Where can I find a stock air box?

jrivers

Supporting Member
Can anyone recommend a place to find a stock air cleaner assembly or other OEM type parts?

I just got an 05 TJ with the 4.0 and I'm not too crazy about its cold air intake system. I'm pretty skeptical about any performance claims regarding these systems and I would really just prefer to be able to drop in a new paper filter every 5-10k miles rather than mess around with cleaning the "permanent" filter element.

I've already spent a decent amount of time looking around online and calling up junkyards, but no luck so far. I'm thinking that I'll probably just need to stock up on filter cleaner/oil... Or just use this as an excuse to get a supercharger :)

Ebay,
Or Chris has a name (I just cannot recall it right now, I'm old).
I could give you the name of semi-local (to me) guy but, ebay is just as good then.

^ True (Daveys)...

Unless its a Jeep junkyard, jeeps in a junkyard are rarer than hen's teeth. The only thing they are good for is for parts tat will cross over to the jeep.

Looks like I need to re-evaluate my searching skills, I just found one on ebay.
But hey thanks for the tip on daveysjeeps I hadn't come across that place yet... This is my first Jeep.

Local scrap yard. Or join a local Jeep group, there are usually members that are selling parts or able to help find what you need.

What kind of CAI is on there now?

Some kind of Airiad system, and I guess that I shouldn't even call it a CAI because it doesn't have any dams to shield the intake from any sort of engine heat... I guess it's really just less restrictive? Anyway, there are multiple reasons that I don't like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: astjp2
Some kind of Airiad system, and I guess that I shouldn't even call it a CAI because it doesn't have any dams to shield the intake from any sort of engine heat... I guess it's really just less restrictive? Anyway, there are multiple reasons that I don't like it.

View attachment 83090
Thanks. That looks like they just took the stock filter box out and slapped that extra bit of tube and filter on it.

I was wondering because I may end needing to go with a cowl intake and was wondering about what plumbing you may have left afterwards.

Thanks. That looks like they just took the stock filter box out and slapped that extra bit of tube and filter on it.

Exactly & threw a mini version of the filter on the fore crankcase vent tube.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. I've now built up quite a list of places for me to check out when I'm looking for some other oddball part.