What's the best AGM battery to buy?

I have a 170 amp alternator already as part of my onboard welder. I just know on some of the really long winch hills here in the PNW it is enough to make my volt gauge drop to about 9V and the check gauges lite to come on. And I am also running dual batteries to try and help. If the XS batt's aren't going to offer the power for long then I'll just go with the Odyssey.
This is what Singer quoted me last year for an HO alt:

128MM standard case (denso 6 phase hairpin)
MDL PRICE IDLE OUTPUT

180A $369 150A (200A peak)
220A $429 155A (240A peak)
240A $449 160A (260A peak)

Larger case (138MM stator)
MDL PRICE IDLE OUTPUT
250A $569 190+A (270A peak)
270A $599 200+A (280A peak)
320A $729 210+A (340A peak)
350A $769 215+A (370A peak)
370A $799 220+A (380A peak)

Upgrading to one of the highest ones would probably eliminate your voltage drop forever.

I have a singer 270 in my f150 and it has given me no problems in many years.

I already have dual batteries. I'm wondering now if the Optima batteries that I had might have been part of the issue. Won't know until I get the Jeep back on the trail and can try it out.

I already have dual batteries. I'm wondering now if the Optima batteries that I had might have been part of the issue. Won't know until I get the Jeep back on the trail and can try it out.
If you have a clamp meter, you might want to verify the aftermarket alt is putting out sufficient current. If it has a phase or two dead, it could cause issues at high draw but not at low draw.

The alternator is going back to Premier here soon to get rebuilt so I'll make sure I have them check it out.

I have a Bosch AGM in my Jeep, and my Magnum. The one in my Jeep is easily over 3 years old, and my Jeep has fired right up numerous times even after sitting for 3 weeks+.

I bought them both at Pep Boys for really no more than a standard shit battery.

Going to revive this thread instead of starting another. Need a batter for my summer Jeep. Is AGM worth the price? Read some debates online that AGMs generally require a slightly higher charging voltage in order to get the battery to a full charge (which is what all lead-acid based batteries like). As such, most cars that don't have an AGM setting or take AGM natively can't charge an AGM anywhere close to full.

Is the price difference worth it for a AGM? I've seen the Energizer on Costco, for $199 (Canadian).

Good AGM batteries take a lot more abuse than standard flooded batteries, and have better capacities. Since they are sealed, they are much less likely to leak

Going to revive this thread instead of starting another. Need a batter for my summer Jeep. Is AGM worth the price?

Read the article cited in Post #6. It outlines the types of AGM batteries.

There are several tiers -

Pure lead AGM like Northstar and Odyssey - top of the line with top of the line pricing

"Calcium" AGM like the offerings from NAPA, O'Reillys, Duracell, etc., - good batteries at a more reasonable price point and suitable for most jeepers looking to upgrade from a flooded lead acid battery who either can't afford the price point of a Northstar or don't need the features of a pure lead AGM battery. I will probably buy one of these as my next battery

Optima - Nothing starts a flame war on this forum faster than saying anything positive about an Optima battery. Whether or not I have anything positive to say will never be known because I stay out of discussions regarding Optima as much as possible.

As far as charging profiles are concerned, you are correct that some vehicles cannot fully charge some AGM batteries. For example, there are internet forum discussions that the old Sears Diehard AGM (no longer available) was impossible to fully charge with a vehicle alternator, but further reading reveals that it was only the Group 31's with that problem, not other sizes, and that it was Toyotas with that issue more often than other makes. The issue was resolved by many simply by purchasing a bench or trickle charger with the proper charging profile for the battery and topping off the charge periodically. However, I don't think you will have that issue with a TJ charging system and one of the calcium based AGM batteries.

Happy shopping.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Thanks for the feedback. Going to outweighed the options. This is a sunny day cruiser so the Jeep does not see any abuse. May just stick to a traditional battery.

Thanks for the feedback. Going to outweighed the options. This is a sunny day cruiser so the Jeep does not see any abuse. May just stick to a traditional battery.

In that case I'd go with the cheapest value option and save some cash for filling up at the station.

Reactions: freebo86
. . . May just stick to a traditional battery.

For a conventional flooded lead acid battery it is hard to beat the 800 CCA Interstate Group 34 battery from Costco (Item # 850241). It is exactly the same as the Interstate MTP-34 but costs substantially less.

Costco's "no questions asked" warranty on batteries has changed but is still better than nearly everyone else's - full replacement within 42 months rather than Costco's past warranty of full replacement until 36 months with pro-rata replacement after that.

I have been using Costco Interstate flooded lead acid batteries in three different vehicles for several years. Each battery has served me well.

In that case I'd go with the cheapest value option and save some cash for filling up at the station.

Extra gas or other mod money is always welcome!

For a conventional flooded lead acid battery it is hard to beat the 800 CCA Interstate Group 34 battery from Costco (Item # 850241). It is exactly the same as the Interstate MTP-34 but costs substantially less.

Costco's "no questions asked" warranty on batteries has changed but is still better than nearly everyone else's - full replacement within 42 months rather than Costco's past warranty of full replacement until 36 months with pro-rata replacement after that.

I have been using Costco Interstate flooded lead acid batteries in three different vehicles for several years. Each battery has served me well.

Yah that is why I have been looking at Costco in particular. Even their AGM battery which is the Energizer I referenced above has 25% total cost refund between 81-100months after purchase..

Energizer AGM & Unbranded AGM
0-60 months - Full refund based on purchase price
61-80 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
81-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

Kirkland Signature Automotive (flooded battery)
0-48 months - Free replacement
49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price