What's on your winter upgrade / TODO list?

My winter to do list turned into a transmission overhaul and new torque converter
Torque converter shudder got so bad that it was causing the jeep to skitter all over the place on icy roads

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MikeE024
I ended up with the sound system upgrade and I may have got a bit amped up! It was fun learning how to match system components, how to tune the new amp I added and then the install went pretty easy.
Replaced the front dash and sound bar speakers with Polk 5.25" coaxial, added the sound pods to the front and packed the sound bar cavity with poly fill, ran all new heavy gauge speaker wire to all four corners.
The woofer never worked after the PO installed an aftermarket head unit and it was trash anyway so I dropped in a Kicker compact 8" sub in the console and turned the console into a sub enclosure using some MDF and packed it with poly fill. Didn't lose any storage in the console upper tray either, it just fit,
Then installed a Soundstream amp under the steering column by fabing up a little bracket where it rides horizontally behind the lower steering column panel where I can access for any additional tuning needed. Then swapped the head unit with a nice little JVC with a Sirus adapter.
I did good, this little fucker really bumps now! About all you want at 25% volume and it didn't crack during high volume testing. Never thought I would be doing a stereo upgrade and kinda scoffed at those that that was their first up grade, but the TJ is a capable 4 wheeler now and I wanted to do something to it this winter.

Got any pics or write up on what all you installed. Looking to do an upgrade from the stock radio in my 99

I added spacers as well for the sub clearence and mines a 5 channel amp so I'm feeding 100 watts to each corner and 400 watts to the sub with plenty to spare. Pretty fun cranking it up at the Jeep gathering and watching everyone migrate over to see what was up!

Same. :)

Here's what I went with @Chilidawg

I wonder how similar it might be to your setup @MutantNinjaTJ

I mated these dash pods with these Polk marine speakers. They are only $59 now (same on Amazon) and sound great. I went from hearing next to nothing out of the dash speakers to enjoying them more than I do the tower speakers.

Note: I'm running the Polk 6.5" version in the sport bar enclosures because the PO previously installed 6.5" speakers.

I went with a Soundstream five-channel amp for powering the corners and this Kicker subwoofer in the stock location.

I'm super happy with the results and thrilled it didn't cost a ton of money to make me happy (I'm pretty picky when it comes to sound it's either good or not good).

Amplifier and Mount

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.08.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.09.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.09.29 PM.png

Subwoofer Enclosure

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.08.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.09.12 PM.png

(The Dynamat made it easy to keep the nylon spacers in place)

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.25.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.27.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.26.03 PM.png

My winter to do list turned into a transmission overhaul and new torque converter
Torque converter shudder got so bad that it was causing the jeep to skitter all over the place on icy roads

Sorry dude, that sucks.

I finally found where my antifreeze smell was coming from, which dictates a water pump / thermostat replacement. Might as well fix the noise heater blower at the same time.

Got the new-to-me Rockmen ACAs apart and mostly cleaned up. Should be finishing that up this weekend.

ACA install
Savy GTS install
OBA install if I am lucky
New battery connectors and Anderson quick disconnectors for the winch/jumper cables.
After that it depends on what Santa brings.

back on topic..

between now and christmas:

- swap out rear springs so i can hook @voodooridr up with some new stilts
- remove sye and install ssye
- paint a bunch of steel parts
- finish center bezel modifications for ipad mini mount now that i have no radio head unit
- wheel the piss out of it

after the new year:

- save up some dollars so i can finally drive my jeep down to the wizard to install the goodies that have been stockpiling
- find a 32rh
- re-gear

Tell me more…

i'll post pics once it's buttoned up. my ilx-w650 got jacked out of my jeep a few months ago so i'm going a different route. i never liked how low the screen was and don't like having anything mounted above the dash for line of sight to the road so since i had a torn up dash from the thievery, i'm modding it to have a layout that makes more sense. in a nutshell, here's what i've done/i'm doing:

- modified a metra double din bezel by shortening it to become a single din with a storage cubby. storage cubby to house a wireless phone charger.
- moved the air vents down about 4 inches
- currently fabbing an aluminium panel to cover the defrost hoses (which actually don't look that bad) to house switches and usb ports, temp gauges and some other tidbits
- still deciding which mount i'll be using for the ipad mini. the mount will be attached to a spreader bar hidden behind the aluminium panel

once done, the ipad mini will be better positioned for line of sight to the road and won't be blocking half the windshield, or the vents. radio control is now right next to the cup holder via a memphis audio smc2a thingy. amp for speakers under steering column, amp for subs under driver seat.

UPDATE:

I've officially accomplished virtually nothing since starting this thread...

I think the only thing I've done is replace all 4 o2 sensors, but I still have cat efficiency errors.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and RINC
Sorry dude, that sucks.

I finally found where my antifreeze smell was coming from, which dictates a water pump / thermostat replacement. Might as well fix the noise heater blower at the same time.

Got the new-to-me Rockmen ACAs apart and mostly cleaned up. Should be finishing that up this weekend.

ACA install
Savy GTS install
OBA install if I am lucky
New battery connectors and Anderson quick disconnectors for the winch/jumper cables.
After that it depends on what Santa brings.

Water pump is better than a heater core any day of the week

Pull the tub off the frame. Install new shocks. Install new bearings. Install front sway bar 7 new links. Install adjustable LCA & UCAs front and back. Clean out and coat inner frame. Shave off old motor mounts. Install new diff seals front & back. True-Trac LSD for the rear ( no locker choice made for the front yet. New unit bearings in front. Rear disc brakes from the ZJ in the back with new rotors & pads. New calipers, pads in front. ZJ seat removal and new upholstery & heat pads for them. Strip and hydrodip dash, inner doors and trim. Clean up the outer frame and paint it when it starts to warm up.
Then pull the 5.2L Magnum and throw it on the mount to start the summer rebuild - disconnect the 44RE and ship it to my transmission guy for a complete rebuild.
And spend my cold, winter nights sourcing good parts.
Good times 😊

Hydro assist
Savvy transmission mount needs flipped
Rockers
Torque box repair
Genright body mounts
Savvy body lift
Tie rod flip
BMB raised sway bar links

I have everything for this minus the hydro assist cylinder. Just need to find the time.

You don’t have, “install transmission cooler “ on the list?

I'm hoping to get the 32rh transmission rebuilt, and the motor swap done in my Apex, but due to uncontrollable circumstances, my shop has been taking over by storage for the next couple months.