Wheel advice for my 97 TJ

Tray Burge

TJ Addict
I'm about to pull the trigger and order some wheels for my 97 TJ and wanted some feedback from those that have been there, done that.
Keep in mind my Jeep never leaves the pavement and I'll be going with AT's for tires, but looking at 17x9 -8 to -12 offsets to get the wheels out there without using spacers.
Opinions, pitfalls and any feedback would be helpful before I actually order them.
Thanks'
Tray

What size tires are you looking to put on. IMO 17s look a bit large on anything less than 35s.

If you really want 17s I wouldn't at least entertain JK take offs. You will need spacers (I know you want to avoid) @tomtaylz installed some on his jeep and they look really good.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Also keep in mind that offset is irrelevant in the Jeep world. It's all about backspacing. Not that the two can't be converted, I'm just saying ;)

I will add though that having owned 15s, 16s, and 17s, the only way I'll run 17s is if it's with a 35" tire, otherwise they look too big.

If I want to run 33s, 15" tires would be the way to go IMHO.

I'm not a big fan of the big balloon tire look since this is a street vehicle only, I want a little more meat than wheel if that makes sense, I'll see if I can't find a picture for a better image of ratio I'm looking for. I have stock height and was considering 31"-32", 33" may be too big even though it never leaves the pavement.

Actually, I'm finding a ton of them on Extreme Customs Tire and Wheels based on my vehicle.

Shoot for 3.75" - 4.00" back spacing then. Minimum tire size I'd go with on a 17" wheel would be a 32". KO2 is a good all around tire with an aggressive looking side wall. Your gearing will suffer a little, but if you can live with that, go for it.

Reactions: Tray Burge
I realize these are probably 33-35", but this is the type of ratio I'd like to keep in tire to wheel with
an AT tire.
wrangler_trophy_M.jpg

Personally, I think it looks out of place to have a huge rim on Jeeps. It’s a lot like putting off-road tires on a Ferrari.

Personally, I think it looks out of place to have a huge rim on Jeeps. It’s a lot like putting off-road tires on a Ferrari.
Thanks', but not interested in opinions though, only asked for feedback on pitfalls from people that have already done wheels and tires and valid things to be aware of. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and generally they stink, but thanks' for responding anyways.

What width tire are you going with. Here is mine next to @tomtaylz a while back. The one on the left has 33x10.5 and the one on the right has 33x12.5. Both are on 15x8 x with 3.75 backspacing. I know its not the rim size you're after but if you like the look I'm sure you can find the equivalent. Mine barely came out from the fender and Toms was covered once he added Rubicon flares.

For what is worth I really liked the 33x10,5 as a highway cruising tire. Mine (left) has MT/R and Toms had Cooper STT pro

What width tire are you going with. Here is mine next to @tomtaylz a while back. The one on the left has 33x10.5 and the one on the right has 33x12.5. Both are on 15x8 x with 3.75 backspacing. I know its not the rim size you're after but if you like the look I'm sure you can find the equivalent. Mine barely came out from the fender and Toms was covered once he added Rubicon flares.

For what is worth I really liked the 33x10,5 as a highway cruising tire. Mine (left) has MT/R and Toms had Cooper STT pro
View attachment 104739
Most probably the 33x12.5 AT's because it's usually cheaper than a 10.5 and I like the wider tire anyways. Good looking Jeeps by the way thanks for the response too.