Wheels and tires recommendations

Sparty

When winter is over I will need to get new tires for my stock ‘02. My winter tires are on the stock 15” chrome wheels that came with it. I would like to mount the new tires on those and get wheels to mount the winter tires next winter. I’m open to getting new wheels for the new tires though and keeping the winters on the old wheels. This Jeep will remain stock for the foreseeable future. It will be a nearly daily driver and will be only taken off road maybe once or twice a year. Any recommendations on wheels/tires? Including different wheel sizes.

BFGoodrich KO2's are awesome all terrain tires. I'm currently running the BFGoodrich KM2's which have been great but they aren't the best for a daily driver. 15's with 30 or 31's should be fine for a stock rig. You will need to check all clearances if you go to a larger tire or wheels with a different backspacing.

Recently installed some KO2's. So far very pleased with their performance. Super quiet compared to my worn out KM2's. Seem smooth on the street and grippy in the rain. Good all around tire.

Reactions: Allstar424
When winter is over I will need to get new tires for my stock ‘02. My winter tires are on the stock 15” chrome wheels that came with it. I would like to mount the new tires on those and get wheels to mount the winter tires next winter. I’m open to getting new wheels for the new tires though and keeping the winters on the old wheels. This Jeep will remain stock for the foreseeable future. It will be a nearly daily driver and will be only taken off road maybe once or twice a year. Any recommendations on wheels/tires? Including different wheel sizes.

Since you say it's a daily driver with very limited off-road use, then I would suggest sticking with an all-season truck tire. Easier to balance and better manners all around. I like the Firestone Destination LE2's for a few reasons. It's rated near the top of the performance list by Consumer Reports, it's not overly expensive, has a good long life rating, and most importantly, comes in numerous load range C sizes for our stock Jeeps. I could have picked 4 difference sizes that would have worked.

https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/destination-le-2/

For wheels, see if you can score some used OE Jeep aluminum wheels 15X7's. That way you could put either of your tires on them.

I've been incredibly happy with my BFG KO2s. My vehicle isn't a DD but I've done my commute (about 60 miles roundtrip, mostly highway) on them and they are no louder than the all seasons I previously had on there. In my mind, they're a great option that gives you a slightly more aggressive look over a typical all terrain (if that's something you care about) and you're not giving up much, if anything, on road. Given the sizes you're looking at, if you shop around I'm sure you can also get them for a good price. Since it looks like you're in Detroit, the KO2s are also a very competent winter tire (they qualify as a true winter tire w/ the 3 Peak Mountain/Snowflake Symbol) so they could very well be your one set for year round.

When making my decision, I narrowed it down to the KO2 and Duratrac which gets a ton of love on here. In the end, I couldn't get the Duractrac in the size I wanted, but even if it was available I probably would have gone KO2 anyway - I have heard as excellent as the Duratracs are they tend to get a bit louder as they wear. Maybe @Chris or anyone else with experience long term with them can comment? I've also heard very good things about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W as well, but at least where I live they are more expensive. Supposedly in winter conditions they rival many dedicated snow tires.

Hopefully that's helpful to you!

Cheers,
Mark

I've been incredibly happy with my BFG KO2s. My vehicle isn't a DD but I've done my commute (about 60 miles roundtrip, mostly highway) on them and they are no louder than the all seasons I previously had on there. In my mind, they're a great option that gives you a slightly more aggressive look over a typical all terrain (if that's something you care about) and you're not giving up much, if anything, on road. Given the sizes you're looking at, if you shop around I'm sure you can also get them for a good price. Since it looks like you're in Detroit, the KO2s are also a very competent winter tire (they qualify as a true winter tire w/ the 3 Peak Mountain/Snowflake Symbol) so they could very well be your one set for year round.

When making my decision, I narrowed it down to the KO2 and Duratrac which gets a ton of love on here. In the end, I couldn't get the Duractrac in the size I wanted, but even if it was available I probably would have gone KO2 anyway - I have heard as excellent as the Duratracs are they tend to get a bit louder as they wear. Maybe @Chris or anyone else with experience long term with them can comment? I've also heard very good things about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W as well, but at least where I live they are more expensive. Supposedly in winter conditions they rival many dedicated snow tires.

Hopefully that's helpful to you!

Cheers,
Mark

Yes, the Duratracs are a bit louder than one would expect. In fact, my BFG KM2 tires (which are Mud Terrains) are quieter than the Duratracs believe it or not!

Still, I absolutely love the Duratracs more than words can say. They are by all means excellent tires!