Should I replace all of the wheel studs with longer ones before adding spacers?

SgtMajor138

Long-time Jeeper
Supporting Member
After putting on a set of 5 spoke Jeep wheels with 32x11.5x15 BFG KO tires, my front tires rub when turning (DUH!). I also added a 2" coil spacer lift which obviously did not help that issue, but did help the looks. :)

In an attempt to fix the problem, I just purchased these 1.5" spacers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R7TBMPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20
When I added the spacer to one of the rear wheels, I noticed that the lug nut would only go on the spacer about 5 or 6 threads. It is the same for all of the spacers. The studs on the spacers are about a half inch longer than the wheel studs - 1" vs 1.5". I only noticed this due to the spacers having open end lug nuts. After further review, my current lug nuts are actually only on about 5 or 6 threads.

Should I replace all of the studs on the Jeep with longer ones before adding the spacers? This Jeep will not be doing a lot of off roading but I would hate to lose a wheel at 60MPH.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Should I replace all of the studs on the Jeep with longer ones before adding the spacers? This Jeep will not be doing a lot of off roading but I would hate to lose a wheel at 60MPH.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I don't know if you can run acorn lugs on spacers, the nuts that hold the spacer to the Jeep. I'd get the correct length studs. Just measure so you can match the front stud length. I had to get new rear studs, it isn't too difficult after you get the axles out. Mine were Dorman 610-449 1/2-20 Serrated Wheel Stud - .627 In. Knurl, 1-15/16 In. Length but you might need something different depending on what you have now.

Nothing wrong with extended if you can find the correct ones, I'd just do it the other way, cheaper too.

Last edited:
IMG_20190830_121325947_HDR.jpg

I just got mine back from the shop today, 2" coil spacers front, 3/4" back (level), new shocks and bumpstops, and 1.25" wheel spacers. These are 31/10.5/15 and rubbed the sway bar on full turns. That is now gone and the plan is to put 32 or 33 11.50s on when these BFG die. Kept orig sway bar links. Rides great other than a little stiffer (expected) but I plan to have more fun in the deep sand of OBX! I'd be interested to know if 1.25" wheel spacers take that rub out on yours with 32s.

So I found the open end extended studs on Amazon similar to what Jerry referenced http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/wheel-accessories/lug-nuts/e-t-conical-seat-open-end/.

They worked great!! The Jeep looks much better (to me anyway) and I still have the short turning radius I love.
I tried to link to the actual ones I bought but they are showing out of stock on Amazon now and I see absolutely nothing similar listed. Very odd.

Thanks for all the responses.