Where did you get your stroker engine from?

Let me put it this way. I put a charger on the 04 Unlimited with stock tires, auto, 3.73 gears. It ran very well. I acquired and installed a set of JK 32 factory take-offs in the street tread. I re-geared it shortly after that to 4.88 because I didn't appreciate the power loss.
Ahh, gotcha. Was that road driving that you noticed the power loss? I wonder how the torque curve on a typical sized 4.0 supercharger setup compares to an n/a stroker. Maybe better for the stroker below 2k rpm? Honestly don't know.

If the ability to break a Dana 35 is the metric by which we judge the need for more power, none of us would have more than a 4 banger.

Reminds me of this guy I saw climbing hills in his Suzuki this summer. Absolutely beat on it smashing into everything, welded rear end and doing a one wheel wonder in the front, floored the entire time. He was doing better than the lifted Jeeps meanwhile the Jeeps were falling apart. He broke nothing the entire day!

So in reading this thread it seems that Russ is the go to guy for a stroker. I saw the link to the Facebook page but I was not able to gain much information from that page.

If I am underthings correctly it seems that he will assemble a kit that can be used by me or a shop of choice to build my motor. Does he also build motors for average Joes or just for racing teams? Am I correct in assuming that if does and I want a complete motor from him it would most likely be a long wait?

The reason I am hesitant to just buy a kit is that I believe that the assembly is more important than the parts. I don’t personally know any quality engine builders in the Orange County, Ca area.

So I guess I am asking if anyone knows a builder that they would trust with the stroker build in SoCal or if simply buying a Golen or other off the shelf offering is better for a guy without the ability to build it myself.

Thoughts?

So in reading this thread it seems that Russ is the go to guy for a stroker. I saw the link to the Facebook page but I was not able to gain much information from that page.

If I am underthings correctly it seems that he will assemble a kit that can be used by me or a shop of choice to build my motor. Does he also build motors for average Joes or just for racing teams? Am I correct in assuming that if does and I want a complete motor from him it would most likely be a long wait?

The reason I am hesitant to just buy a kit is that I believe that the assembly is more important than the parts. I don’t personally know any quality engine builders in the Orange County, Ca area.

So I guess I am asking if anyone knows a builder that they would trust with the stroker build in SoCal or if simply buying a Golen or other off the shelf offering is better for a guy without the ability to build it myself.

Thoughts?
We ordered around 7/15, estimated build time 6 weeks, I expected 10, it isn't here yet.

We ordered around 7/15, estimated build time 6 weeks, I expected 10, it isn't here yet.
At least he got back to you. Russ never emailed me back like he said he would and that was after a long phone conversation with him and a few emails as well. I guess he just got busy and forgot about me entirely.

At least he got back to you. Russ never emailed me back like he said he would and that was after a long phone conversation with him and a few emails as well. I guess he just got busy and forgot about me entirely.
I was warned. I knew going in it would go this way. My choices were to either go with this way or not go. I'm not building a motor, I only trust a couple of folks to do it, Russ has more experience than anyone I know.

I will endeavor to avoid a situation that is currently going on. New eBay stroker install, been trying to get it to fire and start for over a week now. I'm pretty sure by the time they get it going the cam is going to be wiped out. I ain't doing that.

I was warned. I knew going in it would go this way. My choices were to either go with this way or not go. I'm not building a motor, I only trust a couple of folks to do it, Russ has more experience than anyone I know.

I will endeavor to avoid a situation that is currently going on. New eBay stroker install, been trying to get it to fire and start for over a week now. I'm pretty sure by the time they get it going the cam is going to be wiped out. I ain't doing that.
I am sure he will pull through for you. I could keep bugging him, but my thought is that if he doesn’t remember to get back to me, maybe he just doesn’t want my business. Or he’s just so busy he doesn’t need it.

I am sure he will pull through for you. I could keep bugging him, but my thought is that if he doesn’t remember to get back to me, maybe he just doesn’t want my business. Or he’s just so busy he doesn’t need it.
He really doesn't want to build motors. I slid in through a buddy who is good friends with Russ otherwise I'd be over there with you wondering why he won't take my money.

He really doesn't want to build motors. I slid in through a buddy who is good friends with Russ otherwise I'd be over there with you wondering why he won't take my money.

I wasn’t even trying to get him to build me one, I just wanted him to put together the parts I would need for a good build, but no luck I guess. I’ll wait to see what success you have with the stroker.

I wasn’t even trying to get him to build me one, I just wanted him to put together the parts I would need for a good build, but no luck I guess. I’ll wait to see what success you have with the stroker.
He will put a kit together for you no problem. Rattle his cage again.

He will put a kit together for you no problem. Rattle his cage again.

Okay, I'll do that.

I'll have to find an engine builder who knows what they are doing, but I'm sure that's a lot easier than finding a shop that knows how to outboard TJ suspension or install a mid-arm :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesval035
Okay, I'll do that.

I'll have to find an engine builder who knows what they are doing, but I'm sure that's a lot easier than finding a shop that knows how to outboard TJ suspension or install a mid-arm :rolleyes:
All of those things have one something in common. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
All of those things have one something in common. ;)
Russ has had a block and head for several months now and I periodically ping him to make sure he hasn't forgotten about me. He won't build the motor but is going to do the machine on the block and head and create the kit.

