What's this gadget?

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
My Rubicon came with this gadget on the left of the photo that plugs into a slot in a device mounted below the dash...all I know is the Jeep will not start or even turn over without this plugged in. It has no name or markings other than Made in USA. Is there a name for this thing? What worries me is I only got one of these when I bought the TJ, and I am hoping not to lose it.

I could leave it in the Jeep all the time, but I tend to take it out to keep anyone from trying to start the Jeep when I'm not around. I either need to remove this device altogether, or find out how to get a second one I can put on my spare key ring.
GEDC0980.JPG

Anything designed to kill the engine when it thinks someone is trying to steal it would scare me to death to have it on my Jeep. They're usually good for two things. 1) It's gonna fail and cause you problems in the future. 2) When it fails it will be 10:30 at night on a dark and lonely road and you'll be repeating WTF WTF WTF over and over again.

Before it fails, I'd see if you can figure out who installed it and have them undo the changes. Odds are not good it was installed using good wiring techniques or made with sterling bulletproof quality. Many shops just use snap-on splices and twist wires together with electrical tape wrapped around things, nothing I would trust.

Heck the factory security (SKIM) system on my wife's Grand Cherokee failed within its first year. It wouldn't stay running with her key, it would run 2 seconds and die after it figured out it didn't like her key's security code. It's a good thing I was with her since I had my key which we used for the rest of the trip.

Reactions: billiebob and JP13
Anything designed to kill the engine when it thinks someone is trying to steal it would scare me to death to have it on my Jeep. They're usually good for two things. 1) It's gonna fail and cause you problems in the future. 2) When it fails it will be 10:30 at night on a dark and lonely road and you'll be repeating WTF WTF WTF over and over again.

Before it fails, I'd see if you can figure out who installed it and have them undo the changes. Odds are not good it was installed using good wiring techniques or made with sterling bulletproof quality. Many shops just use snap-on splices and twist wires together with electrical tape wrapped around things, nothing I would trust.

Heck the factory security (SKIM) system on my wife's Grand Cherokee failed within its first year. It wouldn't stay running with her key, it would run 2 seconds and die after it figured out it didn't like her key's security code. It's a good thing I was with her since I had my key which we used for the rest of the trip.
Funny you mention that. Just the other day I decided to drive the jeep to work. Came out after work and and started it up, within seconds it died. Tried it again and same thing. Figuring it had something to do with the "Chip" key, I removed the key from the ignition and waited a few. Tried it again and it worked. I guess it was just a fluke, but really got me thinking, if I should carry the spare also.

but really got me thinking, if I should carry the spare also.
... ya think that may be a good idea after your regular key already had issue? :D I always have two SKIM keys with me.

What I'm thinking about doing is just taping one of those two SKIM keys up inside the steering column housing next to the SKIM code reader. Then I can use a regular cheap Home Depot non-SKIM key copy as my normal daily-driver key. With that second SKIM key stashed/hidden away somewhere else in the Jeep.

... ya think that may be a good idea after your regular key already had issue? :D I always have two SKIM keys with me.

What I'm thinking about doing is just taping one of those two SKIM keys up inside the steering column housing next to the SKIM code reader. Then I can use a regular cheap Home Depot non-SKIM key copy as my normal daily-driver key. With that second SKIM key stashed/hidden away somewhere else in the Jeep.
Couldn't you just pull the tiny transponder out of the key and tape it close to the reader? it would be less conspicuous and easier to mount.

