Where did you get your stroker engine from?

So for recommendations and parts I got from Russ, I couldn't be happier. Mostly his custom pistons and ported head with oversized valves and LS springs plus matching ported intake. Also the cam I got from him was from specs I chose but Russ recommended getting it through him and having it nitrided which I did. There has been a rash of flat tappet cam failures in the past 20-30 years and this is supposed to protect against that. So far so good. The rest of it is off the shelf stuff. One of the biggest things though was when I needed help with something, Russ was always quick to spend time on the phone with me to walk me through the issue and get it resolved. He's truly a stand up guy.

And for reference, I dropped a dirty motor and new parts off at my machine shop of my choice, and they gave me back an assembled short block sans cam, timing set, oil pump, etc. I installed all of the above plus the head and stuff, degreed the cam, and got it all buttoned up then installed it. Flyin Ryan did the initial tune and I'm trying to get that finished up.

It has bigger injectors, 1.65:1 roller rockers, custom 3" intake piping with a velocity stack, 65mm TB, ported head & intake manifold, large'ish cam, Doug Thorley header, 3" exhaust, and it's just shy of a 10:1 compression ratio.

It isn't an ideal setup for low end torque which is what most here would want. That being said, it's got plenty. Zero issue going down the highway with the cruise control on in 5th up hill going 80mph with 33s and 4.10s. I wouldn't want steeper gears for the road. It's a lot more power than stock. I enjoy picking on ricers with it.
Thanks for your input. How much do you figure you have tied up in you build total. I'm just trying to get an estimate of where I'm gonna be. I will be doing most of the assembly myself. You can pm me the details.

Oh boy, that's a tall order. I have been tinkering on motor stuff for 20 yrs with this thing. I'll try and find the parts and machine shop receipts to get a general idea, but a lot.
I'm interested in a ballpark figure also if you don't mind making it public.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
I'm interested in a ballpark figure also if you don't mind making it public.

Heck, I want to go for a test drive.

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
I finished my stroker about 2 months ago. I got all of the parts and the machine work on the head and block done my Russ. It's a 4.7 running a weighted crank, small increase in the cam, roller rockers, 24lb injectors, port matched head and intake, and 62mm TB. It does not have a tune since it must be able to pass CA smog. I put it together myself. You can look at much of the build on my build page.

Overall the cost was around $7K and it took a long while to get all of the parts. Supply chain is a bugger for nearly everyone. I'm very happy with the performance even though it's not a full screamer. Freeway driving is completely different. It's much more relaxed not having to worry about every little uphill.

Longevity was also a concern for me but with the quality of the parts I expect it to last a long time. That may not be much of an issue for me since I probably don't even put on 2K miles per year.