What's the difference between a GMRS and BaoFeng two-way radio?

No difference. The Baofeng UV-5R is a GMRS radio.

Edit: To appease the purists among us. The Boafeng is not "technically" a GMRS radio even though it functions very well as such so that the communication layman (myself) would never know the difference.

Last edited:
These are good radios by the way. My crew started using them last year and I'd recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade to an entry level GMRS platform.

Reactions: Irun
These are good radios by the way. My crew started using them last year and I'd recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade to an entry level GMRS platform.
I thought so, but reading the description doesn't make it clear. So if I went with something like a Midland MXT275 or 400, I'm good to go? Also, the BaoFeng radios require a license correct?

if you mean between the basic GMRS hand held and that one.. the basic ones you don't have to program, just rotate through the 20 or so channels they have... easy peasy. I think those boefang you have to program the frequencies in but I could be wrong.

None of the hand helds will work as good as an installed gmrs with external antenna though.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Irun
Is there licensing involved with GMRS? I can't keep it straight
"Technically speaking" you need a license to operate a GMRS within the FCC's jurisdiction. That being said, I'm aware of plenty of folks who operate without a license. To each his own. This rule applies to the Midland radios as well, regardless of manufacturer.

It all has to do with how they are programmed. I’m reprogramming my rugged radio handhelds (same as baofeng for the most part) to have the same channels as my gmrs. At least that’s what I think I’m doing.

if you mean between the basic GMRS hand held and that one.. the basic ones you don't have to program, just rotate through the 20 or so channels they have... easy peasy. I think those boefang you have to program the frequencies in but I could be wrong.

None of the hand helds will work as good as an installed gmrs with external antenna though.
I don't plan on a hand held for trail use. I've used enough to know the limitations. Any radio I get will be installed, like the CB. What I see in the GMRS models, is basically a difference in power output.

Last edited:

I think you may be referring to the smaller radios that you can pick up at any box store. Those operate on the FRS (family radio service) frequency and have lower transmitting power. No license required for FRS.

I think you may be referring to the smaller radios that you can pick up at any box store. Those operate on the FRS (family radio service) frequency and have lower transmitting power. No license required for FRS.
No, there are hand held GMRS radios that don't need the frequencies programmed, 5-8watt I think... they are used just like my Midland, dial channel 12 or 15 or whatever, no frequencies or programming needed.

This is what I use...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN2FBML/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: inkedrose
Based on what I saw, yes. No test, just paperwork and, of course, a fee.
One perk to the GMRS license, it's good for you and your immediate family members. So you can grab a pair of these radios to communicate with your wife/ kids/ dog under the same license.

This is a good chart of FRS-GMRS and various allowed watts. A lot of the Baofeng HTs are for the ham bands, but can be programmed (against fcc rules) to the FRS/GMRS frequencies.
FRS-GMRS-Frequency-Chart.jpg

Yup, sorry about that. I thought you were referring to something like this sweet walkie talkie.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWLTDHL/?tag=wranglerorg-20
LOL I'll take the blue one!

but seriously, that chart above with frequencies is why I stuck with basic GMRS... I've seen more than one guy on a trail have issues when the group says "gmrs channel 4" and he can't figure out his frequencies :/

Get a legal Part 95E radio and buy the license. The UV-5R is a ham radio that can be programmed to use GMRS frequencies, illegally. Yeah, they are cheap, but you can get a legal radio like this one, https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-gm-30 for cheap, and it is repeater capable if you get your license. I have this HT, and it is solid, and super easy to use. In the Jeep I have the Midland MXT-275. Also super easy to use with great range.

Reactions: SSTJ, D M and Irun