What's my gear ratio good for?

Jeph

I just got a 2013 Wrangler Sport with an automatic trans and the 3.6L engine.
My springs measure 12 inches, so I believe the vehicle has not been lifted. It is running on 32in tires (maybe 33s).
I want to put on 37 tires (mostly off road) and switch to the air spring suspension adding a 3 to 4 inch lift.
Is that enough lift for those tires?
Do the air spring kits come with pinions and all required parts to account for the new lift?
I’ve crawled under and found a tag stating a 2.73 ratio. What is that good for? I’ve only seen 3.xx to 5.xx ever mentioned.
I will be climbing rocks and trees on a significant dirt incline (20-30 degrees?).
What tire size and re-gearing should I be considering? B01A1847-92F4-4EE2-A11F-405A3FD13348.jpeg

I just got a 2013 Wrangler Sport with an automatic trans and the 3.6L engine.
My springs measure 12 inches, so I believe the vehicle has not been lifted. It is running on 32in tires (maybe 33s).
I want to put on 37 tires (mostly off road) and switch to the air spring suspension adding a 3 to 4 inch lift.
Is that enough lift for those tires?
Do the air spring kits come with pinions and all required parts to account for the new lift?
I’ve crawled under and found a tag stating a 2.73 ratio. What is that good for? I’ve only seen 3.xx to 5.xx ever mentioned.
I will be climbing rocks and trees on a significant dirt incline (20-30 degrees?).
What tire size and re-gearing should I be considering?View attachment 110554
The spring measurements you'll find here are for TJ's, so they probably won't translate to a JK like you have. A JK forum would probably be able to answer your questions better than most here.

The 2.72 will be your transfer case ratio for 4 low. You'll need to check the diffs to see if there's a tag on either one of them to tell you what the ratio is for them.

Last edited:
The spring measurements you'll find here are for TJ's, so they probably won't translate to a JK like you have. A JK forum would probably be able to answer your questions better than most here.

The 2.72 will be your transfer case ration for 4 low. You'll need to check the diffs to see if there's a tag on either one of them to tell you what the ratio is for them.

Thanks. I thought I was in the JK forum.
I appreciate the heads up and direction.