When to change oil?

I'm not sure what you mean by "artificial" oil, but I can tell you that you'll get varying opinions on this matter. Once upon a time the powers that be had everyone brainwashed into thinking that you needed to change your oil every 3000 miles. Truth be told, that couldn't be further than the truth.

I personally change my oil every 6000 miles, though I know people who change their oil every 7000 miles, and sometimes more.

So my personal suggestion is to change it every 6000 miles.

• Haha
Reactions: Tioga river Rat
By chance, do you mean "synthetic" oil? I always use synthetic oil and change it about every 7500 miles, though I've pulled the dipstick and 7500 and found no real reason to change it yet, so went about 9000 one time. Never really focused on a branch either, just found a good deal on synthetic oil and change it out..

Here is my OPINION on the changing oil matter.
For me I put synthetic in both my dd and my tj. (AMSOIL just to clarify)
My dd I will change it every 15k miles. It's rated for 20k under "normal" conditions
My tj will be changed at 7,500 mi.

Exact same oil 2 different uses

My dd is a Ford focus and my jeep is a 50/50 on/off-road vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3500 miles without fail for all of my rigs. Oil is cheap and the most critical variable in your control. I don’t care what anyone says about this issue, I don’t have engine issues so I’m convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kind of oil do you use?

He is using synthetic so 3500 is WAY too early unless it's strictly a trail rig

Way too early? What’s going to happen to an engine with clean oil? I have rebuilt quite a few engines in my life and have seen the results of people who think even today’s great oil can last until it’s black!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on your driving conditions. It won't hurt anything but your wallet to change it every 3000 miles and some people have fatter wallets than others, but it really depends on what you're doing with your Jeep. If it's a DD you could go 7 or 8000 miles before changing oil, if it's strictly an offroad vehicle you may want to go change it every 2 or 3000 miles. So adjust your changes for your use.

I might add that every single answer you get here is going to be nothing more than opinion, that goes for my response as well.

There simply is no right answer here. You can change the oil as often as 3000 miles if you'd like, or you can change it every 7000 miles. In my opinion it's not going to make a difference either way.

I'm just putting that out there because you're going to hear answers that vary greatly from one to another. There is no right answer on this one. Just don't think you can go 20k miles without changing your oil, because that'd be pushing it.

Consider driving conditions too. If you have a race car that you're constantly taking to the track, it makes sense to change your oil after every race. But if you have a Jeep Wrangler with a tractor engine (the 4.0), then you can go a lot, lot longer between oil changes.

Piston driven airplane engines must have oil changes regularly regardless of hours in the air.
This is because with changes in temperature, moisture can form on the inside of the crankcase diluting the oil and introducing possibility of rust/corrosion.
So it's not just miles driven.
This may be a minor aspect but these jeeps love to be driven and they have to be maintained either way - so let's DD our Tjs and show em off cuz that's what the people want :)

Reactions: JMT
I always do a full synthetic change every 4000 miles. Thats how oil changes have been done on my jeep since it was new 17 years ago. Engine is nothing but perfect even with 225k miles on it and it doesn't have the dreaded knock on start problem that high mileage 4.0's can get (even at -20F). Over the course of a few years, I might lose a couple hundred bucks by changing early, but I'd rather know that I have clean oil in the engine at all times. With cold starts 6 months out of the year and constant traffic here in Chicago, I've decided to be as careful as I can. I wouldn't go past 8000 miles without an oil change if you want to get every last bit out of your oil.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Here is my OPINION on the changing oil matter.
For me I put synthetic in both my dd and my tj. (AMSOIL just to clarify)
My dd I will change it every 15k miles. It's rated for 20k under "normal" conditions
My tj will be changed at 7,500 mi.

Exact same oil 2 different uses

My dd is a Ford focus and my jeep is a 50/50 on/off-road vehicle.

These advertisements for synthetic oils that will take you 12500 and 15000 miles are marketing ploys. They just want you to buy their oil because it makes you think it’s better. It’s not. It’s nothing more than marketing. This has all been tested and there’s no advantage. The only situation you would ever need to run synthetic oil is in very cold conditions, and there are reasons for that. So run Dino oil and pick an easy number to remember. 5000 miles is a great number to choose. Rotate your tires then too. Oh, and you can mix oils, just use the same weight, 10W-30

I change my oil (10w30 dino) and rotate my tires every 5,000km (about twice a year).

+1

I live in a harsh climate and change my oil every 6 months with 10/30 Dino Valvoline to be exact! I will rotate my tires once a year or if I remove them for any reason. Synthetic is too expensive for the amount of times I change my oil.

Again as Chris says it is my opinion, but it is a good one. Ha!

10W 30 here and every 5K or so. It's just easier to remember.... I will say that there is a serious debate on the cost benefit of synthetics vs petroleum based. I think the key for either is to change them at proper intervals for your conditions.

Reactions: KCsTJ
It also depends on what type of gaskets you have, if they have been changed, any motor modification because of the composition of the oil some parts and seals can withstand different types of oils