When is it time for new shocks?

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
My TJ was a DD when I first got it. I put a lift on it shortly afterwards. It's been running a RE 3.5" lift kit for around 6 or 7 years. I was finally able to replace it with another DD. I've been keeping the miles off of it for just over two years. Now, I mostly wheel it and take it on the street every so often. Last year, I only put 120 miles on it.

That being said, should I consider replacing the shocks soon? I honestly have no idea.

Unbolt the bottom of 1-2 shocks and push-pull on them. Generally speaking, bad shocks are easy to push in and pull out. Good shocks will give significant resistance in both directions. Only hydraulic shocks will stay at the position they were pushed or pulled to. Gas-charged shocks will extend out on their own once you release pressure on them or stop pushing on them.

Last edited:
For an alternative answer not related to wear, when you finally admit to yourself that you originally purchased a shitty set of shocks valved incorrectly for a TJ and realize that you can have a much more comfortable driving experience if you swap them.

:)

Unbolt the bottom of 1-2 shocks and push-pull on them. Generally speaking, bad shocks are easy to push in and pull out. Good shocks will give significant resistance in both directions. Only hydraulic shocks will stay at the position they were pushed or pulled to. Gas-charged shocks will extend out on their own once you release pressure on them or stop pushing on them.
x2
When @tomtaylz and I were replacing his front steering stabilizer I could compress it with my pinky. It ones of those items that you will know when its bad.

Reactions: Matt77 and tomtaylz
Old school: You step-stand in the front bumper, then shake the front end up and down real good using your weight-legs and jump out of it soon as you are in the motion of going up. If the front bounces like a rubber then your shocks are bad.

Reactions: Matt77
I'll admit that I wasn't impressed with the shocks included in RE's lift kit.
The "upgraded" RE Monotube shocks I installed onto my previous TJ turned out to be the worst off-road shock I've ever owned. They rode fine on the highway but they gave very poor offroad control. I'd be on a washboard desert road struggling to maintain control at 5 mph while others in my group were leaving me in the dust at 25-30 mph.

The next shocks I owned were the OME Nitrochargers and Rancho RS5000x shocks which gave exceptional offroad control in addition to a superb highway ride. Both of those shocks allowed me to drive on washboard or bumpy offroad desert trails and either keep up with anyone or leave them in the dust.

Last edited:
Appreciate the recommendations. That was my next question. :D

@Jerry Bransford: the OME shocks are twice the price of the Ranchos. Are they worth double the cost?
First, OME revalved their Nitrochargers so they're now much stiffer than what I had and loved. Between my previous OME Nitrochargers that finally failed and the Rancho RS5000x that replaced them, I honestly could not detect any difference in ride quality or control. To me, they rode literally exactly alike... though I can't claim the most sensitive or calibrated behind in the world. :D

When the do this replace
20180721_135859.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Just might be. I have spent a lot of time fixing things the PO did. But it will get done and i love turning wrenches.
I'm just starting to work on my suspension. I don't know shit lol. There was already a lift on my jeep. I don't know how much the lift is so ordering parts is a night mare bc it's not stock and lifted. Lol I'll be changing the shocks soon, though. I'm not quite sure how the bottom part of the shock comes off. Looks like 2 bolts? Are you familiar with that? Do I have to jack the front up to take them off? Then on to the coil springs and jounce bumper.

No need to jack up the Jeep or remove the wheels to replace shock absorbers For the front shocks, just turn the steering wheel to move the tire out of the way to give ample room to replace them.

Reactions: Matt77
No need to jack up the Jeep or remove the wheels to replace shock absorbers For the front shocks, just turn the steering wheel to move the tire out of the way to give ample room to replace them.
There's 2 bolts on the bottom. Are yours like that? But it's weird bc it looks like the hole on the bottom of the shock sits in the frame?