What's your favorite multi-tool? How do you carry it?

Gerber MP600, or thereabouts. It’s 20 some odd years old, but that’s the closest model match. Sometimes it’s in a belt sheath. Sometimes it’s in the chest pocket of my overalls.

OG Leatherman Wave on my belt every day.

View attachment 220017

Very nice, that sheath looks cool as well. I remember playing with whatever generation Wave it was even I was looking. Does yours have a clip? I liked it but chose the Rebar for the somewhat smaller dimensions and the cheaper price. They have gotten expensive now but still very popular.

Gerber MP600, or thereabouts. It’s 20 some odd years old, but that’s the closest model match. Sometimes it’s in a belt sheath. Sometimes it’s in the chest pocket of my overalls.

Post a photo!

I think once you start carrying a tool like this you kind of feel semi-naked if you forget it on your person, like forgetting your wrist watch (do people even bother days?).

Reactions: Rick Flair
Super Tool 300
shopping.jpeg
Coyote nylon sheath
71pSIKSTVOL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Very nice, that sheath looks cool as well. I remember playing with whatever generation Wave it was even I was looking. Does yours have a clip? I liked it but chose the Rebar for the somewhat smaller dimensions and the cheaper price. They have gotten expensive now but still very popular.
No pocket clip. I have too many other things in my pockets to put a multi-tool. I used to carry a new Wave with the bits and stuff but there is something about the original Wave that I switched. It is lighter, slightly slimmer and has way better scissors. Funny thing is the new free series seems to be trying to bring back the feel of the original Wave but IMO it falls short. The file is one of them, and maybe I am in a minority of users but it is one of my most used tools.

Reactions: psrivats
No pocket clip. I have too many other things in my pockets to put a multi-tool. I used to carry a new Wave with the bits and stuff but there is something about the original Wave that I switched. It is lighter, slightly slimmer and has way better scissors. Funny thing is the new free series seems to be trying to bring back the feel of the original Wave but IMO it falls short. The file is one of them, and maybe I am in a minority of users but it is one of my most used tools.

I just looked up the Free series and watched couple review videos. Interesting design, but holy cow, they are expensive! The shapes are indeed reminiscent of the older style tools but I think they are a little too thick. I'll give credit to Leatherman for trying new designs though some of them are just too much for me.

Reactions: Blackjack
I just looked up the Free series and watched couple review videos. Interesting design, but holy cow, they are expensive! The shapes are indeed reminiscent of the older style tools but I think they are a little too thick. I'll give credit to Leatherman for trying new designs though some of them are just too much for me.
I do like the one handed interface and the use of magnets but the rest just seems a bit big and clunky to me. Maybe some slimmer models are in the works who knows.

I have three. A wave (OG, gotta be 20 years old now) that lives in my fishing tackle box and two others (skeletool?) that haven't proven their usefulness enough to justify their weight. I think one of them in is the console of my truck... or my camping gear. It's full size. The other skeletool is key chain sized. That one could be useful... But it's misplaced right now (on an adventure as @Sea Cot would say)

I get by with my CRKT knife and a flashlight for EDC

Last edited:
Another leatherman user here. Not sure which one. I dont wear it everyday, but I do when I am working in the field, on the trail, or on my motorcycle. The leather case was lost and I was sent a fabric/velco one which I hate.

Leatherman Wave that was engraved & gifted to me when I left a previous job.
It hangs out in the saddlebag of my Harley. I haven't actually used it more than 1-2 times in the past 10+ years. I've had it 20+ years.

Gerber MP600, or thereabouts. It’s 20 some odd years old, but that’s the closest model match.
I've got an old one and a newer one as well. The new ones have locking tools which can be nice. Very useful fishing, you need to deploy with one hand to get hooks out and nothing else really works for me. You can't exactly put the rod down to fold out a tool. it's also more compact than the pliers most people end up using.

Reactions: mushdogs
About 20 years ago, we bought 60 Gerber tools for cheap. They were rebuilt by Gerber from an early recall with the problem fixed. We etched our logo on them and handed them out to customers. They still pop up once in a while. I know I have one in every GHb plus one on my gun belt held in with kydex. They are true work horses.

Reactions: pagrey
have two leatherman tools. no idea which ones. one resides in truck glove box and other is in jeep glove box. one gerber i found one day riding my bicycle. it resides in the windshield bag on the fatboy. no idea what model it is either. all three are of quality construction and have seen lots of use.