When I dropped off the engine parts he told me he had been talking with Mr blaine so yes, it can take a long while. Good thing is I had other projects to work on.

I got a call from him a week ago saying he had the head done and was getting to work on the block. He asked me what I would like to do as far as bore size and I told him similarly as mrblaine said. He's the expert and I just gave him my requirements (a bit of longevity and must pass smog). He can then set it up as he feels is best.

As luck would have it, my house flooded 3 weeks ago so now I'm displaced out of my house for another 2 months until construction completes. This means I won't be able to build the motor until I get back in my house. Still going to be a while for me.

Golen and it lasted a total of 1800 miles until a rod went through the block.

What do you have in place of it now?

That's a damn shame considering Golen charges fucking $6500 plus shipping for a stroker 🤦‍♂️

What do you have in place of it now?

That's a damn shame considering Golen charges fucking $6500 plus shipping for a stroker 🤦‍♂️
You are telling me. I pulled my original motor with 115000 on it put in the Golen, Along with upgraded injectors and throttle body And added roller rockers to it. Put in the proper oil and all. Started it up and did a few heat cycles. Then started driving it around town. Hadn’t even been able to really get into it yet and it blew. I had sold my original motor after install. It blew and I fought with them for 11 months before getting a refund for the purchase price minus the shipping to me and my shipping of the blown engine back to them and all the time involved with it all. In that time period I built a .30 bored block and a balanced rotating assembly. A got a head and had it lightly ported locally and put a set of roller rockers in it and threw it in my Jeep. It’s now got about 8k on it. And that’s how my Jeep is on it’s third motor and only has 125k on the clock. I always like to tell people in our club I’ve been through 3 4.0l and only have 125k on my Jeep when someone starts talking about how a 4.0l lasts 300k+. Just to screw with them. Then I dumped the extra money into my Atlas 4 speed.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris and psrivats
You are telling me. I pulled my original motor with 115000 on it put in the Golen, Along with upgraded injectors and throttle body And added roller rockers to it. Put in the proper oil and all. Started it up and did a few heat cycles. Then started driving it around town. Hadn’t even been able to really get into it yet and it blew. I had sold my original motor after install. It blew and I fought with them for 11 months before getting a refund for the purchase price minus the shipping to me and my shipping of the blown engine back to them and all the time involved with it all. In that time period I built a .30 bored block and a balanced rotating assembly. A got a head and had it lightly ported locally and put a set of roller rockers in it and threw it in my Jeep. It’s now got about 8k on it. And that’s how my Jeep is on it’s third motor and only has 125k on the clock. I always like to tell people in our club I’ve been through 3 4.0l and only have 125k on my Jeep when someone starts talking about how a 4.0l lasts 300k+. Just to screw with them. Then I dumped the extra money into my Atlas 4 speed.
Well that just gives me yet another reason I’d never buy a Golen stroker!

Russ gets behind with emails I've found, but talking to him on the phone seems to get the job done pretty well. I think he's old school like that. I've talked to him about needing a small part before, he said send him an email to confirm with my address (which I did) and he didn't reply. I waited a few days then called. He wasn't there and I left a message. The FedEx guy showed up with the part right before he called me back lol.

There is nothing super special about putting our motors together as long as the specs are adhered to and checked. Tolerances are relativity large compared to high hp/rpm race motors. I paid a ricer race shop way too much money to magnaflux, blueprint, line bore, torque plate bore, and spin balance my motor in addition to the standard assembly bearing clearance & end play checks. Will it matter? Probably not. It gives me a warm fuzzy though. Because race car.

Exactly this. Russ won't build for most people. I have talked to Russ several times and have quotes from him, but the one thing he refused to do is build it for me even when I asked and explained my level of knowledge. At minimum, I would would have had to find a machine shop to machine things to spec and then Russ said when I assemble it he'd provide phone support if I have questions. He said he also provides instructions with each kit (although I never saw them, they sound more like a spec sheet with each item). I searched around for a local engine builder, but the closest I could find is 5-6 hours away in Milwaukee and Chicago (and even then I wasn't sure who to trust).

The main reason why I didn't end up going that route is that I felt I was relying on one person too much and my fear of not having long term support should anything happen to him. If I found a reputable engine builder to build with Russ' parts I would feel better about that.

Last edited:
Russ gets behind with emails I've found, but talking to him on the phone seems to get the job done pretty well. I think he's old school like that. I've talked to him about needing a small part before, he said send him an email to confirm with my address (which I did) and he didn't reply. I waited a few days then called. He wasn't there and I left a message. The FedEx guy showed up with the part right before he called me back lol.

There is nothing super special about putting our motors together as long as the specs are adhered to and checked. Tolerances are relativity large compared to high hp/rpm race motors. I paid a ricer race shop way too much money to magnaflux, blueprint, line bore, torque plate bore, and spin balance my motor in addition to the standard assembly bearing clearance & end play checks. Will it matter? Probably not. It gives me a warm fuzzy though. Because race car.
It is all about perspective. If you have some motor building experience, the basics are inherent knowledge. If you don't, it is easy to make a giant mistake that ruins a lot of time and effort. I can outboard shocks with a Rear Anti-rock and flip everything around so it all plays nicely together in my sleep. I don't know of many with enough skill to nail that the first time without issue.

Reactions: j8ksdad