When Jeepin' goes bad (aka why we have good roll cages)

Mumblewood

TJ Enthusiast
Talkin to a friend of mine about the “good old days” and thought I’d share some of our jeepin gone bad pics. This is why we have all built real cages. Some of the bad pics had crapy roll cages that have since been replaced with “real” ones both of the white jeeps are different rigs and they had crapy cages and the purple one went over twice.

72D0498B-96B0-47BF-AF1C-89CC977C8A17.jpeg

E4D8F113-A91B-4A0B-B133-55F61803A762.jpeg

EFAFA8F9-96AA-42C3-B00A-F35954205CD7.jpeg

D34DA113-E2A8-44DB-B42A-3704C68195ED.jpeg

D42E381C-EBA9-469D-A1A7-44598E5E7114.jpeg

059DC1CE-5F72-4E0C-BFE8-EE7AC9F5F4A2.jpeg

BEE336E7-28A1-4FD8-ACDC-FD178CE3328B.jpeg

BE6E6CC5-C3EE-4921-BD8F-1EA5E4F8058D.jpeg

E3007F95-5407-40E2-A453-F1C08D787714.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Hog and Squatch
Anybody seriously hurt in these?
First white Jeep he got a concussion and like 4 staples in his head
Second white Jeep driver and passenger got concussions and mild cuts and bruises
First purple Jeep broken thumb
Jeep under that was me and my Coke went into my ear so I had to listen to pop pop fizz for an hour haha
Night roll, everyone was fine.
2nd purple Jeep, just had to deal with smelling like gas
Black CJ7 under that, just shook up, first run with a super clean Jeep
Black TJ, everyone was fine
Blue flatfender just some minor cuts and bruises and real shook up, his roll was real bad, end over end twice and side over side twice till a tree stopped him

On that white TJ, in every single one of those photos I can't see how the factory roll bar wouldn't have done just fine.

@Tigerman rolled his down a hill a number of times and his factory roll bar saved him.

Friends of mine rolled the 4800 car pre-running at higher than normal speeds. Multiple barrel roll with a lot of suspension damage and their only concerns and comments were how to get some links made and a housing built 10 days before the race. Cage was fine, they were fine, car was fine. Front axle and rear links not so fine. Actually broke the front housing in half.

None of the above rigs would have had drivers still walking after the same wreck.

The two white jeeps had shitty aftermarket cages that failed, I doubt stock would have been any better, probably worse. The purple 3B had a custom cage that was absolutely fine, just cosmetic windshield damage. I was fine in the silver on dry rocks roll but it was super slow on stock. The night roll was on an aftermarket cage but re stregthend cage. The black TJ aftermarket cage but strengthened so only cosmetic the CJ 7 custom cage only cosmetic and he rolled twice that weekend befor the pic was taken. Blue flatfender, custom but needed a windshield bar

About 25 years ago me and 3 buddies were out wheeling with my best friend in his YJ and rolled 2.5 times down a very steep embankment and came to rest on our top all hanging by our seatbelts. We all came out unscathed just covered in beer. We rolled it back on it's wheels and made our way home. Was definitely a frightening experience but the factory roll bar did it's job.

If ya like factory cages, that’s fine and they probably will do a decent job hopefully, but with my kid in the Jeep with me now I won’t take any chances with the factory bar, or seats or seatbelts.

The first one looks like a poison spider style add on that ties into the dash cowl area. All things considered it did ok. It ripped out of the mounts, but I have a feeling the stock cage would've been much worse, since it only ties into the windshield frame.

Stock cages are certainly better than nothing, but can't hold a candle to a proper cage.

Stock cages are certainly better than nothing, but can't hold a candle to a proper cage.

To cut to the chase, no one here that I've seen has a proper full cage. Many of these partial cages, like the PS example, can cause more bodily damage than what the factory provided.

Reactions: Chris
Is there a vendor that provides a "proper full cage"? Thru the dash, thru the floor and welded to the frame?

A cage certainly isnt next on my list, but it is something that Ive always thought would be nice to have just in case. The few roll overs and tip overs I have seen here in CO have been very slow maneuvers.

Is there a vendor that provides a "proper full cage"? Thru the dash, thru the floor and welded to the frame?

A cage certainly isnt next on my list, but it is something that Ive always thought would be nice to have just in case. The few roll overs and tip overs I have seen here in CO have been very slow maneuvers.
You gonna climb in through the window?