What's in your trail toolbox?

CodaMan

California Escapee
Supporting Member
What does everyone carry in their trail toolbox? Not recovery gear, but tools, spare parts, liquids and so on. Keeping the weight down is always an issue along with space, but what do you think is a must to carry?

Reactions: Rubirob
I remember seeing that before, but it was difficult to search because the title wasn't direct enough ... at least for my search skills :)

Reactions: Serbonze
Other than a fair set of metric and SAE tools... a Safety Seal tire plug kit, spare tire valves, tire patches, u-joints, a spare rear driveshaft, spare radiator hoses, spare serpentine belt, a box of assorted hardware with Grade 5 and Grade 8 control arm bolts, a few u-joints, a BFH (very important), breaker bar, spare yoke (had one break once), Spicer u-joint strap & bolt kit, a spare Warn hub for my front axle, a few cotter-keys in case I have to remove my front tie-rod, a couple rubber tire stems, a small electrical repair kit with spare fuses, a few small coils of wire, crimp connectors, and a multi-meter. ATF+4 and 85W-140 gear lube, RTV, a paper gasket I can cut any shape out of for things like the thermostat housing, a hose splice and spare transmission hose for my transmission cooler. And a small stick-welding kit I put together that uses a couple batteries connected in series. I don't always carry that but on some trails I do. Oh and a small tarp to lay on when working under my or someone else's Jeep. The heavier things like the spare driveshaft, welding kit, etc. I now leave in my trailer at camp but they're at least with me.

Reactions: Serbonze
Other than a fair set of metric and SAE tools... a Safety Seal tire plug kit, spare tire valves, tire patches, u-joints, a spare rear driveshaft, spare radiator hoses, spare serpentine belt, a box of assorted hardware with Grade 5 and Grade 8 control arm bolts, a few u-joints, a BFH (very important), breaker bar, spare yoke (had one break once), Spicer u-joint strap & bolt kit, a spare Warn hub for my front axle, a few cotter-keys in case I have to remove my front tie-rod, a couple rubber tire stems, a small electrical repair kit with spare fuses, a few small coils of wire, crimp connectors, and a multi-meter. ATF+4 and 85W-140 gear lube, RTV, a paper gasket I can cut any shape out of for things like the thermostat housing, a hose splice and spare transmission hose for my transmission cooler. And a small stick-welding kit I put together that uses a couple batteries connected in series. I don't always carry that but on some trails I do. Oh and a small tarp to lay on when working under my or someone else's Jeep. The heavier things like the spare driveshaft, welding kit, etc. I now leave in my trailer at camp but they're at least with me.

Ha! What do think Jerry, should the OP be sorry he asked? [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4] You carry almost enough to build another Jeep. While your choices come from many years of experience, I think that was probably more than he/she expected....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! What do think Jerry, should the OP be sorry he asked? [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4] You carry almost enough to build another Jeep. While your choices come from many years of experience, I think that was probably more than he/she expected....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of those items are small and those can be what will get you on the trail. Tire plugs, tire stem valves, broken control arm bolts, radiator hose, serpentine belt, etc. And if you ever get a stuck thermostat causing the engine to overheat on the trail, you'd need a new paper gasket since the old gasket will be shredded.

Nice list with some items I didn't really think of. And BTW, I am never sorry when I ask a question. These type of responses is exactly what I was looking for.

One more thing ;)

95F74601-C14E-4FE0-9695-6496E402AC11.jpeg

I never hit a trail alone. There's usually at least 3 rigs venturing in the woods when I roll, so we usually distribute the tools and weight so we're not carrying 3 of the same BFH...etc One of us ALWAYS has at least one of what Jerry listed (need to add gasket material and valve stems....hadn't thought of those) either IN the Jeep, or in the tow rigs at the trail head if we're at a park that you can access somewhat easily (easier on the east coast since we're usually just on the same mountain as the parking lot...not like out west where you're 20+ miles from your tow rig at times)

In addition we carry onboard air, moving blanket (laying on your back on the rocks replacing a U-joint gets painful once you crest 40) and I'm never without my snap-on impact (couldn't afford it, but it's priceless on the trail and have never regretted that purchase)
Shovel (I carry a CROVEL)
Machete (Again, on the east coast you kinda need this due to limbs and close quarters)
Axe
Chainsaw (our older members carry small 2 stroke...I've been looking at maybe a battery powered one since they're getting so much better tech with batteries now)

Side note:

I've never searched battery chainsaws online. Just looked at a few in person on a buddies Snap-on truck. Yet I type it here, and then check FB for a sec while some software loads, and first thing that pops up in my feed (big brother is watching :cool:):

big brother.JPG

Thanks for providing this list again Jerry. It made me go back and think about some common breakage items that I should have with me. Do these look correct?

Spicer u-joint strap & bolt kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CKR6HS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Paper Gasket Material
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CNKUGO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Spare Control Arm Bolts
Do you carry one of each size with the appropriate flange nut?