Wheel advice for my 97 TJ

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this chart since I got it by typing wheel offset chart into google but it would appear in order to get the same look you would need much more offset than the options you listed.

I'm thinking about staying with a 0-+/- 1 offset, min backspacing 5, 18x9 on 33"x12.5 now to keep from having too much depth and keeping the face set back at least half the width of the rim? Thoughts, feedback?

Last edited:
With the equivalent of 5 inches of backspacing you're going to need to add a 1-1.25" spacer. Ideally with a 12.5" tire you want it between 3.75 and 4". But, needing a spacer could allow you to get 5x5 bolt pattern (JK) possibly making your wheels easier to buy off craigslist or at least open up a bunch more options.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/offset-for-toyo-33x12-50-tires.14333/

Last edited:
Reactions: Tray Burge
It’s all about the math… here is how I did this. I hope you can follow. I wanted to keep proper backspacing AND understand where the tire fits in relation to the fender flares.

First, stock wheel info is here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock-tj-specifications-452871/#post4121478

I have the Grizzly
15x7
5 x 4.5” bolt pattern
Backspacing 5.5”
Offset = + 38mm

I also had P225 / 75R15 tires.
Width = (225mm to inches =) 8.8”

Then I draw a picture:

"A" is the distance I need to understand. This is essentially the back spacing, plus the distance the tire protrudes from the rim.

A = + 38mm (offset) + Half the width of the tire (4.4”)
A = 1.5” (+38mm) + 4.4” = 5.9”
A= 5.9”

So, I wanted to upgrade to 31 x 10.5” tires. Value A should not exceed 5.9”.

10.5” (tire width) / 2 = 5.25”

New tire is 5.25 subtract that from old tire 4.4 = 0.85” difference

To maintain A, then I need to shift the offset -0.85” or -21mm

My old offset is +38mm subtract the shift of -21mm means I need a tire with a +17mm Offset. To maintain the "A" distance.

The OTHER factor, is your fender flares. The more I push the tire away from the jeep, the more it sticks out past the fender flares.

If my old jeep wheels / tires were flush with the fender flares, then I increased my tire width (half of it) by 0.85” AND I changed the offset by 0.85” for a total of 1.7”.

So now, my wheels stick out past the fender flare by 1.7”

So, where did I end up at? Based on availability and price, I purchased a 15 x 8” wheel with a -12.7mm Offset

So my new A dimension is 5.25” + (-12.7mm) = 4.75” So my new A = 4.75”, which is less than 5.9”, so I know I have plenty of inside clearance.

But it also, shifted my tires out further past the fender flares. I increased my tire width (half of it) by 0.85” AND I changed the offset from +38 to -12.7 = 50.7mm (~2 inches) 0.85” + 2” = 2.85”

So my new tires stick out past my fender flares about 2.85”

I'm thinking about staying with a 0-+/- 1 offset, min backspacing 5, 18x9 on 33"x12.5 now to keep from having too much depth and keeping the face set back at least half the width of the rim? Thoughts, feedback?

You want 17x9 wheels. In your first post you wanted -8 to -14 offset but your last post changed to 0-+/- 1 offset with a minumum of 5" backspace. Changing your mind is completely OK and understandable but you're not going to keep any minimum backspace when going more negative with the offset.

You want 17x9 wheels. In your first post you wanted -8 to -14 offset but your last post changed to 0-+/- 1 offset with a minumum of 5" backspace. Changing your mind is completely OK and understandable but you're not going to keep any minimum backspace when going more negative with the offset.
That's because I'm not sure what I need to go with?
I know I'd like to go with an 18" wheel and keep the depth "around" the middle of the wheel. I'd like to avoid spacers by taking up the difference in offset if possible, nothing against them, just more to buy than needed.
I know I'd like to go with a 32" or maybe 33"x12" AT tire.
Other than that, I'm not sure what else to go with?
That's why I'm running it through you guys first before buying.
Thanks for responding!

Reactions: Alex01