Where can I buy these dash screws?

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
I'm trying to get the bounces and rattles out of my dash and have started taking it apart. It's mostly held together with screws just like this and there are a bunch missing. I've tried the hardware store and some auto parts stores but no one has a screw with this same skinny shaft and coarse thread. I looked on Quadratec and didn't see anything like this. The hex heads take a 1/4" socket (7mm is too large, 6mm is too small).

Dash Screw Shaft.jpg

Dash Screw Head.jpg

Try Lowes/Home Depot they should have plenty in different sizes. Just a sheet metal screw, even a pan head phillips would work if you can get to where it is with screwdriver instead of ratchet. Just a thought.
phillips-truss-head-sheet-metal-screws-18-8-stainless-steel-1-resize-min.jpg

Well, sheet metal screws didn't work either. Number 8s had too fine a thread, number 10s had too thick a shank, and neither of those had the threads cut at the same angle as my screws.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Well, sheet metal screws didn't work either. Number 8s had too fine a thread, number 10s had too thick a shank, and neither of those had the threads cut at the same angle as my screws.
Just for future reference in case you ever are in a pinch and need one now and can't wait for one to be delivered. Sheet metal screws do not have a set thread pitch or whatever per say.

Nut clip with pitched threads.
thumb.jpg

Sheet metal screw nut.
thumb (1).jpg

Top one can be cross threaded and require specific bolt , bottom one will conform/bend to screw/bolt threads being inserted into it within reason. The springiness in the clip is what to hold screw/bolt tight that's why if you try to crank down on them they will just spin. Snug them down and let them ride.

And fwiw you can run a simple drywall screw or a metal tapper into those clips and they will hold just fine. Maybe not ideal but do work. Anyways just in case anyone else needs one, and probably have one in kitchen junk drawer that will get the job done.

Reactions: WLDRIDE
Dorman small parts section, o 'reillys

Reactions: WLDRIDE