What's your strangest trail encounter?

Somewhere on Georgia Pass near Breckenridge is a tour group that uses sled dogs pulling golf carts.
20200703_134310.jpg

I forgot in my earlier post to mention the guy on Red Cone that offered me a joint after I winched him off the first rock obstacle. I made a friend in a 4runner who also offered me a joint at the top of the trail. Colorado is a funny place.

Years ago I was out exploring when a guy in a van flagged me down and asked if I could give him a ride back to his house. I agreed. Then he asked if we could fit big pot of gumbo in the back of the Jeep. Sure we can! He carries it out of the van and sets it in back. We drive down the road to his house. And we unload. He offers be a bag a weed. I decline. Then he gives me a plastic cup full of gumbo, which was pretty good!

Years ago I was out exploring when a guy in a van flagged me down and asked if I could give him a ride back to his house. I agreed. Then he asked if we could fit big pot of gumbo in the back of the Jeep. Sure we can! He carries it out of the van and sets it in back. We drive down the road to his house. And we unload. He offers be a bag a weed. I decline. Then he gives me a plastic cup full of gumbo, which was pretty good!

How much weed was in the gumbo?

Here in Illinois we give cash for favors apparently. I pulled a guy in a brand new JL out of the mud at an off-road park around here. He was alone with his Dad. I wouldn't normally accept anything for that, but he offered it to my friend while I spooling the winch back in. My friend accepted it so we got free lunch that day.

Reactions: Blondie70
Happened earlier today. The girlfriend was supposed to give me a spot over a bit of ledge...she did a great job. Shortly after this a person emerged from behind us with spandex pants and a half shirt on. No Jeep behind them and they weren’t dressed for a fall day in New England. It was a weird day.
E12C7837-53F8-4DE0-BADF-ABDB55A42E76.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Happened earlier today. The girlfriend was supposed to give me a spot over a bit of ledge...she did a great job. Shortly after this a person emerged from behind us with spandex pants and a half shirt on. No Jeep behind them and they weren’t dressed for a fall day in New England. It was a weird day.View attachment 190975
Person? Not sure if it was a man or a woman, we do have a few strange commun in Massachusetts?

Not my story, but that reminds me of one I heard from a friend many years ago. Drove in on some trail somewhere in 4WD, apparently fairly intense, blah, blah. When they got "all the way back there", there was a guy in a Buick (Sedan, this was WAAAY before Buick made anything but). He got there because "he just didn't care!". Apparently the guy drove back out too.

Thats how hills get named "cadillac hill" or "buick hill."

Generally find a rusted out buick frame somewhere mid trail...

Reactions: Zorba
In April of 2012, myself and two friends were riding Dual Sport Motorcycles in Death Valley. We rode to what's called the Racetrack, coming in from the west side of the Racetrack and exiting through Teakettle Junction and eventually riding past the Uhebebe Crater. The road is high clearance 4wd recommended with heavy duty tires. As we pulled up to the Racetrack there was a BMW Sedan parked there that obviously had a flat tire, and the guy was in process of changing it out with the spare, one of those small donut spares..... We stopped and decided to have lunch there and one of my friends went over and talked to this guy, he and his girlfriend were driving his Dad's BMW :oops: . He had no idea that this road was so rough and a long ways from the pavement, probably 26 to 28 miles from pavement at this point. We finished lunch and headed out to Teakettle Junction for a few pictures before continuing to the Uhebebe Crater. While at Teakettle Junction, this BMW goes flying by, way too fast for conditions, especially with a donut spare on the passenger front. We kind of laughed and said he'll be lucky to make it out of there. We left Teakettle and about 10 miles later I noticed an oil trail in the rocky road. Sure enough up around a bend in the road there was the BMW off to the side. The guy and his girlfriend were getting a ride from a group of people in Jeeps that had stopped to check on them. A rock had knocked a hole in the oil pan, so the Beemer was down hard at this point. They still had probably 2 hours to get to the closest place (Furnace Creek) to call for a Tow Truck. That was going to be one expensive Tow, plus repairs to the Beemer. I'll bet his Dad was not happy. Never ceases to amaze me what people will do.

For those that ride Dual Sports, we rode 580+ miles in 3 days in Death Valley 🤪

Unless I'm mis-remembering my Death Valley geography (Its been awhile), wouldn't have Scotty's Castle or Stovepipe Wells been closer to Ubehebe crater than Furnace Creek to call for help?

Unless I'm mis-remembering my Death Valley geography (Its been awhile), wouldn't have Scotty's Castle or Stovepipe Wells been closer to Ubehebe crater than Furnace Creek to call for help?
Could be. It was my one and only time there, and being it was 8 years ago or so my memory could be wrong. If I remember correctly Scottys was closed when we stopped there, and Stovepipe was no short trip either. We stayed at Panamint Springs so we had to ride through Stovepipe to get there.

Reactions: Zorba