What's in your grease gun?

The parts dept here gives the Techs Lucas Red N tacky. So that's what I use in the old snap-on grease gun....:cool:

My garage is regularly over 100F and the red grease bleeds like crazy. I had a tube of it once, did not like it one bit. Not just the gun, my joints would bleed in the summer. Generic molly seems to bleed less in the heat so I use that. It probably took two years to completely flush every fitting of the red stuff. I don't know if it's any good but after awhile you get tired of that red oil on everything in the heat.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I still have my Snap-On grease gun from 20 years ago... Works great but I'd bet a regular gun from HF would work just fine. I'm pretty sure I bought a lot of overpriced Snap-On and Mac crap in my early 20s. Damn tool truck guys make it REAL easy to get that weekly revolving account up and running.

Still doesn't leak though, so I guess there's that.

I have one from HF - leaks from both ends....... :(

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
Lucas Red & Tacky. I have a super old grease gun that some dude threw in for free at a yard sale when I bought a few other tools. Looks like it's older than I am, but unlike me it doesn't leak.

I get using the red n tacky for things that don't move fast (steering, ball joints) but what is everyone putting in their drive shaft u-joints?

I just recently bought a LockNLube LNL153 and like it a lot. Their green pistol grip style. It just feels hefty and better quality than the cheap one I’ve had for several years that I bought at one of the parts stores.

Trying to decide between the Red N Tacky or the X-tra Heavy Duty Lucas greases now.

I just recently bought a LockNLube LNL153 and like it a lot. Their green pistol grip style. It just feels hefty and better quality than the cheap one I’ve had for several years that I bought at one of the parts stores.

Trying to decide between the Red N Tacky or the X-tra Heavy Duty Lucas greases now.
If you go with the green just know that it is polyurea base thickener so you want to start clean if you can.

If you go with the green just know that it is polyurea base thickener so you want to start clean if you can.
What does that mean? It's not compatible with other greases? What would be the consequences if used where the existing grease is unknown?

What does that mean? It's not compatible with other greases? What would be the consequences if used where the existing grease is unknown?
The short answer is that grease is a base oil, additives and a thickener. When you hear that a grease is Lithium, Polyurea, Calcium Sulfonate etc that is referring to the thickener. In the days of old when there was Sodium thickened grease if you mixed it would react negatively with lithium based grease so you always made sure not to mix. Most greases today do not have serious negative consequences when mixed but they can cause a reduction of the greases performance characteristics so it is best to start with clean parts when you change to a different grease type. I have found this is especially true with Polyurea and Aluminum complex greases.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I'll have to look at the tube in my old grease gun and see what is in it. I know it's red and if I remember correctly, it's some form of Valvoline grease. I could be wrong though and thinking of a time further back.

Thanks for the info.

I've been using Green Grease brand since it was recommended over a decade ago on another forum for my '91 suburban. Does anyone have any opinions on it in here?

I've been using Green Grease brand since it was recommended over a decade ago on another forum for my '91 suburban. Does anyone have any opinions on it in here?
Same here. I've been using it for over a decade as well. It has been great! I asked Project Farm YouTube channel to do a test comparison and he liked the idea. I hope he has it on his channel in the near future. He didn't have it when he compared greases in one of his videos.

Reactions: minimull
I use Lucas Red n Tacky. Unfortunately it does create a hell of a mess in the warmer months. I’d like to switch it out, but read somewhere about the negatives of mixing different colors due to additives. That means I’m either stuck with the stuff till I can confirm otherwise or switch out my maintenance parts. End of day, it’s been affective and does what it’s supposed to do so can’t really complain.

Now you guys have me paranoid. I have a new steering rig ready to go, and the tie rod ends have a small amount of something in them already. A light blue color I think. They're Moog parts. And I have Lucas red & tacky in my grease gun.

Now you guys have me paranoid. I have a new steering rig ready to go, and the tie rod ends have a small amount of something in them already. A light blue color I think. They're Moog parts. And I have Lucas red & tacky in my grease gun.
Green Grease is actually bluish in color. I wonder if thats what you have.

I run red n tacky in every grease fitting. never had an issue with whatever used to be in them.