Wheel alignment and creaking when turning

thisismyusername

Hello all,

I always find the advice this forum gives really helpful. I recently got to the business of replacing my ball joints as they were squealing very badly and audibly. I decided I'd go ahead and replace the steering linkage components, tie rods, and steering damper while I had the axles out. I did that, got everything assembled, greased the zerks, changed the differential fluid (also did the rear fluid while I was at it), and perhaps predictably my steering alignment is off. I thought I took very exact measurements and counted the revolutions when I did the tie rod ends but clearly I made a mistake somewhere. There's a lot of play in the steering generally, but driving straight at ~30 mph my steering wheel is clocked maybe 15 to 20 degrees off center. Additionally, I noticed that 1.) my new driver side tie rod end rubber boot has a small cut in it and leaks grease (I discovered this only after assembling and greasing) and more concerning 2.) When driving, if I turn very hard in either direction, there's a very audible creaking noise which sounds like it emanates from the drivers side. It seemed to get less frequent/intense the more I drove around the neighborhood, but if I made a very aggressive turn, it would complain. My questions are as follows:

1.) What could this creaking sound be?

2.) Do I need to buy another new tie rod end, or is there some other repair on the boot I can perform? Perhaps I can buy and install just a new rubber boot?

3.) If I go get my tires aligned at a shop, how much can I expect to pay for them to perform an alignment? I've never actually done it myself and while I'd like to, I'd also like to be done correctly.

Thanks!

How did you set the toe? I used two pieces of angle iron strapped to the outside of each tire and set the toe in so the distance between the angle iron s was 1/16” less in the front of the tires than the same measurement at the back of the front tires. To center the steering wheel you need to adjust the sleeve on the drag link. It helps to have a helper to tell you when the steering wheel is centered. Make sure the bolts fit the two adjusting sleeves are facing toward the front and not making contact with any of the steering components.

1.) What could this creaking sound be?
The creaking sound could be darn near anything, but likely culprits are steering and suspension components. You can either swap out components to see what fixes it or do some more diagnosis to see if you can find it. I just went through the same thing: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/clicking-popping-from-front-axle-during-sharp-turns.32327/

More importantly, though ...
perhaps predictably my steering alignment is off ... driving straight at ~30 mph my steering wheel is clocked maybe 15 to 20 degrees off center
Fix this first.

Doing the alignment right is much simpler than all the work you just did. If you haven't seen it, here's how to do it: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

Edit: Just thinking about what you said and if the steering components are worn you might not be able to get a good alignment anyway. You could either check the TREs and drag link first or while you're doing the alignment.

Last edited:
It is possible the alignment is pulling different directions is causing the noise.
First get your toe in setting. Jack and remove both front tires. Using a large strait edge (length of angle iron, 3ft level, you get the picture.) But NOT wood or anything that can flex. Somehow strap across the brake rotors and level to the ground. Mark the center of the strait edge, and out to what ever tire size you are running. So if you run 32" tires there would be a center mark (centered on the rotor) and a mark forward 16" and one back 16". Be certain the rotors are facing straight forward. Then measure the distance between the rear marks (1 on each rotor) and the front set of marks. Adjust the tie rod until the difference is about 1/8" shorter in the front. Now you have your toe in roughed in.
Again, maintaining the rotors are straight forward put the passenger side tire back on and remove the jack on that side so the tire is on the ground. Now (key in acc) adjust the drag link until the steering wheel is now moved to the 12:00 position. Put the driver side tire on and remove all Jack's. Be sure everything is tightened up.
Now go for a short test drive. If the steering wheel is not centered perfectly, adjust the drag link again. Repeat until the steering wheel is centered perfectly.
Now jack and remove both front tires again. Set up your toe adjustment device and making sure the rotors are straight forward, check your toe in setting. Adjust if necessary.
Now every Jeep seems to have it's own 'ideal' toe in setting. Normally between 1/16" to 1/8". Make small (1/4 turn) adjustments till you find your sweet spot. You don't need to jack it up anymore. Just slide under the bumper and adjust the tie rod a bit and retighten. Keep a record of your adjustments. How much foward turn, how much backwards turn. If you screw it up you can start with the tires off again. It takes about as long to type this as it takes to do it.
Good luck. We're always here for you.👍

Very good advice from Goatman above. I just did this last weekend. I did the ZJ conversion and thought I was meticulous in keeping things the same throughout the process. When I was ready to adjust toe-in, it "visually" appeared my drivers side was pointing way out and passenger side was straight. It had me making all kinds of tweaks and adjustments of both the drag-link and the tie rod. Luckily it was late and I went to bed which gave me time to think about it.
Next morning I clamped a piece of 1/2" square stock to both rotors, got two "tape measures" and adjusted tie rod until they were square to each other, then added 1/8" to the rear with about a quarter twist of the tie rod. After road test I was able to straighten the steering wheel up with drag-link adjustment and re-check toe in.

One thing that I did, was look up the actual size of my tires on line. I have Cooper 32's and the actual size is 31.5". I probably over thought it, but I figure if we're trying to adjust to something as small as 1/16" to 1/8" it might make a difference.

Also on your ripped boot. Most will probably say to replace. You can buy generic boots at the parts store, or just order a tie rod end. If you plan on hitting the mud and wheeling it hard I wouldn't wait.

Good luck, and hope you're staying save here in the PNW.

If I go get my tires aligned at a shop, how much can I expect to pay for them to perform an alignment? I've never actually done it myself and while I'd like to, I'd also like to be done correctly.

Aligning your Jeep is one of the simplest things you can do, hands down.

See this thread: How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I didn't know how easy it would be the first time, but after doing it, I can tell you I would never in a million years pay someone to align my TJ, it really is that easy.

Of course if you want to pay someone, that's okay, I'm just saying that once you align it the first time, you'll feel like it's a total waste of money to pay someone.

Aligning your Jeep is one of the simplest things you can do, hands down.

See this thread: How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I didn't know how easy it would be the first time, but after doing it, I can tell you I would never in a million years pay someone to align my TJ, it really is that easy.

Of course if you want to pay someone, that's okay, I'm just saying that once you align it the first time, you'll feel like it's a total waste of money to pay someone.

Just wanted to post an update (albeit late), that it really was pretty easy. I had a buddy help me out. I'm not sure it's perfect, but were meticulous and it seems pretty good! Also, I just ended up buying another tie rod end and throwing it on there. Thanks!

Just wanted to post an update (albeit late), that it really was pretty easy. I had a buddy help me out. I'm not sure it's perfect, but were meticulous and it seems pretty good! Also, I just ended up buying another tie rod end and throwing it on there. Thanks!

I agree, this is a very easy thing to do, which really makes you think twice about ever paying an alignment shop to align your Jeep!