What's the advantage of synthetic winch line vs steel cable?

I saw logging mentioned here as a argument for steel and thought I’d give my input. I’ve been logging for many years - and unless you plan on using 3” OD and replacing it every 5 years on your winch then you can’t really compare them. Logging operations have a different application than us and they can’t be compared. Synthetic is the way to go on jeeps.
Yep, if you paid attention, practically this entire thread has been centric to keeping the use of synthetic in context and that is harder to do than I imagined.

Yep, if you paid attention, practically this entire thread has been centric to keeping the use of synthetic in context and that is harder to do than I imagined.

Always is a bit funny how these types of thread can go sideways when trying to discuss which is better for a SAID application. Just because it doesn't work in one situation doesn't make it not work in another. Logging or Tow truck isn't the same as wheelin.

It took me a long time to decide to switch over to rope from cable. But after digging one to many steel slivers out of my hands I made the choice to switch. And I was always a huge safety person as far as wearing gloves and stuff when handling cable. But even with think good gloves on it doesn't protect you sometimes.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I posed this question on the What did you do to your TJ Today thread, but I’ll ask here as well. I got a new Smittybuilt X2O synthetic winch. I want to know the proper way to spool the rope. Any input would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posed this question on the What did you do to your TJ Today thread, but I’ll ask here as well. I got a new Smittybuilt X2O synthetic winch. I want to know the proper way to spool the rope. Any input would be great.

Just like steel. We point the rig uphill slightly, anchor the end, start spooling in walking in front to make sure it spools on nicely. You're looking for about 500 lbs. of tension on the line. If you have flat ground, you can lightly set the e-brake.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Just like steel. We point the rig uphill slightly, anchor the end, start spooling in walking in front to make sure it spools on nicely. You're looking for about 500 lbs. of tension on the line. If you have flat ground, you can lightly set the e-brake.

Thanks Blaine. I followed that procedure and I think I’m all set:
1f4cd93ad697778103dbea9893247b80.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
One follow up on this. Does it matter if the rope is not 100% lined up and even all the way through? It's all lined up on the the first and second rows. After that it's kind of all over the place, but fairly even. Excuse my noob terminology, this is my first winch.

One follow up on this. Does it matter if the rope is not 100% lined up and even all the way through? It's all lined up on the the first and second rows. After that it's kind of all over the place, but fairly even. Excuse my noob terminology, this is my first winch.
It isn't critical. It does add bulk and you have to understand that when you are using the winch for a recovery, you have no control over how it spools onto the drum so it may be necessary to unspool and respool it to get it back in order after you use it. Also why I use the remote while I am at the front spooling it on under tension. I can see what is going on, push on the line to assist it, or stop and unspool some to start over in a particular area.

It isn't critical. It does add bulk and you have to understand that when you are using the winch for a recovery, you have no control over how it spools onto the drum so it may be necessary to unspool and respool it to get it back in order after you use it. Also why I use the remote while I am at the front spooling it on under tension. I can see what is going on, push on the line to assist it, or stop and unspool some to start over in a particular area.
Got it. I was at the front trying to align it as best I could. I think my incline might have been a bit severe. I'm going to unspool and try on an easier grade. Thanks again for the great advice. Much appreciated.

How about using a chain to attach the log to your synthetic winch rope, that way the abrasion does not even come into play, the chain takes all the abuse and you are safer and have a stronger line to pull with..... just say'n.....

sjalkian, I am a big fan of fewer connections, I would ditch the hook and just use the thimble on the end of your synthetic or, even better, get a safety thimble, like the ones from TRE.......

Reactions: Sj's TJ
How about using a chain to attach the log to your synthetic winch rope, that way the abrasion does not even come into play, the chain takes all the abuse and you are safer and have a stronger line to pull with..... just say'n.....

sjalkian, I am a big fan of fewer connections, I would ditch the hook and just use the thimble on the end of your synthetic or, even better, get a safety thimble, like the ones from TRE.......
If I was going to drag a bunch of logs around, I'd certainly investigate a choker of some sort. Knowing how I do things, it would likely be a chunk of 1" synthetic with a sling hook on one end for around the logs and an eye on the other to hook up to a thimble. When I wore that one out, I'd go get another one just like it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll look into a thimble after this weekends run.

Hello everyone, I am recent to the forums, and have found them to be very informative. However; in this one I have not seen any recommendations, such as; "which" synthetic rope to purchase (size and manufacture), is there a need to change the fairlead, and what about the "thimble"?

