What's the difference between a GMRS and BaoFeng two-way radio?

Get a legal Part 95E radio and buy the license. The UV-5R is a ham radio that can be programmed to use GMRS frequencies, illegally. Yeah, they are cheap, but you can get a legal radio like this one, https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-gm-30 for cheap, and it is repeater capable if you get your license. I have this HT, and it is solid, and super easy to use. In the Jeep I have the Midland MXT-275. Also super easy to use with great range.
I will only do it one way, correctly! (y)

LOL I'll take the blue one!

but seriously, that chart above with frequencies is why I stuck with basic GMRS... I've seen more than one guy on a trail have issues when the group says "gmrs channel 4" and he can't figure out his frequencies :/
Yeah, you need to follow the general channel layout when programming your UV-5R. Or you can just dial in the frequency that everyone else is on. Either way works.

Midland = easy button
Baofeng = Electrical Engineering degree required to find the power switch

FCC lisc required for either
Lol! Nah, if a goon like myself can figure it out then anybody can! 👍

Reactions: SSTJ
Get a legal Part 95E radio and buy the license. The UV-5R is a ham radio that can be programmed to use GMRS frequencies, illegally. Yeah, they are cheap, but you can get a legal radio like this one, https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-gm-30 for cheap, and it is repeater capable if you get your license. I have this HT, and it is solid, and super easy to use. In the Jeep I have the Midland MXT-275. Also super easy to use with great range.
The link doesn't seem to be working?

I also use the Midland MXT-275, have 2 frs/gmrs walkie talkie backups and a UV5R that I never use here are charts I have saved in my phone for anyone that needs them. Theyre useful because 99% of repeaters I get access to give the freq and not channel. So here is the conversion chart along with CTC and DCS privacy tones
2E835E0B-2E10-4CEA-AA5C-5DEBC7944680.png
B8D42B52-8CC1-46E6-9BCE-33957C007C73.jpeg

Reactions: SvtLdr
How do privacy codes work? That's one thing I'd like to learn more about. Does anyone have a link to a good video/ tutorial?

Reactions: D M
How do privacy codes work? That's one thing I'd like to learn more about. Does anyone have a link to a good video/ tutorial?
The way im understanding it:

Just an example
You and I are using channel 22/freq462.725 without a repeater. You and I can hear eachother and others transmit/speak if they are in reach.

bobthetj03 and apparition are using a repeater under channel 22/freq .725, and they can reach us using their repeater so we can hear them on our channel, but when we transmit/speak, they cannot hear us, that is because the repeater uses privacy tones, and if you and I dont have the tones to key into the repeater, then we cant use the repeater.
you need privacy tones to "tune in" to a repeater under said frequency, without it, youll just be talking to anyone whos not using a repeater and within reach- not very far in the city

Im missing info, but this will give you a good idea

Reactions: Apparition
Helpful video right here
Good video but not a lot in there to do with privacy codes. Are privacy codes involved only when using a repeater? Or can you set them up for simplex communication also?

Reactions: D M