When is it no longer a TJ?

So I'm curious, now that you've established that the majority of people in this thread would not call it a Wrangler, what are you going to do with this?

I guess I'm in the minority. Wrangler is what it's known by with everyone I talk to, and it has no negative connotations to them. I find Jeep's model naming to be needlessly confusing. CJ...YJ...TJ, with an overlapping XJ? Then it's like they realized chronology matters, but wanted to keep the J's, and tried to start over with JK and JL.

Reactions: Airjunky
So is it unusual for my TJ to have a "TJ" decal instead of an "X" decal? On Google, I could not find a photo of another TJ with the "TJ" decal on it unless I also included the word "canadian" in my search. (But I'm not that techy.)

TJ Decal.jpg

So is it unusual for my TJ to have a "TJ" decal instead of an "X" decal? On Google, I could not find a photo of another TJ with the "TJ" decal on it unless I also included the word "canadian" in my search. (But I'm not that techy.)

View attachment 129273
If it was Canadian the tj would be located above the body joint.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
It was just a guess, based on what All 4 Wheelin' said about the sticker location and how unpredictable previous owners in general can be.
This is where Canadian tj sticker is located.
1111191325_HDR-1.jpg

Other hallmarks that indicate north of the border: DRL's, engine block heater on driver's side on the 4.0. You can find all assortment of wrangler stickers on line. Badge it anyway you want.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
The relative and subjective part is exactly that, relative and subjective.

Where it gets kinda mixed up, and probably varies in different states, is when the body and frame are separated and one or both are reused and back on the road. If I took my "Wrangler" body off and put a Gremlin body in it's place, is it a Wrangler or a Gremlin? Which is cheaper to register? Which is cheaper to insure? Which way is legal in Ohio?
View attachment 129255

Six months later some guy knocks on my front door and says, "Hey dude. I keep driving by your house and I see that pile of Jeep body parts just sitting in front of your garage. Wanna trade for a couple bottles of moonshine?" Well the wife has been complaining about that pile so how could I say no to that offer? A couple more months go by, I get another knock on the door, and what's sitting in my driveway? This:
View attachment 129256

Should that be titled as a Jeep or a Toyota?
That Gremlin is awesome!

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
This is the '05 Canadian Rubicon.. TJ is nowhere.

DSC_0022.jpeg

The X was a model like Sport/Sahara/Rubi.
Jeep did have several model year specific models like the X with special striping or the Rocky Mountain Special with Leatherette upholstery.

I'd bet the Canadian version with the decal above the hoodline was to fit the Sahara decal below. But decals are the easiest things to change and any dealer could throw on decals to attract customers.

But yours Wildryde looks like a factory decal. If you have daytime running lights and your speedo is in kilometers per hour.... yes you have a Canadian TJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
And now back to your regularly scheduled thread: I would say that any vehicle loses it's identity when you can no longer tell what it originally was without studying it, or when less than 50 % of it is original.
For instance, a CJ-7 with a Chevy 350, Ford 9" diffs, and a fiberglass body is still a CJ-7 because you can readily tell what it is.

View attachment 129339

Jeep did have several model year specific models like the X with special striping or the Rocky Mountain Special with Leatherette upholstery.

I'd bet the Canadian version with the decal above the hoodline was to fit the Sahara decal below. But decals are the easiest things to change and any dealer could throw on decals to attract customers.

But yours Wildryde looks like a factory decal. If you have daytime running lights and your speedo is in kilometers per hour.... yes you have a Canadian TJ.
Mine does have daytime running lights (DRLs). The flat panel below the body seam is where "Sport", "X", or "Sahara" badges are located from the research I have pursued. I have only seen Rubicon located where yours is on the hood. Wrangler on American rigs usually is above the body seam. And speedometers can be changed out to mph.

Well when I search the local classifieds, I have to search: tj, lj, Jeep, wrangler, Dana, axle, axel, amc, cj, hard top, hardtop, and the only one I get problems with is wrangler, because I get tires, jk’s jl’s tj’s yj’s because they are all wranglers and some people are too ignorant to know there is differences based on years or jeeps and tires.

Reactions: reddvltj

View attachment 129339

None of the TJ Rubicon’s sold in Canada had a TJ decal, just the same Rubicon hood decals as the US models have.
The 97-02 TJ’s sold up here had the TJ decal just above the body line and the 03-06 had down below the Jeep decal.

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'