When is it no longer a TJ?

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
A guy in my neck of the woods is selling a mud bogger. He says he's put $75,000 into it. It basically looks like a TJ body on stilts.

At what point is a Wrangler no longer be considered a Wrangler, despite having the body?

A jeep wrangler is a go anywhere kind of vehicle, roads are a major part of going places. If it's been so modified that it's now a trailer queen and/or not street legal, it's loosing the original purpose IMO.

Last edited:
This is so relative and subjective.

I suppose in my mind, as long as it has the body and the original frame (even if the frame has been stretched), it's a TJ still in my mind.

Hard to say . To me if it's not instantly recognizable , it's identity is lost.

I hated the term "Wrangler " when it came out .. wranglers were jeans , and not in style either . Levi's were.

You could get a "Levi's" edition CJ.
Then later , you couldn't get a CJ because it became a Wrangler.

So far, I haven't wrangled anything in mine . I'd say more than few beers have been "wrangled up" in these over the years , and a lot of parts, but that's about it.

I call mine a a Jeep or a TJ or a Rubicon, but never a Wrangler . I never really bought in to that new model name . When I see my insurance statement it reminds me it's a "Wrangler".

Reactions: T_Hase89
I call mine a a Jeep or a TJ or a Rubicon, but never a Wrangler . I never really bought in to that new model name . When I see my insurance statement it reminds me it's a "Wrangler".
The name helps when talking to the common folk:
"Oh you have a jeep? What kind?"
"It's a TJ."
"A what?"
"Sorry, it's a wrangler."
"Ohhh, cool."

The name helps when talking to the common folk:
"Oh you have a jeep? What kind?"
"It's a TJ."
"A what?"
"Sorry, it's a wrangler."
"Ohhh, cool."
Very true. The word TJ is an "inside " term . Good post .

My neck of the woods most know what a TJ is and all seem the know what a Rubicon is.

And I also agree, I don’t like the term wrangler and never once have I called them that.

As long as it’s got the ability to recognize it as a TJ, it’ll be a TJ in my eyes.

Reactions: Halfstock

I hated the term "Wrangler " when it came out .. wranglers were jeans , and not in style either . Levi's were.

So far, I haven't wrangled anything in mine . I'd say more than few beers have been "wrangled up" in these over the years , and a lot of parts, but that's about it.

I agree, to me “Wrangler” is a brand of jeans.

Reactions: Wombat
I don't have a Wrangler. I have a Canadian TJ.

1111191325_HDR.jpg

Glad you got the Wrangler and not a Ford Bronco. 😂

This is so relative and subjective.

I suppose in my mind, as long as it has the body and the original frame (even if the frame has been stretched), it's a TJ still in my mind.

The relative and subjective part is exactly that, relative and subjective.

Where it gets kinda mixed up, and probably varies in different states, is when the body and frame are separated and one or both are reused and back on the road. If I took my "Wrangler" body off and put a Gremlin body in it's place, is it a Wrangler or a Gremlin? Which is cheaper to register? Which is cheaper to insure? Which way is legal in Ohio?
2019-12-14.png

Six months later some guy knocks on my front door and says, "Hey dude. I keep driving by your house and I see that pile of Jeep body parts just sitting in front of your garage. Wanna trade for a couple bottles of moonshine?" Well the wife has been complaining about that pile so how could I say no to that offer? A couple more months go by, I get another knock on the door, and what's sitting in my driveway? This:
08_Trailfest_Al_066.jpg

Should that be titled as a Jeep or a Toyota?

Last edited: