Where did you get your stroker engine from?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
For those of you who bought (not built) stroker engines, who did you get it from, how long have you had it, how many miles are on it, what did you pay, and have you had any issues?

Golen is the first name that comes to mind, but they seem very expensive all things considered.

Yes, I'm thinking I'm going to do a stroker sooner rather than later. Golen wants $6500 which seems awfully steep to me. A fully remanufactured 4.0 can be had for somewhere around $2000 I believe.

The 4.0 puts down around 150 RWHP, and I'd like to get it to around 250 RWHP, which I feel is realistic with a stroker and higher compression.

Got the parts from Russ Pottenger, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines. Phone: (626) 967-1000 and had the local machine shop do the work. Removed and installed myself. He ported and polished the head with larger valves via shipping. Little over $3.5k but haven't driven too many miles but running great.

3.5k seems much more reasonable than Golen asking $6500.

Reactions: mrjp
This thread is going to be good, I have looked at the golen 4.6 stroker, Seems like a nice motor. But I agree a little on the steep side.

3.5k is much closer to where I was when I did this research. In the end I convinced myself that extreme top end noise is normal and I live with it and my engine is still running strong. 👍

What is all the top end noise from?

I'm not sure how Golen is charging $6500 for a stroker engine. I still can't wrap my head around that. For that price he should be coming to my house installing it as well as removing the old one.

Got the parts from Russ Pottenger, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines. Phone: (626) 967-1000 and had the local machine shop do the work. Removed and installed myself. He ported and polished the head with larger valves via shipping. Little over $3.5k but haven't driven too many miles but running great.

You should talk to the Jeep owners from KOH; Russ Pottenger builds a lot of the engines that race at Johnson Valley.

Reactions: Chris
I guess I need to talk to Russ then. Sounds like I'll save a lot of money going through him versus Golen.

Reactions: wmblore
I'm going to talk to Russ first. If he's building for the KOH guys, I have to imagine he knows his shit.

Not to say Golen doesn't, but I'm sorry, $6500 for a stroker 4.0 seems like quite a bit more than I would expect.

I know you've experienced a few different power options for our TJs, why the Stroker this time between a fresh 4.0 and a Super charger?

I have talked to Russ on the phone. Very friendly and will answer any questions or concerns. He did not do the " trade secret" alot of builders do. If I am buying a camshaft from someone, I want to know the specs. 505 Performance used to pull that shit. " Dont worry about it, its gonna be great"

Yea, right.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
Subscribed. I have been looking into building a stroker for the TJ. As much as one of my cousins is trying to convince me to do the 5.3 v8 swap, I think for my purposes a stroked inline 6 makes more sense. Plenty of torque and smooth balanced delivery. There is a reason the inline 6 is still used everywhere. The only "exotic" part I have been looking into is the Edelbrock aluminum head. Mainly for the cooling and also shaves 30+ lbs from the block.

Reactions: Apparition