Wheeling in luxury like a true gentleman

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
The wife went out of town for a long weekend away, so the only activity that came to mind when I woke up this morning was to throw the kids and dogs in her 2016 Lexus GX460 and hit some trails. Normally I would have taken the TJ, but the lid and doors are already off and the trails I've been thinking about are up over 7k where there's still a lot of snow, so it may have been a tad chilly for the little ones. Her grocery getter is purported to be an incredibly capable off-roader, so why not?

This thing is a friggin tank. It only weighs a few hundred lbs less than my full-size Silverado and it feels like it. When we got to the bottom of the fire road that takes you up to all the trail heads I put the KDSS switch in 'soft', set the ride hight to 'high', and started jamming up the mountain. It soaked up bumps and washed-out sections like it was it's job. Really, there was little difference between this climb and going down the street to the get the kids from school. Fuel mileage was probably about the same as well.

We got to a trailhead for a route we've done more than a few times in the Jeep, temp was in the high 40's and there were little rivers of snow melt everywhere. Very muddy. A couple of guys loading up some mud-covered quads gave me a rundown of what was accessible so far this season, warning of lots of deep puddles and trails that still have a foot or more of snow.

We headed into the trail and the quad riders were right; nothing but mud and snow melt. The Lexus wasn't losing a bit of traction though, and I elected to roll up the windows and close the sunroof because I just wasn't prepared to splatter mud across my wife's richly-appointed interior. We found a clearing where riders had carved a 300-foot diameter track for getting dirty, so we dove in. I attempted to get the rear end a bit loose and really fling some mud, but the Lexus wasn't having it. It stayed firmly on track and maintained a good turn-in with little to no rear wheel spin. I felt like quite the gentleman 4-wheeler.

The last thing I wanted to try was the downhill assist control. I found a steep grade between two trails, selected 4L, activate DAC and pointed downhill. The Lexus beeped incessantly just to make sure I knew of my gear selection and began to crawl downhill. It maintained around 2200 rpm and 8mph, modulating the brakes automatically to keep a constant speed. We got to the bottom of the hill without a bit of drama. Or excitement. I turned around and crawled back up with the same amount of drama.

After an hour or so we called it and went back to the trailhead. The Lexus was spattered in mud and splashed over from snowmelt. From a technical standpoint this truck was incredibly capable. Compared to the TJ (don't know why you would though) the only drawback was the approach and departure angle. I had to take it REAL slow over certain sections for fear of leaving plastic cladding on the trail, but other than that we were able to take ALL the same routes that we do with the TJ.

Since the windows were up most of the time I think the kids were bored. The thing managed the trail so well it wasn't much different than driving across a bumpy road. They kept a great attitude though, so as a reward I fired up the factory DVD player so they could watch the Lego Movie 2 on the way down the mountain. Since it was starting to warm up a bit I switched my seat from heating to cooling, pulled up a podcast from my phone, and headed back home.

It's good to know that, for whatever reason, my wife would be able to drive up and over a mountain and still maintain her soccer-mom status. I think Lexus put a lot of work into this truck despite the fact that 99.9999% of owners will never leave pavement. Kinda makes me wonder what the point is.

Those things are great for mild off-road stuff like that... until they break (as long as you aren’t the one who has to work on them) 🤣

Still, it’s great to see that thing being used in such a way!

I did something similar to my wifes grand Cherokee overland... it was fun testing all those features you mentioned, with heated and cooling lol.

What a difference.

Reactions: DrDmoney
It’d look great on a set of AT’s 😎

Yeah the only thing that really concerned me was popping the P-rated tires on a sharp rock or root... I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind the compromise in ride quality lol. While I'm at I might as well go full-overlander, dangle a bunch of fuel cans off the side, go full armor

and strap a camp platform to the roof.

Same platform as a 4Runner right? Nice!

Yeah, just with the added AWD and lockable center diff. Also sold overseas as the Land Cruiser Prado.

until they break (as long as you aren’t the one who has to work on them)

In a former career I was a Lexus & Toyota master tech, so I know exactly how expensive they can be. That being said, major failures really are few and far between. Compared to a comparable BMW or Merc these things have the maintenance bills of a scooter. The KDSS (Kinematic Dynamic Suspension System) costs over $500 just to SERVICE, let alone replace whatever let go, but I can count the # of times on one hand that I ever had to break that equipment out.

No wine and cheese break?

We broke for fruit snacks and a delighfully chilled pouch of Capri Sun.

Reactions: PNBLD and ranger101
In a former career I was a Lexus & Toyota master tech, so I know exactly how expensive they can be. That being said, major failures really are few and far between. Compared to a comparable BMW or Merc these things have the maintenance bills of a scooter. The KDSS (Kinematic Dynamic Suspension System) costs over $500 just to SERVICE, let alone replace whatever let go, but I can count the # of times on one hand that I ever had to break that equipment out.

Having owned a number of BMW M cars, I told myself I'll never own one again. The cost of parts and service is absolutely through the roof.

Now imagine being one of those guys who off-roads a high end Range Rover? My god... can you imagine the parts and service bill on those things? It would probably put your Toyota / Lexus to shame in terms of cost of ownership. Of course if you can afford to buy one of those, I'm assuming you can afford to maintain it (otherwise you're in for a real shocker).

Having owned a number of BMW M cars, I told myself I'll never own one again. The cost of parts and service is absolutely through the roof.

Now imagine being one of those guys who off-roads a high end Range Rover? My god... can you imagine the parts and service bill on those things? It would probably put your Toyota / Lexus to shame in terms of cost of ownership. Of course if you can afford to buy one of those, I'm assuming you can afford to maintain it (otherwise you're in for a real shocker).

