Wheel studs

UPJOHN

TJ Enthusiast
When I installed my wheel spacers l noticed that my rear studs are shorter than the front studs. I have the Dana 44 with stock aluminum rims. The studs don't come all the way through the spacer lug nuts

My wheel studs are the same length, front and rear.

The wheel studs are attached (or screwed into) the rear axle shafts. There's a chance that someone at some point could have either replaced your axle shafts or the stud bolts.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure about this because I have a Rubicon which comes factory with rear disc brakes. I wonder if having rear drum brakes has anything to do with it.

When I installed my wheel spacers l noticed that my rear studs are shorter than the front studs. I have the Dana 44 with stock aluminum rims. The studs don't come all the way through the spacer lug nuts
You need to swap the wheel studs with the versions that started in 03 and are thicker due to full cast rotors being stock on Rubicons and optional on anything else with a Dana 44 rear axle.

Reactions: Chris
So are you saying if I knock my studs out I can replace them with studs from an '03-'06 Rubicon?
I was surprised they even seem short for my gambler rims and I think they came stock with my TJ.
I am running the spacers, and they did torque down tight. I would just feel better if the studs came through the nuts even by a few threads.

So are you saying if I knock my studs out I can replace them with studs from an '03-'06 Rubicon?
I was surprised they even seem short for my gambler rims and I think they came stock with my TJ.
I am running the spacers, and they did torque down tight. I would just feel better if the studs came through the nuts even by a few threads.
Yep, exactly what I'm saying. Did you do a rear disc brake swap at some point or still running drums?

X2. Knock your studs out and put the correct ones in, then you'll be good to go. make sure to use some Loctite on the studs when you put them back in.

Yep, exactly what I'm saying. Did you do a rear disc brake swap at some point or still running drums?

I'm still running drums. Everything is as it came from the factory in '97.
I hate to knock out my studs, and find out the parts store doesn't have the ones I need. My TJ is my DD.

The knurl on mine is .618. the stud is about 1 1/2" long. I've put ovet 100 miles since install and they are still tight.
I ordered the 1 15/16" long versions and they should be here in a day or so. Send me and address and I'll get them out to you. If they were like the boost gauge I ordered on Amazon, they will be here in the morning.

I ordered a boost gauge at 10pm last night. It was waiting for me when I went outside at 8am this morning.

Hey, guys, I know this is an old thread, but I was led here upon finding myself in a similar situation. I am getting ready to order spacers for my '05 Wrangler Sport. I upgraded at purchase to the Dana 44 rear axle with the Ravine wheel and optional rear disc brakes. Would I be likely to have the shorter or longer rear studs? Y'all's discussion seems to be revolving around the Rubicon, so I may not have an answer here. Just thought it worth a try.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hey, guys, I know this is an old thread, but I was led here upon finding myself in a similar situation. I am getting ready to order spacers for my '05 Wrangler Sport. I upgraded at purchase to the Dana 44 rear axle with the Ravine wheel and optional rear disc brakes. Would I be likely to have the shorter or longer rear studs? Y'all's discussion seems to be revolving around the Rubicon, so I may not have an answer here. Just thought it worth a try.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My Rubicon has the longer versions on the Dana 44, also with rear discs.

Anyone have issues with wheel studs all of a sudden snapping?? I had 4 snap on me when I was taking the lug nuts off, two on each side on the rear.