What's on your winter upgrade / TODO list?

- remove front bumper, sand blast and repaint
- mount winch and fog lamps
- cleanup rust, paint front section of frame and treat inside of that section
- reinstall bumper and wire winch and fog lights.

Reactions: Brianj5600
Paint and install B4WD skid plate
CavFab cross over steering ( need to order )
Order 35 or 37
Shop for a long arm kit

I forgot to add that I have the following also
1" Motor mount lift
Install body lift
Sell hard top
Paint wiper cowl

Overkill for the current bulid, but going in nonetheless. There is also a cylinder assist, sitting on the parts shelf, to go with it!

20221216_130107-jpg.384695

Why’s that?
Specifically the LoD’s or tie-ins in general?

I put LOD tie ins on mine and didnt think it was too difficult. If I remember correctly, they said to drill all the way through and install some really long bolts. I didn’t do that, just drilled though the outside and stuck bolts through from the inside and tightened them down. I tied fishing line to the bolts, ran the line through the holes and drug the bolts into place.

Reactions: 707kevin
I put LOD tie ins on mine and didnt think it was too difficult. If I remember correctly, they said to drill all the way through and install some really long bolts. I didn’t do that, just drilled though the outside and stuck bolts through from the inside and tightened them down. I tied fishing line to the bolts, ran the line through the holes and drug the bolts into place.

They don’t use the factory holes in the frame?

They don’t use the factory holes in the frame?

Yes, but I think I remember them coming with long bolts and saying to drill through the inside of the frame and then bolt it all together. I didn’t see a need to drill through the inside.

Reactions: JMT
Just like the OP, I do more “have to” in winter and drive it more in summer- maybe do more fun mods in summer-

My 04 is waiting on a UCF aluminum rear bumper, LOPRO trans mount, aluminum skid, aluminum winch plate- my recessed bumper lights are ready to go in- need my skid to arrive so I know how much to extend my stubby bumper...which also let’s the recessed lights clear the cross frame tube- beyond that just detailing the undercarriage and paint, and piddle with it.

Genright fenders are at the paint shop- hopefully those get done soon.

Going to paint the 03’s headlight bezels stone white too- I really like how that worked out.

Last edited:
Winter to-do list:
Get rear frame member replaced (broken, bad weld, got the new part, need someone to cut it off and weld in the new one)
Rear bumper endcaps (waiting for ^)
Blower motor resistor
Finish color bonding the dash
Install new seat bushings
Replace the other O2 sensor
Spruce up the sway bar cover (needs heating up and straightening, then some paint)
Fog lights (working on this now)
Backup camera
Mercedes door sensors
Smoked turn signals and side markers

Waiting for spring:
Heat shield and new carpet install
Aftermarket subwoofer in the console
Color bond the console
Gas tank filler valve
Replace door handles int/ext

Asked about the 3valve because of my experience with it. Bought a new 2004 f150 with that engine. Lasted 110000 miles. Had a ford authorized rebuilt installed. That one lasted 110000 miles. Got rid of it after that although I owned it 17 years.swore I wouldn’t buy another ford but now driving an ecoboost😂

I’ve got 230k on my 06 f150 5.4 3 valve. I have put lifters, timing chain, guides and cam phasers in it. I am waiting for the used vehicle market to crash to replace my truck.

I’ve got 230k on my 06 f150 5.4 3 valve. I have put lifters, timing chain, guides and cam phasers in it. I am waiting for the used vehicle market to crash to replace my truck.

Had an 04 with the 5.4. Bought it with 128k and sold it with 178k for $200 more than I paid for it. Only engine work it needed was a set of spark plugs, and all of them came out without issue.

Reactions: John Cooper