Wheel and tire weight

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I am getting ready to replace the wheels and tires on my TJ soon.
Because I have a 2.5L I need to be weight conscious at least in considering all factors, yada yada.
I am having trouble finding tire weights mainly on various tire sites.
I'm going to stick with pro comp series 31 wheels because they are alloys and alloys weigh less than steel wheels.

Is there some way to find out tire weights say on a 10.5 v. 12.5 for example,
Or the weight of a 31 v. 32 inch tire. ?

Reactions: JMT
This would come down to the individual tire manufacturer. is there a certain tire you are looking at? TireRack.com does an ok job of posting up tire weights based on specs./.

Reactions: mots
Also consider the tires composition. Softer tires produce more resistance. I went from set of Cooper AT's to Duratracs and noticed a difference on the highway.

Gotcha @JeepZilla380 thanks will check tirerack.
No that's next, picking a tire for my DD TJ, i know i should stick with 10.5 but the 12.5 really look nice
IIRC, 31x10.5's are usually around 45-49lbs, 33x12.5's are usually around 57-62lbs. You can guesstimate the rest from there, but I've found the weights on certain tire sites. I agree to go with an alloy wheel over steel, for more than just weight purposes. Looking forward to seeing this. Nothing changes the look of a TJ more than wheels and tires! For performance issues, I wouldn't worry about weight as much as tire circumference, its the rolling circumference that affects how well-geared you are. If you stay with a 31 you won't have any detectable affect on your performance, it declines as you move to 32, 33, et al...

Reactions: JeepZilla380
IIRC, 31x10.5's are usually around 45-49lbs, 33x12.5's are usually around 57-62lbs. You can guesstimate the rest from there, but I've found the weights on certain tire sites. I agree to go with an alloy wheel over steel, for more than just weight purposes. Looking forward to seeing this. Nothing changes the look of a TJ more than wheels and tires! For performance issues, I wouldn't worry about weight as much as tire circumference, its the rolling circumference that affects how well-geared you are. If you stay with a 31 you won't have any detectable affect on your performance, it declines as you move to 32, 33, et al...
@JMT that's really what I needed to know, generally speaking.
That gives me enough info to move forward on this at a quicker pace, thank you :)
Really leaning hard toward the 12.5s now , I love the stance it gives the tj

Also consider the tires composition. Softer tires produce more resistance. I went from set of Cooper AT's to Duratracs and noticed a difference on the highway.
I think I'll be staying with a C range tire and a radial since I drive this TJ most every day. I
Like the Duratracs but they don't come in 12.5

I am getting ready to replace the wheels and tires on my TJ soon.
Because I have a 2.5L I need to be weight conscious at least in considering all factors, yada yada.
I am having trouble finding tire weights mainly on various tire sites.
I'm going to stick with pro comp series 31 wheels because they are alloys and alloys weigh less than steel wheels.

Is there some way to find out tire weights say on a 10.5 v. 12.5 for example,
Or the weight of a 31 v. 32 inch tire. ?

You can find tire weights by size for any brand of tire on Tire Rack's web site, or from the manufacturer (probably not easy for some). Once you find ones you like, I'd cross check to see if they both agree if it means a lot to you. It is interesting how much more some tires weigh that are supposed to be the same size (diameter is the big difference as was already pointed out).

Sorry, i missed @JeepZilla380 pointing out the TR site already! Great resource, but always cross ref with the tire manufacturer directly in case they made a mistake.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Looks like going from 10.5s to 12.5s would increase an average of about 10 lbs per tire so 5 tires, I keep my spare on at all times.
I roll with no rear bench seat which prolly weighs 50 lbs or so maybe... so I balance out there.. :)

Reactions: JMT
You can find tire weights by size for any brand of tire on Tire Rack's web site, or from the manufacturer (probably not easy for some). Once you find ones you like, I'd cross check to see if they both agree if it means a lot to you. It is interesting how much more some tires weigh that are supposed to be the same size (diameter is the big difference as was already pointed out).

Sorry, i missed @JeepZilla380 pointing out the TR site already! Great resource, but always cross ref with the tire manufacturer directly in case they made a mistake.
Thanks @mots that confirms jeepzilla info.
On TireRack

Reactions: mots