Wheeling / Hiking / Summitting Dream Trip

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
For a long time my son and I have been talking about a trip where we would pull my little overlanding camper over to Lake City, camp beside Lake San Cristobal, and then in a single day wheel to the top of Engineer Pass, do a 7 hour round-trip hike, summit Wildhorse Peak (elevation 13,266'), and return to camp. We got to do that this past weekend but all the smoke ruined the views. It was heartbreaking; this is some of the most beautiful country in the U.S. And, normally, the American Flats we hiked through has the clearest air in the continental United States.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Horsethief is the trail we hiked to summit Wildhorse Peak.

08.JPG

I've hiked on all of these trails in the past. Such spectacular views normally. The Bridge of Heaven trail goes across the top of the Amphitheatre above Ouray.

09.JPG

That's Wildhorse Peak. This was my third time to summit it. But, before my TJ, it was a three day backpacking trip to do it.

10.JPG

I worried about leaving my open TJ behind for 7 hours (although I locked all my expensive stuff in my buddy's hardtop TJ). But, when we got back, rather than someone doing something ornery, I had been ducked. Pleasant surprise.