Where did you get your stroker engine from?

Russ lost my track of my head work for a little while too. He thought I sent him a intake as well and I had to remind him it was only the head as he try's to do things in batches. But I've been very happy with the results and didn't need the Jeep up right away. I still need to tune it. Installed the Wideband over the weekend now need to get in touch with Ryan.

One thing that has thrown me off from Golen is their website claims no tune is needed.

I guess we all spent our stimulus money on building a stroker. My local engine builder has had my block and edelbrock head since March and is finally getting to it....

The stock ecu running a stroker can be doable with mild compression and a mild cam if you use the right injectors, but isn't ideal. Big cam and high compression will start throwing codes, ping, and have all kinds of other issues. Golen's standard build isn't that crazy. Still not ideal, but it'll run, and run stronger than stock by a lot.

I recently picked up a 4.0 that I'm going to be do a rebuild on. I won't be doing a stroker, but will be doing some performance upgrades.
While researching the anemic support of performance 4.0 parts, I came across these guys:

Newcomer Racing

Anyone ever hear of them? I did watch several of their video's on you tube.
Although not my cup of tea, some of his engines make pretty sick power.

I recently picked up a 4.0 that I'm going to be do a rebuild on. I won't be doing a stroker, but will be doing some performance upgrades.
While researching the anemic support of performance 4.0 parts, I came across these guys:

Newcomer Racing

Anyone ever hear of them? I did watch several of their video's on you tube.
Although not my cup of tea, some of his engines make pretty sick power.

Haven't heard of them, but looks like they do some good work (y)

I’ve seen them, they build some crazy engines, IDK about the pricing though, haven’t reached out

I came across his website while looking for forged flat top pistons for my 4.0.
He's not cheap. I think his base 4.6/300hp stroker is $6k.

While not usable in 99.9% of the jeeps out there...... an 800hp stroked and boosted 4.0 is pretty cool.

Looks like you guys have reasearched a lot of options. What are everyone’s thoughts on the S&J Engines and Titan etc... did everyone end up just putting a kit together with Russ?

Looks like you guys have reasearched a lot of options. What are everyone’s thoughts on the S&J Engines and Titan etc... did everyone end up just putting a kit together with Russ?

never heard of S&J or Titan, I'm still stock though, and just got some interesting Oil pressure problems so well see, might be in the market soon. :oops:

I used ATK in my XJ a few years ago and regret not doing the mini stroker. The ATK rebuild has been working fine but I spent the same amount getting the P&P head work from Russ and the rebuild from the local machine shop with Russ's parts. Russ also gives the machine shop his contact info to answer questions like Blaine. The Newcomer vids are fun to watch and makes me want to turbo the XJ with a Boostwerks header

I used ATK in my XJ a few years ago and regret not doing the mini stroker. The ATK rebuild has been working fine but I spent the same amount getting the P&P head work from Russ and the rebuild from the local machine shop with Russ's parts. Russ also gives the machine shop his contact info to answer questions like Blaine. The Newcomer vids are fun to watch and makes me want to turbo the XJ with a Boostwerks header
$400, oucheee wawa

Instead of starting a Post, I'll bring this one back from the dead.

I was originally going to order a stroker from Russ back in the begining of the year, but Covid and other crap caused it to be put on the back burner.
I'm now looking to slowly start building an engine for my winter project.

To those of you that have ordered your parts or had Russ build and engine for you @Blaine, @SkylinesSuck
Did the engine meet your expectations?

Was there a noticable increase in power?

Also did you use the stock tune or have a custom tune done?

Any other mods to you engine, Injectors, rocker arms, throttle body, header?

What do figure your total expense was, machine shop services included.

Any issues.

I'll give a more detailed post later, but I'm very happy with what I got from Russ. Still trying to get my tune finished, but with the size cam I run, a stock tune probably wouldn't work well. And I was coming from a Golen stroker that died, but yes, more power than that. Different build though so apples to oranges.

Reactions: mrjp
So for recommendations and parts I got from Russ, I couldn't be happier. Mostly his custom pistons and ported head with oversized valves and LS springs plus matching ported intake. Also the cam I got from him was from specs I chose but Russ recommended getting it through him and having it nitrided which I did. There has been a rash of flat tappet cam failures in the past 20-30 years and this is supposed to protect against that. So far so good. The rest of it is off the shelf stuff. One of the biggest things though was when I needed help with something, Russ was always quick to spend time on the phone with me to walk me through the issue and get it resolved. He's truly a stand up guy.

And for reference, I dropped a dirty motor and new parts off at my machine shop of my choice, and they gave me back an assembled short block sans cam, timing set, oil pump, etc. I installed all of the above plus the head and stuff, degreed the cam, and got it all buttoned up then installed it. Flyin Ryan did the initial tune and I'm trying to get that finished up.

It has bigger injectors, 1.65:1 roller rockers, custom 3" intake piping with a velocity stack, 65mm TB, ported head & intake manifold, large'ish cam, Doug Thorley header, 3" exhaust, and it's just shy of a 10:1 compression ratio.

It isn't an ideal setup for low end torque which is what most here would want. That being said, it's got plenty. Zero issue going down the highway with the cruise control on in 5th up hill going 80mph with 33s and 4.10s. I wouldn't want steeper gears for the road. It's a lot more power than stock. I enjoy picking on ricers with it.

So for recommendations and parts I got from Russ, I couldn't be happier. Mostly his custom pistons and ported head with oversized valves and LS springs plus matching ported intake. Also the cam I got from him was from specs I chose but Russ recommended getting it through him and having it nitrided which I did. There has been a rash of flat tappet cam failures in the past 20-30 years and this is supposed to protect against that. So far so good. The rest of it is off the shelf stuff. One of the biggest things though was when I needed help with something, Russ was always quick to spend time on the phone with me to walk me through the issue and get it resolved. He's truly a stand up guy.

And for reference, I dropped a dirty motor and new parts off at my machine shop of my choice, and they gave me back an assembled short block sans cam, timing set, oil pump, etc. I installed all of the above plus the head and stuff, degreed the cam, and got it all buttoned up then installed it. Flyin Ryan did the initial tune and I'm trying to get that finished up.

It has bigger injectors, 1.65:1 roller rockers, custom 3" intake piping with a velocity stack, 65mm TB, ported head & intake manifold, large'ish cam, Doug Thorley header, 3" exhaust, and it's just shy of a 10:1 compression ratio.

It isn't an ideal setup for low end torque which is what most here would want. That being said, it's got plenty. Zero issue going down the highway with the cruise control on in 5th up hill going 80mph with 33s and 4.10s. I wouldn't want steeper gears for the road. It's a lot more power than stock. I enjoy picking on ricers with it.

What cam?

What cam?

IMG_20190925_225628.jpg

Reactions: mrjp