Couldn't you just pull the tiny transponder out of the key and tape it close to the reader? it would be less conspicuous and easier to mount.
Yes but I'm not worrying about anyone seeing it since it would be hidden inside the plastic clamshell cover that goes around the steering wheel shaft. Plus having that key hidden inside there gives me a little more peace of mind since when I'm out in my TJ, it's usually way out in the boondocks. Having gotten stranded once after losing the only key I had, that's not going to happen to me again. Not to mention it was my parent's car and I was stranded at the beach instead of the library where I said I was going lol. :D

Last edited:
We had one on our '94 Nissan P/U. we called it a "Starter Thingy". I eventually removed it. I chased the wires until I found where it was spliced in, (it was installed on a main ignition wire), removed it, and re-spliced the wires with a butt connector. Fifteen years later, it still works.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It's just a fancy kill switch jumper, inside it's nothing more than random jumper wires between different pins to complete the circuit for ignition, starter, fuel pump, or whatever they decided to splice into. You will have to trace the wires from the plug to where they've been spliced in and undo the circuit breaks.

Thanks for the information. I will look for the wiring and undo it. One more observation - after starting the Jeep, you can pull this 'electro lock' and the engine runs fine. You just can't start it without this jumper inserted into the slot. To me that points to it interrupting the starter circuit.

I guess there is always the option of permanently attaching it, then zip tying it up under the dash, but I would prefer to remove it.

Thanks for the information. I will look for the wiring and undo it. One more observation - after starting the Jeep, you can pull this 'electro lock' and the engine runs fine. You just can't start it without this jumper inserted into the slot. To me that points to it interrupting the starter circuit.

I guess there is always the option of permanently attaching it, then zip tying it up under the dash, but I would prefer to remove it.
Then it's just a "starter kill" and, once the vehicle is started, has no effect. Should be pretty simple to disable.

As someone who is still heartbroken over the theft of his first TJ, I'm astounded to see you say that.

The one absolutely undefeatable theft deterrent you have on your rig and you're gonna bypass it? :bash:

Sorry to have to bring this thread back to life...I may have done something monumentally stupid, but I am not sure...

This is the story. I was successful in removing this 'security' device a couple of months ago. It basically is just a start circuit interrupt, where the Jeep will not start unless the fob unit is in the slot. So removing it and splicing the wire worked like a charm...fast forward to last Saturday, when I had to run home for a reason. While I was there, I put the top up on my Jeep due to impending rain, it appeared. After putting the top up, I backed the Jeep into my carport because it had the windows out, and I did not want to put them in. I then left to go back to a gathering I had left.

Monday morning, I went to go to work, and no Jeep keys. I tore the house, both vehicles, the workshop, and everything else apart looking for those keys, to no avail. My biggest concern is I either dropped the keys on the ground, or maybe left them sitting on the seat (which is not something I can see myself doing), and someone might have picked them up to 'retrieve' my Jeep later...my wife says I am paranoid, but in light of not knowing what happened to my set of keys (which I have a spare set), I put the device mentioned above back on, so that if it's not in, the Jeep won't start.

Can the ignition cylinder be re-keyed for a different key? I know it would cost serious bucks, but I would like to be confident that someone might not show up one of these days and drive away with my Rubicon should I forget to remove my little gadget one day...any and all advice appreciated.

The possible monumentally stupid part is if I left the keys on the seat, but like I said, I just don't know...

I will re-key any and all that need to be. Best case scenario between now and then is I find my keys.

If the ignition is re-keyed to another key, will the chip need to be reprogrammed, or just change the teeth on the key?

In terms of price of rekeying, it's not that much. On my 06, I had to replace my Ignition Lock Cylinder (Dorman 924-703) - it came with keys. It was roughly $50.

I can't help you with whether the chip needs to be reprogrammed though. Mine didn't come with that.

THIS ^^^ 100% !!

In Canada we have Daytime Running Lights. Turns the highbeams on at a lower voltage during the day. A great concept !!

About 10pm I looked out and saw my lights ON. Took a few minutes to realize it was only the DRL.

I unplugged the lights and googled the problem. Jeep decided to install a motion detector to turn the DRL on. When that motion detector fails, as a failsafe the DRL come on.... even if the Jeep is shut off, locked up. 2 solutions, buy a new motion detector box thing, $50. OR cut the red, white wire.

As Gerry says above. I cut the red white wire. Last thing I need is to be working 50 miles civilization and find I have a dead battery.