Did I miss it? Or am I looking in the wrong forum? Don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, just looking for "more" information.

Thanks.

Hello everyone, I am recent to the forums, and have found them to be very informative. However; in this one I have not seen any recommendations, such as; "which" synthetic rope to purchase (size and manufacture), is there a need to change the fairlead, and what about the "thimble"?

Did I miss it? Or am I looking in the wrong forum? Don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, just looking for "more" information.

Thanks.

I don't know which brand is better so I'll let someone with more knowledge answer that. I think one thought on size is to go up from the cable size one fraction for rope size. I may be wrong on that also.

Yes you need to change your fairlead. Most say to use a hawse fairlead as opposed to a roller fairlead. If you are using a roller fairlead you have to replace the rollers if they have ever been used with cable. The same applies to a hawse fairlead. And the same rule applies to your snatch block. I got new rollers for my fairlead when I switched. Like these.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92118_900X_PG.htm

Mmmm...poly....

There are aluminum rollers too. I have read debates about all and also over if you should even run rollers with synthetic rope. I don't know what the correct answer is.
I don't know what the ones I used are made out of as I did it like 13 years ago. They have lasted and not hurt my rope so far.

Thanks.
Go here
https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.comAnd buy the right rope to match your pull rating. Pick up a safety thimble, fairlead, and some soft shackles too, if you can afford it. Nice stuff.

Improved safety, less weight and ease of use are all good reasons to make the switch but the Aussie sun is my problem with synthetic rope, I'm still concerned UV rays will break down synthetic rope within a few short years and I'll need to keep replacing something that's not getting that much use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Head Lice
Improved safety, less weight and ease of use are all good reasons to make the switch but the Aussie sun is my problem with synthetic rope, I'm still concerned UV rays will brake down synthetic rope within a few short years and I'll need to keep replacing something that's not getting that much use.
Exactly !

Steel has been used for rigging for hundreds of years. IF you are handling it often maybe you will benefit from synthetic. Safer???? really depends on how you handle it. If you think it is safer and therefore fail to pay attention..... like adaptive cruise control and lane positioning..... you will get bitten. Synthetic is no safer than steel.

The advantage of synthetic is being able to throw it up a cliff. It is supple and easier to handle. Great advantages if you use it often.

For me the disadvantages of UV and abrasion cancel any benefit. Steel cable is still the common spec for industrial use. Synthetic is consumer driven.

Last edited:
Improved safety, less weight and ease of use are all good reasons to make the switch but the Aussie sun is my problem with synthetic rope, I'm still concerned UV rays will break down synthetic rope within a few short years and I'll need to keep replacing something that's not getting that much use.
If you wanted to run synthetic, you would figure out a way. If you want to run steel, you will figure out a way. It takes very little common sense to figure out that is synthetic is important to you and you want to run it, a simple cover when not in use will stop ALL of your concerns about UV.

Exactly !

Steel has been used for rigging for hundreds of years. IF you are handling it often maybe you will benefit from synthetic. Safer???? really depends on how you handle it. If you think it is safer and therefore fail to pay attention..... like adaptive cruise control and lane positioning..... you will get bitten. Synthetic is no safer than steel.

You are probably the only person on the face of this planet that can twist your preferences for something around to slam a product as not safer when the whole rest of the world clearly understands it to be absolutely more safe. That and we have a few more years to go before we reach 100's since steel cable was invented in 1830ish.

The advantage of synthetic is being able to throw it up a cliff. It is supple and easier to handle. Great advantages if you use it often.

That is one advantage. You clearly don't want to admit the bigger ones and those are strength and weight. The average synthetic line for this type of use is twice as strong as steel. That simply should not be ignored or dismissed.

For me the disadvantages of UV and abrasion cancel any benefit.
Do you actually know of any winch line issues that have been caused by exposure to UV? I'm in the sun with mine, it has never been covered, it has never failed, and I've never had a problem in the last 20 years of using synthetic.

Steel cable is still the common spec for industrial use. Synthetic is consumer driven.
This is your typical drive-by commenting again. You drop these little nuggets of bullshit and then run away when directly addressed by someone. You leave them there to stink up the place like your snake oil comments about brakes and when clearly refuted, you don't come back and take your medicine. We went through this before. There are many industries where synthetic is the higher strength choice where UV is prevalent and it has nothing to do with consumers. Practically the entire US marine towing industry uses synthetic for all the same reasons we do. That is not an insignificant industry and in fact is the one directly responsible for the carry over use into recovery winches that we enjoy.