What's the opinion on outer axle seals?

You will get zero love for those on this forum.

I have them, but only because I wasn't in the shop at the time they were installed to stop my gear guy from installing them. It isn't worth the time and effort of disassembly just to remove them, but they will come off at the next available opportunity.

The factory arrangement is all you need.

in before 30 pages of debate.

Pros: keeps stuff out of the tube, probably. Although stuff in the tube isn't that big of a deal, hence why the factory put the seal where they did. The goal is to keep stuff out of the diff, and outer seals can be seen as a first line of defense.

Cons: if your inner seals fail, outer seals will probably hide that fact because they'll hold your gear lube in. If your inner seals fail you will absolutely want to know about it, and outer seals will make it so you don't know.

Reactions: Northgeorgiarider
I'm in favor of the outer axle seals. I feel that the pros outweigh the cons and they work well for me and the type of wheeling I do. Yes, I feel they're worth the time.

No, they do not support the axle at all. That's the job of the hub assembly.

Reactions: Northgeorgiarider
Correct me if im wrong please, but this would only refer to front axles right? From my understanding the rears have an outer seal only and no inner seal.

We are discussing front axle outer seals like the red thing in this photo:

Left Side Knuckle.jpg

Tossed mine in the trash.

That's easy for you to say, your build thread suggests that your front axles might be apart as often as they are together. ;)

Mine will stay where they are until there is another reason to pull the front axle shafts. Until then, I have to pay attention to be sure the outer seals aren't trapping stuff in the tubes or masking an inner seal leak. Its an inconvenience I can live with for awhile, but I still wish they had never been installed.

Correct me if im wrong please, but this would only refer to front axles right? From my understanding the rears have an outer seal only and no inner seal.
You are correct.

Reactions: L0jik
I have one tj with them and one without. Probably no value but if and when I tear the one down that doesn't have them, I will install them. For the pennies they cost, why not?

I'm in a stubborn mood today, so I'll poke the bear, a little. If I were running a TJ/LJ with stock hub bearings I wouldn't consider running tube seals. There's no reason to pull the axles, for regular maintenance, so you wouldn't know you had an inner seal leak, until there was a major issue.

However, I do use them, but only for the following reasons:
- I run manual locking hubs
- I wheel in a part of the country where mud and foul smelling water can't be avoided
- My Jeep see's extremely low miles
- I'm religious about annual bearing packing and inspection/replacement, including seals
- I routinely grease and closely inspect the tube seals

FWIW, I just disassembled a Dana 30 that had more than a 1/4" of dried Va. red clay and muck in the tubes. Cleaning the short side out isn't a big deal, but doing the long side is a pain. All that said, I wouldn't recommend tube seals, but I'm comfortable running with them in my scenario.

As a data point, two years ago I discovered a leaking seal during one of my routine inspections. I fixed the issue and re-installed the tube seals. Bottom line, there are lots of factors to consider before installing them. If you're the fix and forget type, don't!

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
They're a fix in search of a non-existent problem. They're absolutely not needed, which is why the factory didn't seal the tubes either. Nor are they even a good thing to have installed, they'll just hide a leaky inner axle seal which wouldn't be good.

They came on my present TJ, this is what I did with them the first time I had the axle apart.

Outer-Seals.jpg

Why not just run the outer seals and do away with the inner seals. Easier to work on that way ?? The lube will be at same level...just like the rear end ?? Am I missing something ?

Why not just run the outer seals and do away with the inner seals. Easier to work on that way ?? The lube will be at same level...just like the rear end ?? Am I missing something ?
i think i imagine what you're saying? assuming i got this right, that would never work. soon as the passenger side wheel drops lower than the driver side, all you gear lube would drain into the long side of the axle?

Reactions: pc1p