What's the Favorite Mid-Level GMRS Radio?

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The local group is slowly moving to GMRS. We have been playing with the BaoFeng UV5-R since TJFest and I want something with a cleaner sound and is a little easier to use.

Admittedly, I barely understand most of this radio communication stuff, but there are a few things that I think I know I want to have.

-Hard mounted setup
-Greater than 5 watts
-Wide band rather than narrow
-All 22 channels
-small would be nice

Basically, I want to have access to features that a good radio has in the event that I decide I want to learn more.

The Midland units are out for the above reasons and because I don't want to refer to the manual to input repeater codes.

In my research, I keep coming back to the Wouxun KG-1000G. But I'm reluctant to spend ~$300 when so much of this is foreign to me.

Thoughts?

Reactions: pagrey
Basically, I want to have access to features that a good radio has in the event that I decide I want to learn more.
GMRS doesn't have features, that's the whole point. GMRS radios are a step down from something like the UV-5R with all respects except power. For trail communications I don't see a need for higher power unless you are using a repeater and that's pretty rare. You can use chirp and program all the GMRS, FRS and MURS stations in one shot and never think about it again. If you ever want to learn more it can branch out into quite a bit more. I use the uv-5rtp for 8w but almost all the time I have it in low or mid power, there just isn't a point. Basically with GMRS you aren't going to "learn" anything, it's just plug and play so you don't have to.

Reactions: IrishWake
GMRS doesn't have features, that's the whole point. GMRS radios are a step down from something like the UV-5R with all respects except power. For trail communications I don't see a need for higher power unless you are using a repeater and that's pretty rare. You can use chirp and program all the GMRS, FRS and MURS stations in one shot and never think about it again. If you ever want to learn more it can branch out into quite a bit more. I use the uv-5rtp for 8w but almost all the time I have it in low or mid power, there just isn't a point. Basically with GMRS you aren't going to "learn" anything, it's just plug and play so you don't have to.
First and foremost, I want a hard mounted radio, not a handheld.

Reactions: Jim B
Re-programming the squelch on the baofeng radios allows them to be much more enjoyable.

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php
One big silly reason I don't like the BaoFeng is that I keep turning the volume down. I'm less interested in messing too much with the BF, when I can't hear it to begin with. Granted, this may be specific to how I hold and toss around this radio, but that isn't going to change. This is one reason I want a hard mounted radio as my primary.

Reactions: tworley and rasband
Volume isn't squelch. They make handheld mics for the UV-5R radios that have speakers and allow you to "hard mount" the radio but it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations, plenty of good radios out there.

Midland GMRS radios are very user friendly, more so than the Baofengs and Wouxons. They are designed and marketed as the "no brains or skill required" successor to CB and are intentionally simple to use.

The Midland MXT115 and MXT275 units are quite small.

[I have a Midland MXT400 in my Sprinter, purchased by the van's previous owner. I have found it easier to program and use than any of my ham radios, including my Baofeng using Chirp.]

Reactions: D M
Volume isn't squelch. They make handheld mics for the UV-5R radios that have speakers and allow you to "hard mount" the radio but it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I'm sure you'll get some good recommendations, plenty of good radios out there.
I made up my mind about the volume knob, yes. 😉

Reactions: pagrey
Another vote for the mxt275, @bobthetj03 got me hooked on it and im very pleased with it. Rated at 15W and hard mounted. I mounted mine on the back off the ammo can and comes over to the dash. Youll probably want the upgraded antenna since the one it comes with isnt really adequate for anything(IHMO)

Such a great radio while still being so simple. Great sound quality, great range, and easy to tune SWR. I love it!

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio/
https://midlandusa.com/product/micromobile-mxta26-6db-gain-whip-antenna/

Don't get hung up on the wide band/narrow band hang ups. You won't notice much of a difference most of the time. I have the 275 in my jeep. I like having all the controls on the Mic. I mounted the base unit behind the center console, but the base unit is small enough to put under the dash or steering column.
The wouxan is a superior radio, with lots of features to grow if you catch the bug and get into communicating via repeaters. Radioddity has a 20 watt unit that you might want to look at.

Reactions: D M and jjvw
I just bought the Mxt 275 bundle. Haven't installed it yet. But plan on behind knee bolster.With the mic having all functions, its like the old cobra 75 cb..I still will need to get the larger antenna.

Don't get hung up on the wide band/narrow band hang ups. You won't notice much of a difference most of the time. I have the 275 in my jeep. I like having all the controls on the Mic. I mounted the base unit behind the center console, but the base unit is small enough to put under the dash or steering column.
The wouxan is a superior radio, with lots of features to grow if you catch the bug and get into communicating via repeaters. Radioddity has a 20 watt unit that you might want to look at.
I've seen the Radioddity referenced a few times. I'll take a closer look at it.

Reactions: bobthetj03
This is probably only some of your requirements, but I picked up an ICOM ic-2730a with a Mars mod. It’s a full HAM radio and the MARS mod allows transmitting on GMRS frequencies. Technically, it’s not fully legal but came from the manufacturer this way.

The important thing to know about this radio, however, is that the head and radio are independent of each other. As such, you have to buy/build whatever kit you want to either have them together or remote. It adds cost.

However it does let you put the face and mic where you want it and hide the base wherever you want. mine is under my driver seat, but now that I have more fab equipment I’d probably tuck it under the dash when I revisit it.

Also, you’ll need a speaker for it if you hide the base anywhere (where the speakers are) they’re obviously muffled under my seat otherwise.

Setup isn’t terrible, but I’ve not yet spent time to try to get it to work with CHIRP. I just set the common setup we use and haven’t touched it much yet.

GMRS doesn't have features, that's the whole point.
Privacy codes throw folks for a loop, as can the offset for repeaters, especially with different send/receive codes.

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
If you decide to access repeaters, you need to buy a GMRS licence to be legal, and buy a part 95E compliant radio for GMRS. As you likely know by now, having watched Randy's videos, a uv5r is a Ham radio, and not legal to transmit on GMRS frequencies.