What's the biggest tire I can fit?

gatertamer

Mud dauber
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
what is the easiest way (without removing springs and shocks) to see how big of tires you can fit on a 2000 tj with 5 1/4 lift.....anyone running 36's or 37"s with no rub?

More importantly than what fits is learning no axle ever installed onto a Wrangler TJ is up to surviving with anything bigger than 35". Not with alloy axle shafts, axle tube inserts, not with trusses.

Reactions: gatertamer
You could fit 37s very likely with that much lift. However, you’ll lose a tremendous amount of up-travel, at which point it will hinder your off-road performance significantly.

You’ll also need Dana 60s or similar to run those 37s.

makes sense jerry...just got re-geared to 4:56 with 4.0 and a/t....just wanted to see how big to go

so chris you think with that amount of lift that 37"s will not rub but may hinder my muddin?

so chris you think with that amount of lift that 37"s will not rub but may hinder my muddin?

Yes, they will for sure.

But not just that, your stock axles won’t handle 37s with mudding. You really need Dana 60s or similar if you want that big of a tire and plan to go off roaring with it.

Stock axles can be built to handle 35s fine, but anything larger than that and even built stock axles won’t last that long with 37s.

Reactions: gatertamer
You could fit 37s very likely with that much lift. However, you’ll lose a tremendous amount of up-travel, at which point it will hinder your off-road performance significantly.

Some of us are running 37s with a 4" lift. ;)

With 37's I think you will need more than 4:56 gears, just saying if you want to move them up hills

I'd highly suggest more power at that point.

Reactions: Chris