for driveshaft u-joints etc.

I currently have two grease guns in use...
#1 Red Line CV-2 great for the JJ's and steering components. In the summer months you can see oil separating and dripping from the grease gun (plunger pulled back). Grease is Red in color.

#2 up until recently I used Autol Top 2000 which I cannot seem to get in the US anymore. This stuff is very tacky and resists water / salt water washout. I also like the bright Green color that helps to easily distinguish between the two guns and see when fresh grease exits the joints. No visible oil separation with this grease.

Thanks!

I've been using Amsoil Water Resistant grease for everything that I'm not putting moly into. Hub kit, hinges, driveshafts, etc.

Ever since I started using one, whether on aircooled VWs or alike, or Jeeps, I have used that red Mobil 1 synthetic.

I bought a case of Lucas marine grease when I was in FL for the boat & trailer... For some reason I thought I needed a whole case. I still have a lot of it, so that's what I'm using 7 years later.

• Haha
Reactions: SPECWAR and JMT
A question about grease guns, what’s everyone using? I have a cheap that leaks Mobil 1 grease all over. Is their a tier 1 grease gun?

A question about grease guns, what’s everyone using? I have a cheap that leaks Mobil 1 grease all over. Is their a tier 1 grease gun?

I still have my Snap-On grease gun from 20 years ago... Works great but I'd bet a regular gun from HF would work just fine. I'm pretty sure I bought a lot of overpriced Snap-On and Mac crap in my early 20s. Damn tool truck guys make it REAL easy to get that weekly revolving account up and running.

Still doesn't leak though, so I guess there's that.

Reactions: alittleoff
I've been using a Lincoln for many years. When it works it's great. The problem is that a tube of grease lasts me so long that I forget how to load and bleed it properly.

Recently I added a Lock n Lube to my gun. So far, I like it a lot. Makes the job much cleaner.

Reactions: alittleoff
Looking for an honest review of what Brand / Product you have in your grease gun. Do you like it, does the oil bleed out a lot, is it a good choice for the TJ... Looking for recommendations for driveshaft u-joints etc.
I use the reddish stuff on everything. It's lubey and greasy and waterresisty and always works. No failures, 5 of 5 and would buy again. Before that I was using the blue green stuff on everything. It was also lubey and greasy and waterresisty and always worked. No failures, 5 of 5 and would buy again. At one time I used the really dark black stuff. It was also lubey and greasy and waterresisty and always worked. No failures but it was hard to get off of skin and clothing. 4 of 5 because of the mess and would prefer to not buy again.

Point is ... don't over complicate simple stuff.

Reactions: BoldlyGoing and JMT
Used Lucas red n tacky for a long time but got tired of it separating and leaking during the hot months, great product other wise.
Switched to Lucas X-tra HD and have been extremely pleased so far.
As far as grease guns Lucas and Lincoln guns I have had the best luck with.

For grease guns I run:
- Lincoln 1134 with a Lock n Lube connector - good gun & no leaks & priced right (great go to)
- Lock n Lube LNL252 - great gun / but still over priced - no leaks
- Milwaukee 2646 18V Battery Powered Grease Gun - Way Over Priced (I was given mine) - But the rats a$$... I love it for the heavy equip I have to grease in the field... they take a lot of grease... no pumping
- Harbor Freight Holt Air Grease Gun - this is unit is better than I thought... I have it in the garage... not cheap but works well

For Grease... I used to be (am still partially) an Amsoil guy... Sorry but anyone that says grease is grease has never had it fail under real situations.... yes for the average usage you can put anything in there that lubricates... but I don't use conventional oil either.... So I have after 28 years of using Amsoil with zero failures I switched to Schaeffer's products for the past 3 years (except for using up my Amsoil products).... I go though a lot of grease & have reduced my consumption (with no signs of wear) by a quarter (of Amsoil)... If you run heavy equip you know grease heats up & migrates out which allow moisture in (requiring more grease).... this does not happen with the Schaeffer product... I don't rep the stuff... I don't sell the stuff... I buy it because it is superior to everything we have tried....

In my area multiple municipalities have switch to their oil & grease product after testing & doing oil analysis on police & DOT vehicles.... If you can get it.... try it... & it is priced right...

Reactions: Apparition
Project farm just did a video:

I use red n tacky.

As for grease guns. I bought the cheapest one at oriellys cause I was in a pinch. Which led to it not releasing the zerk. Which led to the zerk shearing off. Which led to me having to go buy a pack of new zerks and pulling out the stuck threads. Don't buy the cheapest.

I have used Green Grease for over a decade. Doesn't leak in the summer months. Really good grease but higher price than other greases. As for my gun, I use a no brand, heavy duty one that will last my whole life. It hasn't failed and doesn't leak.

I use red n tacky.

As for grease guns. I bought the cheapest one at oriellys cause I was in a pinch. Which led to it not releasing the zerk. Which led to the zerk shearing off. Which led to me having to go buy a pack of new zerks and pulling out the stuck threads. Don't buy the cheapest.

I love that channel

I just bought a case of Texas 880. Works for airplanes and Jeeps, one of the best greases I ever worked with. Does not separate I my cheapo harbor freight pneumatic grease gun.

Used Lucas Red and Tacky for a long time. Started switching to Redline CV2 last fall for my winch and suspension components. Drivelines are next after breakup and my shop warms up.

I use red n tacky.

Damn, those are some pretty clear results. Looks like I'm sticking with Lucas. Also, that's an awesome channel. Thanks for sharing!