What's your favorite multi-tool? How do you carry it?

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
Did not see a previous thread on this topic so figured I will start one. @Chris will likely move this thread from from Off-topic to another area in his never ending quest to classify and store information in the right forum area :ROFLMAO:

Pretty simple questions - What is your favorite multitool and why is it your favorite? Do you everyday carry one? If so, how?

I have two - a Leatherman Micra and a Leatherman Rebar. The Micra is on my person unless I travel on an airplane, and the Rebar lives in my backpack. I carry the Micra on my beltloop hanging from a carabiner and tucked into my back pocket. I usually take the Rebar when I go hiking/camping as well. The Micra is a really nice size.

PXL_20210123_062950667.jpg

I have had both for years and they have come in handy many many times. I used to have one of those ubiquitous small red victorinox keychain thingy that I lost to the damn TSA in my early grad school days in Florida. I bought a Micra when I got back from my trip and have had it since then. I don't generally carry a knife or anything. I see the micra as more of a personal grooming tool than a multitool. I like the old-school looks and how compact it is (50 grams!). When I moved to Oregon, I really got into outdoor camping and wanted to carry a bigger multitool on my outings. My choices came down to Wave vs Rebar. I don't need one handed opening or anything, and preferred the more compact size and classic shape of the Rebar, so just got it. Very happy with both of these.

Multitools have generally gotten crazy today, we have so many options from so many brands. Even from just Leatherman, there are so many damn models and the array of shapes, sizes and features is just nuts!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
Nope, you posted it in the right place. But I'm debating whether multi-tool has a hyphen or not :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: psrivats
I have a Gerber, about 20 years old. It sits in the door though, I don’t carry it on me.

Reactions: WSS
I carry the Leatherman Wave - in Jeep console. On my person, I carry the Swiss Army Cybertool Lite. Cybertool

Why the cybertool choice for personal carry? The scissors on these victorinox are pretty good, even the tiny one I had. Does the blade retain a good edge?

Nope, you posted it in the right place. But I'm debating whether multi-tool has a hyphen or not :LOL:

Are you going to setup an autocorrect on the forum to insert that hypen every time someone types it as "Multitool"? 🤣🤣

Also, do you have one of these? Knowing you, you probably have tried them all hahaha!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Looks like a good one and good price, pretty competitive to Leatherman. Carbide bits too! As I said, many companies make very good tools today. I stuck with Leatherman because I liked the Micra .. and the fact that they were based in Portland, OR.

I know couple guys that collect these things and I was amazed when I heard that was a "thing". I guess no different than watches, knives and such. Also, not everyone has a hungry Jeep to feed :LOL:

Reactions: Rick Flair
Looks like a good one and good price, pretty competitive to Leatherman. Carbide bits too! As I said, many companies make very good tools today. I stuck with Leatherman because I liked the Micra .. and the fact that they were based in Portland, OR.

I know couple guys that collect these things and I was amazed when I heard that was a "thing". I guess no different than watches, knives and such. Also, not everyone has a hungry Jeep to feed :LOL:

Yeah it’s been used for 20 years and has been really handy. Never thought about buying more but they are handy for sure.

Why the cybertool choice for personal carry? The scissors on these victorinox are pretty good, even the tiny one I had. Does the blade retain a good edge?
I like the Cybertool because of the driver bits (phillips I use a LOT), the flashlight, the ink-pen, the scissors, and the pliers are pretty good, too. I use the scissors and blades for cutting and striping wires frequently. Blade retains a great edge, this one is probably 10 years old and I sharpen it every 6 months or so. I also like the precision screwdriver, I use it on my sunglasses. Have never used the corkscrew.

Reactions: psrivats
answer. . . . the Gerber I found in a hotel room. No clue which model or motivation to look it up. Carrying it would be too convenient access when it need it. Instead I leave it random places. Sometimes I remember where, other times I don't. It's a great way to occupy time and keep my mind sharp. Besides, I think the tool is wanderlust and appreciates the adventure, too.