What's your favorite gasket scraper?

RMETeeJay

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I am considering investing in one for the toolbox that’s engineered for steel surfaces. Do they save time over razor blade scrapers? What has worked best for you?

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I’ve never found a gasket scraper I like. I use the 2” 3M Roloc bristle discs:

1656118730773.jpeg

The white is the finest grit and the green is the coarsest. I use the finest that works for the situation. Care must be taken to mind the dust, though. They are plastic with abrasive embedded in them, so the dust is abrasive. You have to ensure that you stuff rags in everywhere and vacuum when done because you don’t want that dust in your engine/transmission/diff/TC!

Last edited:
I’ve never found a gasket scraper I like. I use the 2” 3M Roloc bristle discs:

View attachment 338934

The white is the finest grit and the green is the coarsest. I use the finest that works for the situation. Care must be taken to mind the dust, though. They are plastic with abrasive embedded in them, so the dust is abrasive. You have to ensure that you stuff rags in everywhere and vacuum when done because you don’t want that dust in your engine/transmission/diff/TC!

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that. Looks like it would speed up the process.

I use these, they have different ways that they attach to the arbor(?), I have the snap in kind. Different sizes and grits as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B91090/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I think you can find them in smaller packages

I‘ve usually used razor blades, but tried those on the water pump and thermostat mounting surfaces the last time I changed them After getting the bulk of it with a razor. Pretty quick and easy and the surface was very smooth. Stuffed rags in openings and vacuumed around the area like someone mentioned earlier. I did get smaller packs of them at Lowes. I think they may have been Craftsman brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal
Looks like a variation of the ones @sab uses?

I have the Roloc discs in my "arsenal" as well, but don't use them for gasket removal. I went through my learning curve a while ago while building aluminum motorcycle engines. Aluminum gasket surfaces are very easily damaged, and I found the Roloc bristle discs to be the most effective, quick, and effortless without damaging the surface. Of course, steel gasket surfaces are much more forgiving, but since I learned on aluminum, I just stick to the bristle discs.

I just offer my experience as a suggestion. All methods suggested will work.

I‘ve usually used razor blades, but tried those on the water pump and thermostat mounting surfaces the last time I changed them After getting the bulk of it with a razor. Pretty quick and easy and the surface was very smooth. Stuffed rags in openings and vacuumed around the area like someone mentioned earlier. I did get smaller packs of them at Lowes. I think they may have been Craftsman brand.

I forgot to qualify my post as I just used them to remove silicone from my diff and diff cover. The first thing I try are razor blades and when that fails I go to the scotch brite discs

Reactions: MountaineerTom
WD-40 and a razor blade. The WD-40 breaks down the RTV and it comes off easier. I have no idea why.