Whatta y'all do for a living?

Your damned if you do...and damned if you don’t. Sad but true. Lost 3 grand parents to lung cancer 2/3 did chemo the third refused, all ended the same way. Some day we will have a cure, but for now the best thing to do is to stay away from the cancer sticks. We generate cancer cells everyday as it is...no need to light the fire also. It’s a sick terminal illness and it sucks watching loved ones suffer like that.

Funny thing is, the chemo and radiation didn’t get rid of the cancer. He had 6 months to live, but then he got accepted to an experimental immunotherapy trial, and it 100% cured his cancer.

Problem is, even with the cancer gone, the radiation and chemo left him in such shambles that he can’t recover from it.

Reactions: Starrs
The chemo and radiation my dad had for his Stage IV cancer just destroyed him. He will never be the same. Sad, but true.
Sorry to hear that. I know its all very risky stuff no matter what side of it your on, I rarely get to interact with patients receiving my IV's but once in a while I do. It affects everyone differently too, and there are so many medications and combinations of drugs.

I have a grandma with stage 4 cancer right now, who refuses to take meds and smokes everyday still...

Sorry to hear that. I know its all very risky stuff no matter what side of it your on, I rarely get to interact with patients receiving my IV's but once in a while I do. It affects everyone differently too, and there are so many medications and combinations of drugs.

I have a grandma with stage 4 cancer right now, who refuses to take meds and smokes everyday still...

Yep, it's risky indeed.

It sounds like maybe your grandma has come to terms with the fact that she's probably old enough that it may not even be worth pursuing treatment.

My dad may only be 70 now, but watching how bad he is now (even now that he's cancer free) from all the treatments, I feel like he just needs to hurry up and go. I don't mean that in a negative way, I just mean he can't walk anymore, he has to eat through a feeding tube because the radiation destroyed the bone mass in his jaw, etc. He's just in horrible, horrible shape, albeit cancer free.

I mowed yards as a kid (56 now) and saved for my first car and college. After college I worked as a switchman, brakeman, conductor, and engineer for the Burlington Northern. Started a small railroad crossing warning signal business using technology I patented. Sold my business three years ago and now I'm retired. I still enjoy mowing and maintaining my property. Working hard on my own place is very rewarding to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spent a good half an hour reading through this thread, really interesting stuff.
I’m an airline pilot myself, been flying Boeing’s for 19 years and most of it away from home.
Grew up in Denmark and landed a solid job with the equivalent to American Airlines, called Scandinavian Airlines. Got laid off 3 years later and ended up in the UK for 10 years before coming here, the UAE. Working for this huge long haul operator has been a true eye opener. Going literally everywhere and working with people from everywhere.
Always liked to use my hands fixing things and I always loved cars, so naturally I fix cars in my spare time and with 2 Wranglers it is a full time job.

I retired from the Feds after 34 years, built nuclear submarines and managed maintenance at National Parks. I then managed highway maintenance and budget for Maui DOT for a bit. Now I'm retired, sort of, again. My wife and I manage some vacation homes here on Maui. I do some woodwork, LOTS of honeydos and tinker with the TJ. Rims and tires are on the way (shipping here is a bi!?h). Then I'll do the brakes, they are ok but I want them to be new. After that, I want to replace the control arms. Nothing fancy, just fresh.

Reactions: Scott B.
Retired for over five years now, worked in trucking for Southern Pacific RR then they shut us down and now the company does ot exist anymore, now part of UP. Went to WA state and started in security for a local company that was the first outside contractor for Sears we covered 22 states including Hawaii. The company dumped Sears and went stand alone and I went into commercial systems for them. The best thing I got into before retiring was designing systems for the PUD's to protect their may substations from copper thief's. Near Vancouver WA a transient broke into a substation and fried him self after a multi million dollar payout to his family the PUD's decided it was cheaper to secure the sites in a way that a shyster lawyer would have a hard time suing them for a person that broke in and got fried (sad but true). We installed fiber cable on the fences along with other devices to sound alarms and also installed CCTV with Fiber Optic communication back to a central facility so the PUD could see what was going on at their sites. The demand for copper dropped and the break ins stopped but it was a wild time. We did local substations and their mountain top communication sites which gave me an opportunity to get behind a lot of locked gates.
As a retired person we just returned from a 3100 mile trip to Mount Rushmore and the Grand Tetons, yes I do not miss work one bit!!!

Reactions: Squatch
I retired from the Army after 22 years at the ripe old age of 39. I graduated from Purdue University as a history teacher, (no jobs there) but the VA had placed me in the Social Security Administration as an intern. After 9 months as an intern the SSA hired me full time. So there I will stay for another 5 years or so, then I’m retiring for good!

Ultrasound technologist for 19 years, currently lead tech at my workplace. Before that; radiologic technologist, president, CEO and 1/3 owner of EMIHS (private duty home care business), bartender, convenience store manager, house painter/roofer, short order cook, bell boy, lawnmower, dishwasher, even sold Amway for a while way back in the day... oh - and so far not very successful real estate investor. Prob a couple things I am forgetting.

Ultrasound technologist for 19 years, currently lead tech at my workplace. Before that; radiologic technologist, president, CEO and 1/3 owner of EMIHS (private duty home care business), bartender, convenience store manager, house painter/roofer, short order cook, bell boy, lawnmower, dishwasher, even sold Amway for a while way back in the day... oh - and so far not very successful real estate investor. Prob a couple things I am forgetting.

Badass lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commercial real estate for 20 years. Walked away 2 years ago. Have always had an interest in photography (things not people). I'm now a professional real estate photographer and busier, happier, more fulfilled than I've ever been. Truly a 'you make a good living doing that?' job. Stills, video, drone. Some of my stuff has been in mags! Sample:
20180303_182230.jpg

Commercial real estate for 20 years. Walked away 2 years ago. Have always had an interest in photography (things not people). I'm now a professional real estate photographer and busier, happier, more fulfilled than I've ever been. Truly a 'you make a good living doing that?' job. Stills, video, drone. Some of my stuff has been in mags! Sample: View attachment 41749
Nice work mate....and welcome back ;)

Reactions: CRGR