Oregon Wheeling in Eastern Oregon?

RustyCage

TJ Enthusiast
For the Oregon and PNW folks - my group is looking to do some wheeling off and around the Hell's Canyon Scenic Byway in and around the Wallowas and Whitman National Forest in Eastern Oregon over the 4th of July weekend. We were originally going to run the Magruder Corridor from Elk City, Idaho to Darby, Montana, but due the late winter the road still isn't open because of lingering snow pack. So we're scrambling for a new itinerary.

Have always wanted to explore the Wallowas. Anybody have any trail knowledge/experience they'd be willing to share? We plan to drive over from Boise, hit the byway and camp along the way, but we're unfamiliar with available Jeep trails in the area. Having trouble pinpointing stuff on Oregon forums. All information appreciated. Thank you.

For the Oregon and PNW folks - my group is looking to do some wheeling off and around the Hell's Canyon Scenic Byway in and around the Wallowas and Whitman National Forest in Eastern Oregon over the 4th of July weekend. We were originally going to run the Magruder Corridor from Elk City, Idaho to Darby, Montana, but due the late winter the road still isn't open because of lingering snow pack. So we're scrambling for a new itinerary.

Have always wanted to explore the Wallowas. Anybody have any trail knowledge/experience they'd be willing to share? We plan to drive over from Boise, hit the byway and camp along the way, but we're unfamiliar with available Jeep trails in the area. Having trouble pinpointing stuff on Oregon forums. All information appreciated. Thank you.
Hey neighbor!

While i'm not familiar with the Jeep trails in that area, I have been to Hell's Canyon and it is pretty amazing there. We've summited a few mountains in the area and have only hit a few FS roads that were down and backs. Not the through driving like what your looking for for a trip.

However, you might like to check out Overland Bound for some off road routes along that stretch or in the areas your considering for travel. I do know that your original trip is pretty badass and I highly recommend it when the snow melts a bit more.

Hey neighbor!

While i'm not familiar with the Jeep trails in that area, I have been to Hell's Canyon and it is pretty amazing there. We've summited a few mountains in the area and have only hit a few FS roads that were down and backs. Not the through driving like what your looking for for a trip.

However, you might like to check out Overland Bound for some off road routes along that stretch or in the areas your considering for travel. I do know that your original trip is pretty badass and I highly recommend it when the snow melts a bit more.

Thanks EJD. Appreciate the tip. Yeah, we're still holding out for some rain and a warm weekend on the Magruder to melt that snow! It'll be a game day decision. We've a lot of time and planning invested. Personally, I've been working on my rig like an obsessed madman for weeks to get ready for this trip. Eastern Oregon is an easy commute for us so that's the backup plan which I think is likely . . .

Reactions: EJD
Thanks EJD. Appreciate the tip. Yeah, we're still holding out for some rain and a warm weekend on the Magruder to melt that snow! It'll be a game day decision. We've a lot of time and planning invested. Personally, I've been working on my rig like an obsessed madman for weeks to get ready for this trip. Eastern Oregon is an easy commute for us so that's the backup plan which I think is likely . . .
Yeah sometimes it does come down to a last minute decision, we've all been there. Though I hope you are able to post up a few pics from the trip no matter which direction your headed. How many in your group btw?