What's the deal with steering stabilizers?

fljeeper

TJ Enthusiast
So, is there really any reason to buy a particular steering stabilizer? I see prices from about $35 for a Monroe to $75 and beyond for some of the other brands that are common.

Thanks,

Daniel

With me it made a big difference in the side to side movement esp. When going going around a bumpy turn..I put in a BDS steering stabilizer I think about $70 ... But the hopping and skipping my jeep was doing is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leonjose73
The only way a steering stabilizer will make a difference is if your stock stabilizer is blown. Other than that, I didn't notice a difference at all when I put my new OME stabilizer on. Of course, my stock one wasn't blown, so that makes sense.

A steering stabilizer is more properly known as a steering damper. Its sole job is to help isolate the steering system from bumps & jolts on the road.

If you are having a steering issue like steering feedback, bump steer, death wobble, shimmies, or anything similar, a steering damper is never the fix. A stabilizer/damper can often mask or cover up problems but they're just a band-aid for a problem that has a root cause that needs to be fixed. Another way of saying this is that a new steering damper is never the cure for any steering issue. Period.

A good basic steering stabilizer/damper is just a hydraulic shock that is valved 50:50 so it resists equally in both directions. They don't cost much and something from Monroe, Rancho, etc. that isn't expensive is absolutely fine. I run a very basic Rancho but have used other brands with no real difference. Higher-end stabilzers are normally gas-charged because they're sold by high-end shock manufacturers who usually make nothing but gas-charged shocks. There's no real benefit to a gas-charged (aka "nitro") steering damper because hydraulic shock problems like cavitation that make gas-charged shocks good for suspensions don't exist for a steering system.

Go with a less costly steering damper/stabilizer (which will be hydraulic) and you'll be fine. Make sure the steering stabilizer kit includes a tapered mounting stud as shown below. The OE tapered mounting stud is a permanent part of the OE steering stabilizer so you'll need a replacement after you have removed the OE steering damper.

Steering stabilizer tapered stud.jpg

Last edited:
@Jerry Bransford, how do you know that you would need a new steering stabilizer? My cheering section thinks I need to replace mine just because I am redoing the suspension on my 2003. I don't mind replacing it but seems to me that there should be a line somewhere?

Pull the steering damper off or at least unbolt the driver's side. Then push/pull the strut fully in & out of the body. The strut of a good hydraulic stabilizer (aka damper) will firmly resist being pushed/pulled equally in both directions.

A bad shock/stabilizer/damper will have lost most of its ability to resist being compressed/extended. I.e. your hand would be able to easily push/pull the strut in/out of the body.

Reactions: Noslo65 and Chris
A steering damper essentially restricts movement over time. When you turn your steering wheel in a parking lot for instance, the orifices in the valve(s) have plenty of time to allow fluid to transfer as the piston goes through its stroke. Strike a rock or hit a rut at 20mph and a few milliseconds isn't enough time for allow much piston movement. The net result is less stress on the steering box and less feedback to the steering wheel. Driving down the highway at 55mph, the steering damper could be brand new or completely shot - you wouldn't feel anything. Off-road in the rough stuff, you would definitely feel it.

I agree with Jerry. I bought a $35 dollar one off of Amazon, spray painted it black and tossed the fancy decal in the garbage. Lots of marketing and hype surround these with the sole intent of sucking some more green out of your wallet.

Reactions: Chris
You remember the stabilizer with the coil spring on it? I don't know if they still sell that or not but I remember it from years back.

You remember the stabilizer with the coil spring on it? I don't know if they still sell that or not but I remember it from years back.
Don't install one of those where the steering stabilizer goes. That spring would just give uneven steering.

What was the point of the coil spring?
From what I remember reading about them, they're supposed to help with returning the wheel to center. There were two guys in the local Jeep club that tried them, but didn't keep them on for long. I don't remember their reason for taking them off though.

From what I remember reading about them, they're supposed to help with returning the wheel to center.
Correct caster & toe-in angles are what provide good steering return-to-center without requiring further assistance from a spring.

Last edited:
A steering stabilizer is more properly known as a steering damper. Its sole job is to help isolate the steering system from bumps & jolts on the road.

If you are having a steering issue like steering feedback, bump steer, death wobble, shimmies, or anything similar, a steering damper is never the fix. A stabilizer/damper can often mask or cover up problems but they're just a band-aid for a problem that has a root cause that needs to be fixed. Another way of saying this is that a new steering damper is never the cure for any steering issue. Period.

A good basic steering stabilizer/damper is just a hydraulic shock that is valved 50:50 so it resists equally in both directions. They don't cost much and something from Monroe, Rancho, etc. that isn't expensive is absolutely fine. I run a very basic Rancho but have used other brands with no real difference. Higher-end stabilzers are normally gas-charged because they're sold by high-end shock manufacturers who usually make nothing but gas-charged shocks. There's no real benefit to a gas-charged (aka "nitro") steering damper because hydraulic shock problems like cavitation that make gas-charged shocks good for suspensions don't exist for a steering system.

Go with a less costly steering damper/stabilizer (which will be hydraulic) and you'll be fine. Make sure the steering stabilizer kit includes a tapered mounting stud as shown below. The OE tapered mounting stud is a permanent part of the OE steering stabilizer so you'll need a replacement after you have removed the OE steering damper.

View attachment 5588

I have a related question, Is there any upside to having a dual stabilizer setup? For highway driving? I’m moving across the country in July and will be driving my only vehicle(wrangler TJ lifted on 35’s, OEM tie rods, drag links and single rough country stabilizer). I’ve never had death wobble and can drive totally fine at highway speeds with no issues...unless there’s wind. And driving through some states I’m guaranteed to be battling some. Now I now it’s a lifted Jeep and they’re just like sail boats but id there anything that would help with that?