What's your opinion

JeepManGood

TJ Enthusiast
Original poster
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok, so I just completed my daughter’s graduation present, a 2002 TJ redone from the ground up. I have a 2006 65th anniversary edition that is all original (except the hardtop addition) with 111,000 miles in perfect condition accept the usual GM paint issues. I have hesitated to do any customization or upgrades to it since it is all original, but now it looks like shit next to my daughters. What do you guys think, keep it original or modify it? Either way it is going to get a paint job at the minimum. I threw in a pic of the oldest daughters jeep cause some of you may love butterflies 🦋

IMG_7661.jpeg

IMG_7713.jpeg

IMG_7714.jpeg

Not sure how GM
paint is involved?

Either way, that’s a you question, ha. A lot of the folks took the red pill, or blue pill, not sure which one actually, but went all the way down rbe rabbit hole. So not sure this is the best much to ask.

Frankly, yeah, you should drop $10k and put on 35’s I did, Ha!!

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
It looks fine stock. I've never made it over a month before I lift mine and start the endless mods. They just look so tiny without a lift. ;)
tan jeep no lift (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

zone lift 1 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

khaki jeep3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Claybirdd and L J
You can’t be outdone by your own kid- start with small mods like better headlights, color matched trim rings , smoked out turns and markers and go from there. You’ll know when to quit. Hopefully.

You can’t go wrong if it turns out as good as any of Boog’s.

Not sure how GM
paint is involved?

Either way, that’s a you question, ha. A lot of the folks took the red pill, or blue pill, not sure which one actually, but went all the way down rbe rabbit hole. So not sure this is the best much to ask.

Frankly, yeah, you should drop $10k and put on 35’s I did, Ha!!
I have thought about the 35’s. I have been driving jeeps for 40 years and never did 35’s. Wheats the down side to them?

It looks fine stock. I've never made it over a month before I lift mine and start the endless mods. They just look so tiny without a lift. ;)
View attachment 530291
View attachment 530292
View attachment 530296

That’s a good looking rig! I think I’m partial to soft tops as well. I bought mine with the hard top. Original owner swamped the original soft top with a buddy. I was going to go back to one and then got tied down doing my daughter’s jeep. But I’m sure I will start working on mine soon

Reactions: TheBoogieman
You can’t be outdone by your own kid- start with small mods like better headlights, color matched trim rings , smoked out turns and markers and go from there. You’ll know when to quit. Hopefully.

You can’t go wrong if it turns out as good as any of Boog’s.

I thought I knew when to quit with hers and didn’t even come close. Told my wife I was just going to fix the rusty frame…… 2 1/2 years and thousands of dollars later I finally stopped. Graduation was at 4pm and I stopped at 3pm 😂🤣😂🤣

I have thought about the 35’s. I have been driving jeeps for 40 years and never did 35’s. Wheats the down side to them?

Personally, zero down side for me. I started running 35” BFG’s on my CJ5 in 1990, and have put them in my 05, 08 and my current CJ5, ha.

On these TJ’s is the lack of capability. To do it, right at least, the axle shafts are weak, so need upgrades so they don’t snap. Then you have to lift it 4” and 1” body, and that means SYE, Track Bars, shocks, springs, on and on ha

Do you daily drive it? Do you do trails? I don't know much about the East Coast. Back in the 90's I drove a CJ8 Scrambler daily for approximately 15 years. At the end of that Jeeps life, I was running 35's without changing the gears. You're jeep looks cool now, not sure I'd do much to it unless you were planning on doing more than beach driving.

I thought I knew when to quit with hers and didn’t even come close. Told my wife I was just going to fix the rusty frame…… 2 1/2 years and thousands of dollars later I finally stopped. Graduation was at 4pm and I stopped at 3pm 😂🤣😂🤣

You did a sweet job. Cut it close. Makes you fit right in here.

Personally, zero down side for me. I started running 35” BFG’s on my CJ5 in 1990, and have put them in my 05, 08 and my current CJ5, ha.

On these TJ’s is the lack of capability. To do it, right at least, the axle shafts are weak, so need upgrades so they don’t snap. Then you have to lift it 4” and 1” body, and that means SYE, Track Bars, shocks, springs, on and on ha

No power drop?

Do you daily drive it? Do you do trails? I don't know much about the East Coast. Back in the 90's I drove a CJ8 Scrambler daily for approximately 15 years. At the end of that Jeeps life, I was running 35's without changing the gears. You're jeep looks cool now, not sure I'd do much to it unless you were planning on doing more than beach driving.

Mainly a daily driver, but you never know what you get into sometimes

Reactions: DavidBT
We have an '04 Sport 4.0 on 33 12.5 15's with a 3 1/2" lift. Beyond that, mostly stock and 3.73 gears. It can be a little anemic on highway hills, but off-road, no issues what so ever. If you go larger than 33's, you will need to most likely regear, as well as all the other things mentioned above. $$$

Mainly a daily driver, but you never know what you get into sometimes

Well that's the key to the question. A TJ on 31's and 1-2 inch lift is very capable on forest service / logging roads and is really easy to do. 35's is a commitment to do it right, and not cheap. So, where are you going?

Forest service roads to see this kind of stuff? (Several stock Jeeps in this group)
20240525_125509.jpg

Or going to challenging trails to see what your build can do?
RollerCoaster2.jpg