'99 E36 M3 was the best car I've ever had. God I loved that thing. Had an E46 as well, it was fast but in my opinion the last M3 that wasn't prohibitively expensive to maintain due to gobs and gobs of technology.

I worked for bimmer as well for a period, I can tell you the look of shock I'd see on a regular basis when handing over an estimate for repair or even regular maintenance. Lots of German car owners don't factor in maintenance.

Love those German turds. I couldn’t imagine paying a mechanic for regular maintenance on them though. The typical oil change on my E55 AMG is $300 at a dealer. Cabin filters, air filters, etc. We have an E46 325i also with almost 175k on the clock. It’s one of the best/most reliable little cars I’ve owned. It’s all about keeping a well sorted vehicle to prevent the major issues though

Reactions: qslim
Love those German turds. I couldn’t imagine paying a mechanic for regular maintenance on them though. The typical oil change on my E55 AMG is $300 at a dealer. Cabin filters, air filters, etc. We have an E46 325i also with almost 175k on the clock. It’s one of the best/most reliable little cars I’ve owned. It’s all about keeping a well sorted vehicle to prevent the major issues though

Yeah I had an E46 330 for quite a few years. Didn't give me much of a problem outside of that dumb crankcase pressure vent system.

cool story, my old ml500 was useless off road and the one time i took my wife x3 35i off road it cost me $2000 to replace all 4 run flat tires.

• Haha
Reactions: qslim
'99 E36 M3 was the best car I've ever had. God I loved that thing. Had an E46 as well, it was fast but in my opinion the last M3 that wasn't prohibitively expensive to maintain due to gobs and gobs of technology.

I worked for bimmer as well for a period, I can tell you the look of shock I'd see on a regular basis when handing over an estimate for repair or even regular maintenance. Lots of German car owners don't factor in maintenance.

I had a number of E36 M3s, an E46 M3, and an E39 M5 (which was the most expensive of them all).

The E46 was definitely an upgrade over the E36, but the heaps of technology made it a royal pain in the ass to work on, that's for sure. The E36 M3 was actually still very easy to work on (for the most part) for the DIY mechanic.

Anyways, I'll never own a German car ever again. The Germans are notorious for over-engineering, and it shows with all of the new stuff they build. It's fantastic when it runs, but when it comes time to maintain it, it's a real joke.

The Germans are notorious for over-engineering, and it shows with all of the new stuff they build. It's fantastic when it runs, but when it comes time to maintain it, it's a real joke.

It's a cultural thing; regular maintenance - expense be damned - is something that they simply accept as part of the deal. If you think the cars are expensive, you should see what it takes to keep their cameras running; proportionately, they make the cars look cheap.

It's a cultural thing; regular maintenance - expense be damned - is something that they simply accept as part of the deal. If you think the cars are expensive, you should see what it takes to keep their cameras running; proportionately, they make the cars look cheap.

Cameras? That's one I never would have guessed!

Are they over-engineered to? I remember things on my BMW M5 where I would be taking them apart saying to myself, "Why on earth did they make this so complicated when it could have been so much more simple?".

The answer to that of course is that they're just such damn good engineers that sometimes they feel like just engineering the hell out of something even if it doesn't need it :LOL:

I WILL have my E36 M3 again someday. And I'm sure I'll pay quadruple what I sold my last one for.

I'd like another one as a 99 in Estoril Blue coupe.

The last one I had was a 98 in Hellrot Red with Modena interior.

Cameras? That's one I never would have guessed!

Are they over-engineered to? I remember things on my BMW M5 where I would be taking them apart saying to myself, "Why on earth did they make this so complicated when it could have been so much more simple?".

The answer to that of course is that they're just such damn good engineers that sometimes they feel like just engineering the hell out of something even if it doesn't need it :LOL:

I also have an M3; mine is from 1959, and it was built by Leica in Wetzlar, Germany. The lens on the front of it was built ten years earlier in 1949, and when used together, the combination will make any of the latest and greatest DSLR images look like they were taken with the cheapest digital point-and-shoot technology from 1998. Once or twice a year, I send that camera and lens to a mysterious Chinese man that specializes in repairing them (he used to be the head repair guru for Leica in Asia; now he's "retired") and each time, it costs about $400. In the course of three years, the repair and upkeep costs on the camera exceed the purchase price.

Extrapolate that to the cost of BMW's M3.

The same is true of my other German lenses...some of which easily outstrip the 1949 Leica lens in terms of image quality, tone, and feel. The trade-off for this performance is constant maintenance to keep them at the absolute pinnacle of function, because - once you begin to understand, accept and require that level of performance - anything less is simply unacceptable.

Now... extrapolate that to cars, as well, and you'll understand how and why race teams spend so much money.

Reactions: Chris
I also have an M3; mine is from 1959, and it was built by Leica in Wetzlar, Germany. The lens on the front of it was built ten years earlier in 1949, and when used together, the combination will make any of the latest and greatest DSLR images look like they were taken with the cheapest digital point-and-shoot technology from 1998. Once or twice a year, I send that camera and lens to a mysterious Chinese man that specializes in repairing them (he used to be the head repair guru for Leica in Asia; now he's "retired") and each time, it costs about $400. In the course of three years, the repair and upkeep costs on the camera exceed the purchase price.

Extrapolate that to the cost of BMW's M3.

The same is true of my other German lenses...some of which easily outstrip the 1949 Leica lens in terms of image quality, tone, and feel. The trade-off for this performance is constant maintenance to keep them at the absolute pinnacle of function, because - once you begin to understand, accept and require that level of performance - anything less is simply unacceptable.

Now... extrapolate that to cars, as well, and you'll understand how and why race teams spend so much money.

All I know is that with that insanely nice camera of yours, you'd better be posting some pretty amazing photos for us to see ;)